Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:10 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,581 times

Advertisements

I asked this question a while back (How is the economy where you are?) and had some interesting response.

Wondering how it is in your neck of the wood since Trump ran, won, got inaugurated . . .

I had written "I'm in the North East around NYC. I see a lot less shoppers and shopping bags than usual in the malls for this time of the year. Of course that can be attributed to other factors, including great weather this summer here.

I see lots and lots of unsold inventories in garden shops and nurseries, even though I am told that they ordered about the same amount of stock as last year.

Grocery stores are beating each other silly with discounts even though there are basically just 2 major players in the area."

Seems still true. There is more optimism and people who (I think) couldn't have cared about autoworkers in the Central Time Zone two years ago now think it's the right thing that those jobs are coming back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 07:12 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,345,141 times
Nothing has changed and neither Trump nor Congress have done anything to change anything yet. Typically it takes a year or two for new administrations to get things changed and for it to work through. IT takes time to get stuff passed and work their way through the system. So anything you're feeling now is likely attributed to the nation being on cruise control from the previous administration or endorphin high from hitting your favorite internet resonance chamber because neither Trump nor Congress has done anything yet.

Any expectations of anything other than grid lock hasn't been paying attention all these years. Republicans hardly agree among themselves and when a party has control they rarely seek help from across the isle. Trump is also very unpopular for a new President so it is unlikely his coat tails will carry many on them.

Thus the odds of major changes are slim and most of the rest is irrational exuberance. You usually see people grasping at straws just before the top crests and drops. We are far more likely to be heading towards problems than fields of green. Nothing to do with the President either although he will end up with much of the blame when it is all said and done.

Last edited by aridon; 04-01-2017 at 07:20 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 07:25 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Same crappy state it was in before he was in office.

Probably the same crappy way if Hillary won.

I doubt we will see a change for at least 2 years as noted above, so he has time to find out what he really CAN do and what he really CAN'T do. Happens for all presidents. I say it usually takes the first four years for them to figure that out, and to start to implement a plan, and the other 4 years {upon re-election} to actually get anything done, if they CAN do it.

Trump I think thought he'd totally get his way with the republican-lead congress, but he's finding out it ain't exactly so.

We will just have to wait and see.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:30 PM

749 posts, read 735,583 times
NOTHING significant has changed economically in the 2 months since Donald Trump was inaugurated. It just doesn't work that way.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:18 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Here in Asia there has been no change to the economy since Trump was elected, aside from a slight dip in the still very strong US dollar.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:58 PM

13,079 posts, read 7,523,914 times
Come wintertime Oregon and Washington will lose the Mexican and Latin American markets in wheat, apples, dried beans and lentils, and Xmas trees.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:01 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
It is about the same as it has been for the last 15 years or so.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
It is going great! My 401K is up biggly.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:10 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
It's a silly question because he hasn't even been office long enough to make such an evaluation.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:33 AM

106,708 posts, read 108,913,061 times
leading indicators are first showing signs now that we typically see early on in a recovery but 8 years later this time . it can take that long for any changes in what we do to first trickle through .

it may not be for years until see any effect trump has on anything other than just the markets perception of the future . he may save jobs here by forcing companies to stay in one area but we the consumer will likely end up spending more for things sucking profit dollars and jobs away from other companies because our dollars go elsewhere and tariff's and trade policy makes goods more expensive or in short supply .

anyone remember the computer chip shortage and the ridiculous prices when the gov't decided to impose trade restrictions on the chip dumping here ? our manufacturer's had no memory chips to put in computers as a result

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics