Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:01 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Something that the dems don't seem to understand: just because Trump and Putin can talk and enjoy each other's company that does not mean the Trump will hand the keys to the store to Putin. It also doesn't mean that Putin will suddenly go soft on American trade.

The world is full of people I'd enjoy talking to at the local coffee shop but that I have no intention of taking them home with me. If trump can arrange beneficial trade agreements with Russia, that benefits America. I very seriously doubt that Trump is going to enter into trade arrangements that harm America just because he and Putin enjoy drinking a beer together.

The way that the Dems talk and criticize the way that Trump and Putin can get along, at least superficially, they sound like they would prefer that the USA and Russia go to war. They are horrified that there might be some civil relationship between our two countries. It appears that they find it totally intolerable that the USA is not insulting and attacking Russia.
Probably because Russia has historically been a competitor of the U.S, & during the Cold War a practical enemy. What's good for Russia is not really good for the U.S., and Russia has never operated according to the kinds of human rights & democratic principles the U.S. purports to represent.

I just don't see the advantage, from the U.S. side, of becoming buddy-buddy with Russia. They are not, and have rarely ever been, our friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 10:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Better yet, how does a normal person even take advantage of this increased Trade?

I have a russian acquaintance who I play hockey with. I believe he is a businessman. I dont know what kind, but he mentioned it before.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:37 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
......... Russia has never operated according to the kinds of human rights & democratic principles the U.S. purports to represent.

I just don't see the advantage, from the U.S. side, of becoming buddy-buddy with Russia. They are not, and have rarely ever been, our friend.

The USA trades with lots of countries that have worse human rights violations than Russia does and very few countries in the world can be counted on as a "friend" to the USA and we still trade with all of them.

I don't foresee a lot of increased trade with Russia because they don't have anything we need. However, it would be foolish to publicly announce they are "the enemy" and we intend to boycott them, which seems to be what the Trump naysayers seem to feel is the best option. I have to point out that the USA and Russia were trading under the Obama presidency, but that is different because it is Obama and not Trump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics