Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:30 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The median household income is much higher than the median income. In other words, people have roommates, people have spouses, etc.

Do you really think that everyone you see working at Macy's goes to sleep under a bridge at night?

Also = people making $12/hour don't pay 30 percent in taxes.
Thats the kicker. IF your married or living with roommates than yea you can get by.. Barely but able to pay the bills. The 30 tax is a basic start as some pay more or less, like i said depends on your state and tax status. If your single and dont care who share the bathroom with than i can see them doing this, but most want to live on their own and need to be able to do so with their current job if they so choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 06:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
Quote:
If their workforce is 180k, and they plan to have a workforce of 280k, how is that not new jobs?
That's press release. They have been actively hiring, probably high turn over rate. Last I've heard the warehouse workers don't have the same benefits as executives. It's easy to say I plan to hire 100,000 workers. It's for news to avoid been target by Trump via Twitter. It sounds good like IBM. But the focus is on new college graduates for IBM, you never heard people over 50 being hired.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:58 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiishrimp View Post
I got Amazon recruiter contacting me, but no thanks. I don't want to kill myself working for them. I heard they work their workers to the max. No thanks.
Yep my husband had an interview where the interviewer straight up said that. He happily walked from that.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,710 times
All it takes is ONE competitor and this whole Amazon empire is going to come to a halt. I'm patiently waiting.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That's press release. They have been actively hiring, probably high turn over rate. Last I've heard the warehouse workers don't have the same benefits as executives. It's easy to say I plan to hire 100,000 workers. It's for news to avoid been target by Trump via Twitter.
So you're basically saying it's all lies, and your expert insight into this is the fact that Amazon, like so many other large companies, has high turnover and is always hiring. To me it sounds like a case of filtering information to suit your worldview.

Here is more recent info: Amazon will add 2,700 jobs at new $1.5B Kentucky hub

"In the end, the state, Boone County and the airport moved quickly to lock in Amazon, which will receive a $40 million state and local tax incentive and another $5 million from the airport. For its part, Amazon has promised 2,700 new jobs, 600 of which will be full-time. It has entered a lease of at least 50 years with CVG, where Amazon plans to build a hub every bit as impressive as DHL's massive North American hub here. The jobs will pay an average hourly wage of $26 with benefits, state officials said.

Amazon will build several facilities on nearly 920 acres of land, including a 3 million-square-foot sorting facility and a 350,000 square-foot loading dock. It also plans to build enough ramp space to house 100 cargo jets, more than what DHL has. Amazon already has a sorting facility near the airport, but officials weren't certain whether work there will complement efforts on the airport grounds."

Old 02-01-2017, 08:54 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
So you're basically saying it's all lies, and your expert insight into this is the fact that Amazon, like so many other large companies, has high turnover and is always hiring. To me it sounds like a case of filtering information to suit your worldview.

Here is more recent info: Amazon will add 2,700 jobs at new $1.5B Kentucky hub

"In the end, the state, Boone County and the airport moved quickly to lock in Amazon, which will receive a $40 million state and local tax incentive and another $5 million from the airport. For its part, Amazon has promised 2,700 new jobs, 600 of which will be full-time. It has entered a lease of at least 50 years with CVG, where Amazon plans to build a hub every bit as impressive as DHL's massive North American hub here. The jobs will pay an average hourly wage of $26 with benefits, state officials said.

Amazon will build several facilities on nearly 920 acres of land, including a 3 million-square-foot sorting facility and a 350,000 square-foot loading dock. It also plans to build enough ramp space to house 100 cargo jets, more than what DHL has. Amazon already has a sorting facility near the airport, but officials weren't certain whether work there will complement efforts on the airport grounds."
Amazon will just be transferring those jobs away from UPS and FedEx to the whipsaw-able contract carriers like ATI and Atlas. This is not good news.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:30 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times
Quote:
I remember the one near Phoenix was paying $12.

Please don't project emotions onto me I'm not made happy by a headline about Amazon hiring since it doesn't really impact me. I'm happy about things like beer and papaya salad.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-hub/97354612/

"The jobs will pay an average hourly wage of $26 with benefits, state officials said."

The new Amazon hub in KY.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:45 PM

9,373 posts, read 6,970,381 times
Somebody has to fly all the drones. We are building the USAF of the future at the same time.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:01 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Amazon will just be transferring those jobs away from UPS and FedEx to the whipsaw-able contract carriers like ATI and Atlas. This is not good news.
I don't know if the transfer of jobs will be a direct headcount loss of ups/fdx. The ecommerce space continues to grow pushing capacity limits of both carriers so it's very well possible it's an expansion of headcount in the space not a neutral shuffling

Old 02-02-2017, 03:41 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't know if the transfer of jobs will be a direct headcount loss of ups/fdx. The ecommerce space continues to grow pushing capacity limits of both carriers so it's very well possible it's an expansion of headcount in the space not a neutral shuffling
That is an excellent point, as sales continue to move from brick and mortar to online while global commerce and international trade continues to increase there is no reason to assume it is a zero sum game with shipping/warehousing employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics