Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:44 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,001 times

Advertisements

Here are a few ( perceived by me) that are contributors to our failing economy.

1. Businesses ( corporations and small businesses) are so mismanaged and facing eminent failure or
marginal bottomlines ( middle ,district and on-site managers incompetent, slackers)
2. Lack of training orientation) and communication within companies resulting in massive turnover
workload imbalance creating

3. Corruption within corporate America ( widespread).

4. Unsustainable salaries and benefits ( part-time offerings aimed at avoiding full-time equivalent)

5. Lack of cost control /recovery/ debt management ( over zealous advertising, expense accounts,
excessive rental space , mismanaged vehicle fleet , overtime control, lack of sales techniques /
training energy control, buying locally , buying USA !

6. Small businesses lacking first impressions decor , ( eye appeal, cleanliness ) where customers
frequent sight for a multitude of reasons. Disfunctional owners with disfunctional taste ,

7. Merchandizing full of slow moving products , lack of inventory replacement/ control and scrutiny.

8. Lack of cash, knowing when to outsource billing ( to experts) knowing how to read spread sheets
corporately and basic revenue vs. costs reports in small business.

9. In fairness corporations and small buisnesses lack incentives , tax breaks and low cost health
insurance in order to afford matching 401k's , and general benefits .

Last edited by openmike; 10-12-2016 at 12:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 02:04 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
What indicators are you seeing that are telling you the economy is failing?

Old 10-12-2016, 04:41 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
Yes, I am curious too. Our company grew almost three times its size over the last 6 years, and we just added 3000 new jobs. Employment rate is so low around here that we are having trouble finding production workers, and have to take job fairs to high schools. I get so many job offers as an engineer, I have had to block three agencies from my smartphone to prevent all the emails and voice-mails from clogging it up.
In reality, is it really that bad across the US, or are skill-sets just lacking, or just regional pockets of job-loss?? I hear that US is dying stuff all the time, but (and I will say this again later), everybody I know (worker buddies, acquaintances from work travels, all my friends and family from CA to NC) are full-time employed, and upgrading their skills and remodeling their housing or taking trips. Seems like people that may not have work for some reason or other simply regurgitate 'THE SKY IS FALLING' crap from the election forums. I won't say there aren't areas of despair, but I have yet to visit anywhere to validate that this is actually the case. Maybe I am isolated because virtually everybody I know is doing well, and I am constantly in traffic surrounded by new cars.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:51 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
OpenMike in 2014:

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
With your permission I have to share my projections for 2015 and as the saying goes it ain't pretty! Being obnoxious and taking a negative position is way out of character for me so try not to get
your panties in a bunch!
1. Economic collapse of the international momentary system.
2. Largest market crash in US history
3. Attack on US soil by ISIS ( threats to leaders)
4. Pressure on Social Security ( US funding 50 billion yearly not
collected from payrolls)
5. Marshall Law
'Nuff said.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:10 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Many people are perceptive and can see problems. Few are wise enough to become leaders and innovators and actually make improvements. Our OP, or anyone who reads this and agrees, could make some positive contributions and succeed in life by learning to move past complaining and blaming. It is easy to complain, find faults, blame, and see the worst. But once in that trap it is hard to find a positive path.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:28 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,499 times
Quote:
Here are a few ( perceived by me) that are contributors to our failing economy.

I don't see our economy failing. From where I sit business is better than ever. We have difficulty finding people willing to work hard though, which is one reason why I'd like to see more immigration.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I don't see our economy failing. From where I sit business is better than ever. We have difficulty finding people willing to work hard though, which is one reason why I'd like to see more immigration.
Same here. Our budget where I work includes over 100 new FTEs for 2017, my wife and I are making more than ever before, our home is worth $300k more than in 2010, new construction is all over the place, office and condo towers in Seattle, developments of 100+ new 4,000 sf homes in our city. 2015 was a record year for new car/truck sales, and new plants are being built. Sure, there are a some parts of the country where the prosperity has passed them by, but generally things are going great in the economy.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:01 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:
Nope, don't need more people. Immigrants don't work any harder or smarter than U S citizens.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times
Quote:
I don't see our economy failing. From where I sit(didn't even have to change) business is better than ever. We have difficulty finding people willing to work for nothing, which is one reason why I'd like to see cheap, unregulated labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Same here. Our budget where I work includes over 100 new FTEs for 2017, my wife and I are making more than ever before, our home is worth $300k more than in 2010, new construction is all over the place, office and condo towers in Seattle, developments of 100+ new 4,000 sf homes in our city. 2015 was a record year for new car/truck sales, and new plants are being built. Sure, there are a some parts of the country where the prosperity has passed them by, but generally things are going great in the economy.
Wow, the economy is doing great in rich neighbor hoods with very expensive houses. In great, pretty places, where people with a lot of money live. But... "Sure, there are a some parts of the country where the they are being over taxed and the rich and gov are destroying business, but in my neighborhood things are going great in the economy"

Old 10-12-2016, 01:31 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times
Quote:
1. Businesses ( corporations and small businesses) are so mismanaged and facing eminent failure or marginal bottomlines. ( middle ,district and on-site managers incompetent, slackers).
Yes, but we have had this before and don't think it's new. My Idea is that we got softer and softer after the world economy collapsed. Emerging foreign markets and globalization has reopened competition that we aren't use to.
Quote:
2. Lack of training orientation) and communication within companies resulting in massive turnover workload imbalance creating.
I think it has always been there and been there for a reason. The group with the least amount of selfish individuals will out compete other groups. But, the most selfish individual in a group out will out compete their group members.
Quote:
3. Corruption within corporate America ( widespread). .
I come from Illinois, so I naturally think this has always been there.
Quote:
4. Unsustainable salaries and benefits ( part-time offerings aimed at avoiding full-time equivalent).
Yes, I would agree. Europe is trying to do this and I think it will backfire on them. Instead of having one guy that has one job. You have, most likely, two guys doing two different jobs. To add to this, I blame unplanned pensions as another reason for business, and government, hardships.
Quote:
5. Lack of cost control /recovery/ debt management ( over zealous advertising, expense accounts, excessive rental space , mismanaged vehicle fleet , overtime control, lack of sales techniques / training energy control, buying locally , buying USA
These are things that have happened in the past too. But in yesteryear you didn't have so many expensive parts in a fleet vehicle, fuel was lower, rent was lower, advertising was lower. And yes it did help when your parts where made across the state and not across the ocean.
Quote:
6. Small businesses lacking first impressions decor , ( eye appeal, cleanliness ) where customers frequent sight for a multitude of reasons. Disfunctional owners with disfunctional taste ,
How old are you? Businesses of the past were tacky too. To say they all were stereotypically clean and upbeat is absurd.
Quote:
7. Merchandizing full of slow moving products , lack of inventory replacement/ control and scrutiny.
Again, it was easier when it was across state. It's so important and trendy to have 'farm to table' food these days. How, do you think they did it for thousands of years. This isn't new and hip, this was the norm 40 years ago and back. Is the next trendy thing going to be well water?
Quote:
8. Lack of cash, knowing when to outsource billing ( to experts) knowing how to read spread sheets corporately and basic revenue vs. costs reports in small business.
We have all had this before, it's called free market. Darwinism of the financial world. No any rich person thinks that just because they have money, they are expert business people. When they fail or their establishment goes under it's the economies fault, not theirs.
Quote:
9. In fairness corporations and small buisnesses lack incentives , tax breaks and low cost health insurance in order to afford matching 401k's , and general benefits .
-Money would be my defense of lack incentives and general benefits.
-Don't get me started on tax breaks. In every company/corp. I have ever worked in they would spend twice as much if it could be used as a tax write off.
-"low cost health insurance in order to afford matching 401k's". What the what know? I think I just misunderstood this as it makes little since to me. Every company I worked for the two things are separate and they don't pay for health insurance, so that would never affect 401k matching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics