Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:28 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You're the one that didn't read for comprehension. He siad that is what he is thinking but he does not know the specifics. This isn't the guy in charge of building the wall. You realize that, right?
Was he not the person you were using as an authority on subject? I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you did

Quote:
What do you think abou this statements that it's "going to be very effective" and allow agents to "do their job better"?
That's complelty fine as what he is wanting is an extension of what's existing not a 1500 mile wall

Quote:
Where did I ever say anything about the wall covering the entire run or being a certain height? That's a strawman argument manufactured by you.
Trump's plan isn't for sections of fencing or walls and that is what you are discussing is it not? I didn't mention the height

Old 02-02-2017, 10:40 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,149 times
Quote:
40% of illegals are visa overstays. The fact that we have two major sources of illegals is not a justification to not address one of them. We will eventually address both.
We will eventually have comprehensive immigration reform that recognizes the simple needs of people to cross our southern border easily in both directions so as to work, shop, vacation, visit relatives, or what have you.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Was he not the person you were using as an authority on subject? I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you did

That's complelty fine as what he is wanting is an extension of what's existing not a 1500 mile wall

Trump's plan isn't for sections of fencing or walls and that is what you are discussing is it not? I didn't mention the height
Read for Comprehension. I used him as a source to show that border patrol agents - the ones on the front line actually doing the task - believe that the wall will be effective. So who shall we believe on whether the wall will work or not, the agents actually out there every day or people on the internet giving their opinion?

I did not use him as an authority on how or when the wall will be built. He has no say in whether it will be 30% or 100%, or whether it will be a concrete wall or chain-linked fence. You know that. You're being intellectually dishonest.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
We will eventually have comprehensive immigration reform that recognizes the simple needs of people to cross our southern border easily in both directions so as to work, shop, vacation, visit relatives, or what have you.
We don't need "comprehensive immigration reform". The only thing "broken" is that we have not strictly enforced our existing immigration laws. Save the buzzwords.

A million people already cross the border daily to work and shop. The mechanism is already there for people who have been vetted and authorized.
Opinion: A million people cross the border legally every day

Old 02-02-2017, 10:53 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,068,210 times
Quote:
Walls DO work. Nearly every wall ever built has worked. That's why those that would be blocked by them howl so loudly when they go up and cheer so loudly when they go down.

It's rather laughable to see how upset people get over "the wall" while simultaneously insisting it won't work.
Well, the Great Wall of China was breached several times. Great Wall of China - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com Those of us that feel a wall will be ineffective are basing our assumptions on history.

And before you ask, yes, I do have a fence around my backyard. But do I think it'll keep a burglar out? No.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Read for Comprehension. I used him as a source to show that border patrol agents - the ones on the front line actually doing the task - believe that the wall will be effective. So who shall we believe on whether the wall will work or not, the agents actually out there every day or people on the internet giving their opinion?

I did not use him as an authority on how or when the wall will be built. He has no say in whether it will be 30% or 100%, or whether it will be a concrete wall or chain-linked fence. You know that. You're being intellectually dishonest.
I'm far from being dishonest in any form. You said boarder patrol agents wanted the wall, did you actually mean many walls in fences that only cover roughly 30% of the boarder? If that's what you meant to say it wasn't clear as you only referenced "the wall" just as Trump as which would imply a single wall

Old 02-02-2017, 10:54 AM

More evidence that walls work, no matter how much the moonbats tell us they don't.

Former Congressman Silvestre Reyes, who is also the former chief of El Paso Sector Border Patrol, believes the fence plays a big role to improve safety for both residents and law enforcement.
“From an officer safety standpoint and a managing the border standpoint, it’s very effective,” said Reyes.
While Reyes was chief of the El Paso Sector, he enacted the Operation Hold the Line, where all available border patrol agents worked a 20-mile section in El Paso to prevent people from running across the border.
He told Fox News that thanks to the operation illegal crossings in El Paso dropped from 10,000 a day to 500.
El Paso residents highlight the positives of living with a border wall | Fox News

Old 02-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm far from being dishonest in any form. You said boarder patrol agents wanted the wall, did you actually mean many walls in fences that only cover roughly 30% of the boarder? If that's what you meant to say it wasn't clear as you only referenced "the wall" just as Trump as which would imply a single wall
Border patrol agents want a wall in the sector they are working. I doubt the BP agent in Texas really cares about what the wall covers in Arizona.

I support building a wall wherever border patrol thinks it is necessary. You "inferred" that talking about "the wall" means a single continuous wall. That's your problem. Both sides, including wall opponents, do the same thing in referring to whatever the ultimate plan will be as "the wall". I haven't seen you or anyone else talking about how "fences" or "30%" in your opposition. More intellectual dishonesty on your part.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:00 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I have no issue with border walls, fences, moats, or whatever. It's just a matter of whether it will do anything or not. I don't know enough about our southern border to know how effective it would be. I do know people coming in legally and not leaving when they should is probably a bigger issue yet mass deportations are being fought against as hard as the border wall is.

Personally I think we need a little more of both. We can't continue to ignore the situation.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Border patrol agents want a wall in the sector they are working. I doubt the BP agent in Texas really cares about what the wall covers in Arizona.
That is in no way the rationale in the union leaders response so before you continue on about dishonesty you might what to slow down

Quote:
I support building a wall wherever border patrol thinks it is necessary. You "inferred" that talking about "the wall" means a single continuous wall. That's your problem. Both sides, including wall opponents, do the same thing in referring to whatever the ultimate plan will be as "the wall". I haven't seen you or anyone else talking about how "fences" or "30%" in your opposition. More intellectual dishonesty on your part.
You were all along posting in support of "the wall" and Trump's plan. Once I point out your source actually doesn't feel the need to have an entire wall or even the majority of the boarder covered now you support whatever the CBP agents want instead of "the wall" or trump's plan? Seems convenient and much closer to the dishonesty you are throwing around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics