Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:05 PM

510 posts, read 717,372 times

Advertisements

Yup. Dropped a letter on the scumbag who was ripping off my aunt's money. Scumbag had gotten guardianship and POA and no one believed she was a thief and/or wouldn't do anything. So I sent the IRS after her - she wasn't gonna declare all the $$ she stole, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 07:10 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,301,029 times
I don't have any proof, but one person has told me of another person cheating. Supposedly, this guy runs a restaurant and everyone pays in cash so he doesn't have to report it. He has some nice vehicles.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:31 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,403,183 times
no, more power to them,
and they will be caught one day

Old 09-06-2017, 08:01 PM

7,652 posts, read 4,616,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't have any proof, but one person has told me of another person cheating. Supposedly, this guy runs a restaurant and everyone pays in cash so he doesn't have to report it. He has some nice vehicles.
A cash based restaurant is cheating on its taxes?!?!:sh ocked:

There are better ways to get paid. If you have no proof, and all the dude does is feed you and drive a nice car, I'd leave the guy alone.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 PM

7,652 posts, read 4,616,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
Yup. Dropped a letter on the scumbag who was ripping off my aunt's money. Scumbag had gotten guardianship and POA and no one believed she was a thief and/or wouldn't do anything. So I sent the IRS after her - she wasn't gonna declare all the $$ she stole, right?
This is more appropriate, yes. Albeit POA is going to make your fight tougher.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 PM

876 posts, read 814,846 times
No, I the gov't is wasting enough of our money, if someone figures out how to cheat, they will get caught eventually, or not. Not my business. I suppose if I had a personal vendetta against them I might be tempted, but it would have to be HUGE for me to snitch on them.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:14 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
I didn't know there was an official whistleblower office. I'm not sure it existed, back when I reported someone. This guy was very bad news; a con artist really taking advantage of innocent people, including poor people who couldn't afford to lose money. I won't go into a lot of it, but one of his scams was somehow orchestrating being rear-ended in his car, and working with a crooked lawyer and doctor to sue the people for incapacitating him. (Of course, he was fine, but he'd collect insurance money.) This was just a side scam to his main thing, which I won't go into.

Anyway, I called the IRS twice, the 2nd time after waiting a year without seeing/hearing about any results. Nothing happened either time, so I gave up. I'd found out what bank he had his account in, and everything. Nothing happened. If anyone deserved to be reported, it was this guy. When he was arrested for dealing drugs, he pointed the finger at some other people, and they went to prison for years instead of him, even though they were innocent. The stories go on and on.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,461,680 times
Yes, twice. Didn't ask for the reward either time.

The first time was a person at work who made fun of me repeatedly "because I was stupid enough to pay taxes" on my salary. The first 10 or 15 times the comment was made I told them to back off and ignored them. When they started making comments about how stupid I was to other co-workers (still don't have a clue why I was chosen) I told them to stop. They didn't. The person was making around $30,000 and claiming a full exemption as a minister (was a mail clerk) and was claiming 6 children (had none, stolen Social Security Numbers.) The person was fired for other reasons after that and probably didn't end up paying a dime.

The second time was a charity that was taking in over half a million a year. A friend was trying to provide help in the same area and every time she tried to get people on board, they said they couldn't help because they already donated to the charity. The charity advertised everywhere and was fairly well known. When my friend finally decided to give up her efforts and just join the existing charity, that's when we found out all that existed was a fund-raising campaign. There was absolutely nothing else. The people running the charity paid themselves a salary that coincidentally matched whatever came in that year.

I don't care if someone "skims" on their taxes. The IRS doesn't even care unless it's over a certain threshold to make it worthwhile money-wise for them to look into it. So the people commenting that "they won't turn someone in for a couple hundred dollars"--those are the complaints that the IRS would throw away anyway.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 AM

10,915 posts, read 7,417,733 times
If I were really ticked off, I'd be tempted.
Most of the time I realize I'm not perfect, so I try to avoid throwing stones.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:52 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,882,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't know there was an official whistleblower office. I'm not sure it existed, back when I reported someone. This guy was very bad news; a con artist really taking advantage of innocent people, including poor people who couldn't afford to lose money. I won't go into a lot of it, but one of his scams was somehow orchestrating being rear-ended in his car, and working with a crooked lawyer and doctor to sue the people for incapacitating him. (Of course, he was fine, but he'd collect insurance money.) This was just a side scam to his main thing, which I won't go into.

Anyway, I called the IRS twice, the 2nd time after waiting a year without seeing/hearing about any results. Nothing happened either time, so I gave up. I'd found out what bank he had his account in, and everything. Nothing happened. If anyone deserved to be reported, it was this guy. When he was arrested for dealing drugs, he pointed the finger at some other people, and they went to prison for years instead of him, even though they were innocent. The stories go on and on.

The IRS whistle blower program is for tax cheats. It is conceivable the con artist you describe above was correctly reporting his total income, in which case the IRS isn't interested in its source. It sounds like there would be quite a paper trail on the ill-gotten gains, so it most likely would have been reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics