Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:50 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Also, back in the 50s, the US was the only manufacturing base left in the world. Japan and Europe would need decades to recover (which they did).
Actually, years. Not decades. And of course we helped out in a big way with all that recovery, sensibly realizing that we needed the markets.

Quote:
The world was our deep fried oyster.
LOL! Three recessions in the 1950s and the Soviets beat us into space with Sputnik, making us look and feel like a second-rate power. Some oyster!

Quote:
Also didn't help that more women and minorities also competed for the same pool of jobs, although this is not as straightforward as a good nor bad thing.
The 50's were characterized by the ravages of Jim Crow and a misogynistic "happy homemaker" form of gender discrimination. Women were told not to worry their pretty little heads and that they should do volunteer work (that's where you work, but you don't get paid for it) if they were somehow unfulfilled by a life of endless household chores such as cooking, cleaning, and sewing in the company of no one over the age of five all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 10:29 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Yes, but my genetic disability has mildly impaired my motor skills of my whole body, and I do things a little slower as a result.
You've got company here; my spine had to be fused at the age of 10; the fused portion is holding up just fine, but the part subject to the laws of Mother Nature is growing some new kinks.Two years ago, I could still hold my own in an Amazon warehouse, but no longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
b.s.
Would that it were so; when I was 17, I was given a test which evaluated both purely mental skills, but added a physical component -- after every mental test, i had to work a physical "puzzle" to dIsplay the correct answer, and my overall scores were affected. Motor skills issues, unfortunately, are real.

So I'm now in the process of seeking something new again-- not an easy fit for somebody who will turn age 68 in four months. For the time being, I'm working seasonally in a theme park; I'll keep looking. I don't do this for the paycheck as much as I do to stay active, because as Bobby Bowden once said. "the problem with (complete and total) retirement is that it makes you think too much about the Next Big Event".

OP, have you investigated Vocational Rehabilitation? Every state has such a program, and they will pay for a wide variety of training -- including college up to the baccalaureate level, if you're qualified.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-07-2017 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-07-2017, 11:40 AM

23 posts, read 30,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
In the 50s, half the world was rebuilding and the U.S. had a GDP equivalent to many countries put together.
This jumpstart allowed for the creation of a sizeable stable middle class that frankly never existed anywhere before and will never exist in that way again.

Shortly after, offshoring production to cheaper labor and the creation of multiple venues to obtain credit allowed Americans to "afford" a falsely elevated lifestyle that was again...unprecedented and unsustainable.

You want back a unique, irretrievable piece of history built on a house of cards.
Stan4 nailed it. Through the accident if geographic isolation (ie in the abscence of ICBMs), WW2 left a large share of the world's intact industrial capiltal in the USA. Workers benefitted from this with high wages. In most times and places throughout human history labor has been very very cheap; we are reverting to the norm.

If more voters understood this, we could have an intelligent national debate about how to avert or ameiorate it.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:05 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post

The 50's were characterized by the ravages of Jim Crow and a misogynistic "happy homemaker" form of gender discrimination. Women were told not to worry their pretty little heads and that they should do volunteer work (that's where you work, but you don't get paid for it) if they were somehow unfulfilled by a life of endless household chores such as cooking, cleaning, and sewing in the company of no one over the age of five all day long.
Agreed! -- but how do you and the other Lefty trolls, and the overgrown children to whom you pander plan to address this? (Yeah, we know -- more taxes, more bureaucracy, more nanny-state, and the same old discontents.)

As Walt Kelly put it. "We have met the enemy, and he is us"; The only real answer is to examine your own wants, and your own options. Our society is more diverse, and offers more options than ever.

But you can't legislate equality, security, prosperity, morality or happiness. Too many of the people here just can't seem to grow the maturity to recognize this. And those shilling for Big Brother hope they never will.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:44 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
You may not realize that the above makes no actual sense at all, being but another round of manufactured heterodox nonsense piped into the marketplace of ideas by the fake-news agents of disinformation.

The purposes of the"more perfect union" that the founders long ago crafted were -- and still are -- to establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity. It is an activist agenda that we are charged with carrying out here. We don't have much need for cowards who will only shrink from the task.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:55 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
While the gap has at least stopped widening of late, it is still true that the return to early years (pre-30ish) spent in education is far greater than the return to early years spent working.
I do see value in education, but how would you explain so many unemployed grads? At what point does education become redundant to a workforce?

Old 05-07-2017, 03:05 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I do see value in education, but how would you explain so many unemployed grads? At what point does education become redundant to a workforce?
College isn't a free pass to a job, if someone is going to college instead of gaining work experience via working way up, they need to gain something to compensate, and 4 years of reading books is not compensation for 4 years of work experience

they need something beyond reading books and doing homework, so why do they not have that? it's easy to explain why there are unemployed grads, they aren't graduating with anything to show for it

now explain why they don't have something to show for it? how come they think it's fine to borrow $ and not put in effort to gain something to pay it off?

Old 05-07-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

OP, have you investigated Vocational Rehabilitation? Every state has such a program, and they will pay for a wide variety of training -- including college up to the baccalaureate level, if you're qualified.
He isn't a candidate for rehabilitation because he's not gotten any skills to rehab from. "They will pay" is the telling sentence in your post. Public funds for training and college is more likely to enable him to the system. What kind of job can he be trained for that he can't get on his own? And as I stated earlier, we have an over-educated under-employed nation NOW.

It'd be less tax payer dollars if he just tricked the system into giving him SSI for life.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:09 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Why don't either governments or private sector create jobs (even if that job creation is artificial) that can be had once out of high school like a lot of jobs were in the 50's? I'm 25, it's a very miserable time to be growing up, especially since even I haven't established myself in the adult world yet. I would love to go to a time machine and travel to the 50's, even if only for the opportunity to live a better quality of life. I'm struggling to make myself and find even a very low-level job. I kind of have a disability, and it makes it a little harder. Robots and automation will probably destroy it before I get to "make" myself and I'll be too late.
Part of the answer is that time marches on, but part of it is also because there has been a deliberate attempt to create an underclass. Numerous methods have been used.

Dr. Richard Day gave a speech in 1969 regarding the agenda of the global elite. He asked people not to take notes. But one guy who was listening to the speech did, and he made a tape of his notes and released it in 1988. It's pretty shocking how much of that agenda has come to pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcGq...6kytem2XLB7nOg

Old 05-07-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
College isn't a free pass to a job, if someone is going to college instead of gaining work experience via working way up, they need to gain something to compensate, and 4 years of reading books is not compensation for 4 years of work experience

they need something beyond reading books and doing homework, so why do they not have that? it's easy to explain why there are unemployed grads, they aren't graduating with anything to show for it

now explain why they don't have something to show for it? how come they think it's fine to borrow $ and not put in effort to gain something to pay it off?
Most jobs that do not require college have their own on-the-job training.

Everything from stocking shelves, delivering packages, to highly skilled trades are OTJ training.

In my case I got a job in a mechanic shop cleaning up, One day one of the mechanics was busy so they had me take apart a brake job, The next time I put the brake job back together with some supervision. After that I did it all myself with no one standing over me. From there I just kept expanding my ability and before I knew it some kid I'd never seen before was sweeping the floor and asking me if I needed any help. No college, just motivation.

Any advanced training was paid for as needed by my employer.

THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE.

If you do get your act together it's not gonna be because of some tax funded program.

Quit pi**ing away other peoples tax money and get the hell to WORK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics