Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 12:28 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Between the fires, floods, mudslides, earthquakes, horrible traffic and high COL why would anybody want to continue living in California. I'm not being rude I'm just curious what makes California so desirable to so many people. Is it the weather? Proximity to the beaches? I'm curious.
legal weed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 02:39 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:
Between the fires, floods, mudslides, earthquakes, horrible traffic and high COL why would anybody want to continue living in California. I'm not being rude I'm just curious what makes California so desirable to so many people. Is it the weather? Proximity to the beaches? I'm curious.
The only thing I've experienced on that list since moving here is the high COL. Assuming that's out of the way, its much nicer than you apparently realize.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:17 PM

768 posts, read 718,930 times
Quote:
Family & weather. But I live two blocks from the beach & my house is paid for. But I agree the traffic is really bad, it's over-crowded, there's a brown/pink haze that hangs over the place most of the time, concrete jungle, political disaster, taxes are outrageous.

I've lived here since 1954, except for a temporary leave the last five years & I've never experienced a hurricane here. Maybe one or two twisters but they amounted to nothing. Floods? Yes. Fires? Yes. Earthquakes? Yes. Huge waves? Yes. No place is perfect. If my family were willing to leave California, I would be out of here. No offense to everyone else living here.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 PM

245 posts, read 382,520 times
I think the only way we will see rental prices come in Southern California is when the big earthquake hits.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
its all a game of Monopoly, depends on what side of the board your on.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:29 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Beaches, culture, Hollywood, diversity of restaurants, historical significance of various neighborhoods, moderate climate year-round, diversity of jobs, etc..

Some of those things you can quantify with a $ value, but all of those combined, you can't narrowly put a $ value on but people are willing to pay $$$ to be there for that.

On the surface it's easy to put what you put in bold but think harder.

Put it this way, assume you have unlimited money and COL is not an issue for you, where would you want to live and why? A lot of people if asked this question would choose the expensive cities, SF, NYC, LA, etc... but WHY?, their answer why is exactly the same reason why demand is through the roof in those cities.

Well in part it makes sense. However if I had unlimited money I still don't think I would choose to live in a place that had so many natural disasters. I would become a snowbird, live half the year here in FL, not necessarily where I am now, and the other half of the year in NC or TN.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:30 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The only thing I've experienced on that list since moving here is the high COL. Assuming that's out of the way, its much nicer than you apparently realize.

I actually think from what I have seen of it that California is probably one of our most beautiful states. I would just be afraid to live there.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:17 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
I actually think from what I have seen of it that California is probably one of our most beautiful states. I would just be afraid to live there.
All those terrible things you mention are much less likely to kill you than your car. If you're like most people you don't give driving a second thought, even though it's one of the most dangerous things you do. It doesn't really make sense to avoid an entire region because of infrequent and freak events. California is a great place if you can afford it and don't like four real seasons.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:24 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
All those terrible things you mention are much less likely to kill you than your car. If you're like most people you don't give driving a second thought, even though it's one of the most dangerous things you do. It doesn't really make sense to avoid an entire region because of infrequent and freak events. California is a great place if you can afford it and don't like four real seasons.
That's key. It is a beautiful place, and it offers just about anything anybody could want. Mountains, beaches, shopping, one continuous sun season, low bug count in the cities, and financial opportunites. What's not to like? Reason I left: 3 hours in traffic to get to mountains, and when you get there, there is trash all over the place. Or you have to drive and drive to find an empty campsite. Or drive and drive to find no parking at the beach. And when you do park, and come back to your car, find the window was broken out of it and something is gone. Or lines everywhere you go; shopping, post office, dmv, you name it. Either bumper to bumper traffic, or trying to get on the freeway at 75mph. I've been gone 31 years now, and each time I come back to visit family, I realize why I left. Some people have a high tolerance for crowds, and I respect that. Unfortunately, I don't, and rather enjoy the quiet out in the sticks. YMMV.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:56 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I see some sort of rent control in Southern California future.
NYC has it
New York STATE has it and, while revamped a few rimes since, it began in 1920. At present about 40% of NYC rental units are not regulated, while 60% are regulated under a variety of control laws from different eras.

Last edited by 17thAndK; 10-14-2017 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics