Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 04:05 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times

Advertisements

Well when businesses lay everyone off, refuses to hire them back later because they are long term unemployed, won't pay market rates, and refuses to train new people to keep the pipeline full, this is what you get.

I have friends and family who are business owners and whenever I catch some of them for lunch, they all complain about how they can't find anyone.

I start to drill down the questions and it is very obvious why they can't find anyone.

I think it was Kia who opened up a new plant. Something like 3,000 people applied for jobs who had previous car manufacturing experience. Not a single one was hired and Kia complained about not being able to find anyone.

If you had previous union experience, Kia would not hire you. You where considered unqualified for the job according to Kia.

There are lots of reasons why businesses can't find people and most of the time it has nothing to do with not having enough people willing and able to do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 05:48 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Well when businesses lay everyone off, refuses to hire them back later because they are long term unemployed, won't pay market rates, and refuses to train new people to keep the pipeline full, this is what you get.

I have friends and family who are business owners and whenever I catch some of them for lunch, they all complain about how they can't find anyone.

I start to drill down the questions and it is very obvious why they can't find anyone.

I think it was Kia who opened up a new plant. Something like 3,000 people applied for jobs who had previous car manufacturing experience. Not a single one was hired and Kia complained about not being able to find anyone.

If you had previous union experience, Kia would not hire you. You where considered unqualified for the job according to Kia.

There are lots of reasons why businesses can't find people and most of the time it has nothing to do with not having enough people willing and able to do the job.
The Japanese and Koreans view UAW as a criminal organization that drove GM out of business. Even when GM was bleeding $40 billion in 2006, the UAW threatened to go on strike if health benefits were cut. What idiots! Of course a Kia or Toyota or Nissan manager is not going to want people like that in their plant.

Rather than going to lunch with them, why not start your own business and then you will finally learn what it's really like to balance the books and make ends meet. What it's like to deal with a lazy and dishonest employee who is literally destroying your business out of spite. What it's like to spend 10 hours a week on state and federal paperwork.

You will very swiftly become a Republican. I can guarantee it

Such a divide in our society. We're all on the same team, folks. Some of us just don't know it.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
At the end of October, there were 5,534,000 advertised job openings, up by 112,000 from a year earlier.
It's estimated that up to 80% of jobs are not advertised, so that statistic may not mean much.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

Such a divide in our society. We're all on the same team, folks. Some of us just don't know it.
Yup, and you can't have price inflation without wage inflation and expect everything to be OK.

We are in this together and companies decided to leave their employees behind.

Wage inflation would of been the best thing for this country. Instead, companies did and are doing everything in their power to avoid it.

I guess they don't think their employees are their customers also.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
The Japanese and Koreans view UAW as a criminal organization that drove GM out of business. Even when GM was bleeding $40 billion in 2006, the UAW threatened to go on strike if health benefits were cut. What idiots! Of course a Kia or Toyota or Nissan manager is not going to want people like that in their plant.

Rather than going to lunch with them, why not start your own business and then you will finally learn what it's really like to balance the books and make ends meet. What it's like to deal with a lazy and dishonest employee who is literally destroying your business out of spite. What it's like to spend 10 hours a week on state and federal paperwork.

You will very swiftly become a Republican. I can guarantee it

Just because someone once worked for a union shop doesn't mean they can't come to work for Kia and just do their job, get paid and go home.

I am sure there where lots of great workers in that pool of applicants they could of hired who would of loved to work for Kia in a non union shop, but instead they just blanket judged them all, that is that and then complained how no one is qualified.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:50 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You also seem especially concerned about sucking up and dealing with company politics. I used to work and hire in a very technical field. I do understand that a lot of technical people are introverted and outright nerds. Unfortunately even the most technical jobs require interpersonal skills.
Most jobs, the interpersonal skills are the main real requirement, because those who do the hiring don't know what to look for, other than interpersonal skills. So they hire people with good interpersonal skills without paying enough attention to their ability to actually get the work done. Only some workers have good enough interpersonal skills. And they usually aren't the same ones who have the best skills to get the work done well. Those who can do the work best need to gain other skills to succeed, but the most effective skills they could gain are the skills to become self-employed and work with the market instead of trying to work with petty bosses.

A good example is software development. When a big company, whose main activity is company politics, tries to do software development, it's full of bugs and poor design. When an individual programmer does the same work, as a hobby or one-person business, and does it several orders of magnitude more efficiently, the result is usually much higher quality, and bugs usually get fixed almost immediately when they're discovered, instead of going into a years-long backlog.

I know what I'm talking about, because I've worked for some of the biggest companies in the world, and some of the smallest. You might not see your job as being mostly company politics, but that's because you have so much skill at it that it seems effortless and not a problem at all. If something seems a lot more challenging, you probably perceive that as the real work, even if a more skilled employee could get it done far more easily than you.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:57 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Where is that plant? What's it being used for now? Is it possible that Kia didn't actually intend to use it as a new car manufacturing plant, but just wanted to demonstrate that they couldn't find qualified employees, before using the plant for its real intended purpose?

Old 12-18-2016, 12:09 AM
eok

Quote:
What it's like to deal with a lazy and dishonest employee who is literally destroying your business out of spite. What it's like to spend 10 hours a week on state and federal paperwork.
It should not be hard to screen applicants for honesty and diligence. The real problem is that those who do the hiring tend to be lazy and dishonest. They hire friends of friends, regardless of qualifications. They don't bother to screen them enough. When total strangers apply, who could do the job much better, they look for excuses to reject them, even when they're actually the most honest and diligent applicants. And when there aren't any friends of friends who are even remotely qualified, and they're forced to hire total strangers, they're too lazy to investigate them enough. They base their decisions on interview skills and other obvious indicators, not bothering to look for the most qualified.

Government paperwork would not be a problem for a competent company. It can be mostly automated.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Where is that plant? What's it being used for now? Is it possible that Kia didn't actually intend to use it as a new car manufacturing plant, but just wanted to demonstrate that they couldn't find qualified employees, before using the plant for its real intended purpose?

I believe it was in Georgia. Kia also received tax breaks from the state. There is or was a big lawsuit going on. I have no idea if it is still active.

If there was a true shortage of labor and businesses had to hire, wages would be going through the roof, LPR would be climbing up, businesses would lower requirements, they would start training and apprenticeship programs etc..... and none of that is really happening.

If I want to buy a car, but I only want something 2 years old with less than 25k miles and I only want to pay 50% of new cost, and I can't find any cars like that, it doesn't mean there is a shortage of cars to buy. And if I absolutely have to have a car, I either lower my standards and get something within my budget, or I keep my high standards and pay more.

Last edited by High Altitude; 12-18-2016 at 01:00 AM..

Old 12-18-2016, 01:44 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
If I want to buy a car, but I only want something 2 years old with less than 25k miles and I only want to pay 50% of new cost, and I can't find any cars like that, it doesn't mean there is a shortage of cars to buy. And if I absolutely have to have a car, I either lower my standards and get something within my budget, or I keep my high standards and pay more.
or you buy a nissan leaf with $10,000 rebate from city
http://www.metroenergy.org/index.php...oup-buy-draft/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics