Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,164 times

Advertisements

Well my friends we are about to witnesses an even bigger Asian revolution. Will the East finally take control out of the West hands?

Alibaba (BABA) Overtakes Walmart (WMT) As Largest Retailer By Gross Volume | International Business Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 01:24 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
The west still holds the military cards and the dollar is still accounting for more than 60 percent of global reserves. If you add in the World War Two victory zones and include Japan and Europe as the "west", then the "east" has quite an uphill fight before it "takes control" economically, militarily, or politically.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Alibaba is the largest online store in the world. They sell to an international customer base. They sell things that the majority of American retailers will never handle in their store, as most retailers have one type of goods. Alibaba will sell you about anything you want, at a price that can't be beat. They sell in large lots to American Retailers.

They make Amazon look like small fry in the internet marketing business.

I have been looking at and considering a home greenhouse, aluminum frame and special panels for the glazing. Size I want is about $1,000 including shipping is from China.

The exact same exact one (same manufacturer) at a big box store in my shopping area, is $4,800.

We will put it in this fall. Which source do you think I should buy through?

Old 06-13-2017, 08:51 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Alibaba's a pass through retailer. Most of their retail operations happen via an ebay type model, so it's not quite the same, but impressive nonetheless. Being a platform that connects sellers to buyers, isn't quite the same as being a pure retailer.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
The west still holds the military cards and the dollar is still accounting for more than 60 percent of global reserves. If you add in the World War Two victory zones and include Japan and Europe as the "west", then the "east" has quite an uphill fight before it "takes control" economically, militarily, or politically.
Trump's isolationitic economical politics would eventually push an alternative economy where the nation will trade more with China and Little by Little less with USA, that will shift the balance.

Military very unlikely will shift the things, There is Russia the First or Second military power in the World sunken in a economy where russians are decreasing in numbers and manufacturing is not any long as bg as I was.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Alibaba's a pass through retailer. Most of their retail operations happen via an ebay type model, so it's not quite the same, but impressive nonetheless. Being a platform that connects sellers to buyers, isn't quite the same as being a pure retailer.
The pure retailers in the U.S. of any size, have their own online shopping outlets. Except for small mom and pops stores, there are no longer what was formerly the pure retailer type companies in this country.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Alibaba is the largest online store in the world. They sell to an international customer base. They sell things that the majority of American retailers will never handle in their store, as most retailers have one type of goods. Alibaba will sell you about anything you want, at a price that can't be beat. They sell in large lots to American Retailers.

They make Amazon look like small fry in the internet marketing business.

I have been looking at and considering a home greenhouse, aluminum frame and special panels for the glazing. Size I want is about $1,000 including shipping is from China.

The exact same exact one (same manufacturer) at a big box store in my shopping area, is $4,800.

We will put it in this fall. Which source do you think I should buy through?
If you can handle the logistics, aren't afraid of not receiving something from sending money overseas, are adept at getting your items through customs and think you can do it all cost efficiently, then by all means, use Alibaba.

Of course, if you have those skills, then you're already an import/exporter anyway. Huge word of warning. Buying from Alibaba is not buying from Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics