Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 05:47 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And they are unteachable? Or do the rich not bother educating them because that bites into their profits too much?
That might be a tad cynical, but given the degree to which we are conditioned, controlled and tracked for the benefit of the consumer goods industry, it may not be far off the mark.

And it's not just poor or stupid people, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And it's not just poor or stupid people, people.
It appears most of the population is susceptible to this addiction. The difference with poor people is that they can't really satisfy it.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
It appears most of the population is susceptible to this addiction. The difference with poor people is that they can't really satisfy it.
No, they often satisfy it... by means and terms that cement them into their economic position.

"Even the ghettoes advertise gourmet hamburgers." - Charles McCabe

Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
With economic income inequality negatively affecting a sizable portion of people in the United States what can be done to reasonably decrease this inequality?

This problem, according to the data, seems to be getting worse, not better. If true, this means more and more people will be suffering and struggling as long as this issue remains unchecked.

Wikipedia: Economic inequality
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_inequality

Scientific American: Economic Inequality: It's far Worse Than You Think
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...han-you-think/

You Tube Video (this video uses an easy to understand graph that puts the articles listed above in an easy to understand format) Wealth Inequality in America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Roads have to be built, railroads have to be maintained, we need someone to answer the phones when we dial the local emergency number and people to come to our rescue when called (police, fire, EMS) etc. etc. . The list goes on and on. Reasonable things cost money.

If we lower the tax on everyone this helps everyone financially but this will not get these reasonable expenses covered. If we raise taxes on everyone, these reasonable things are better covered but it negatively affects everyone financially.

The question also must be asked, is $1 to a person who makes $20,000 a year the same thing as $1 to someone making $200,000 a year?
Here's my priorities:
1. Better education
2. Strong economic policies
3. Higher taxes
4. Immigration control
5. Socialized medicine and better public transportation

Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 PM

10,749 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
And they are unteachable? Or do the rich not bother educating them because that bites into their profits too much?
The rich don’t have an obligation to educate the poor.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:32 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
I would be interested in seeing such an illustration, based on actual income breakdowns, in the U.S. at least. I think the richest assume there are so few of themselves that redistribution would not really help the masses so they may as well benefit. The masses may in turn overestimate just how much redistribution could benefit them. So what are the facts?

Depends on how we define "wealth". Cash? Investments? Real Estate? Businesses? Intellectual Property?It's impossible to put a dollar value on all of that.

I read one article that claimed the number including ALL wealth would be around $150,000 per household. If we go with just money in circulation it about $4,600 or if we go with all bank deposits it's about $41,000. Or we could average salaries so everyone got $150,000 a year. If that happens I'm applying for a job at Mickey Ds. No responsibility other than getting there everyday and asking if people want fries with that. I'd gladly trade my job for that one in an instant if it paid me the same as my current high stress PITA job.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
I think this is an interesting question. The problem is that the part of the education that really matters is from birth to maybe age 6. By the time the public schools get them, it's largely too late. How do you give a child born to a poor single parent household the upper middle class values, ethics, and culture that program them to be economically successful? I had college educated professional parents. I had it drilled into me from birth. I wasn't parked in front of a TV set and left to fend for myself. Because of my parents, I pretty much couldn't miss. I don't care how much money you hurl at public schools, you're not going to recover from 6 years of bad parenting. I don't see how this is a "the rich not wanting to spend" problem. It's lousy parenting, particularly lousy single parent parenting. Do we require training and licensing/permitting to be a parent with mandatory abortions if you get knocked up without a license?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:04 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That's a fundamental principle of the United States that dates back to the 17th century.

The problem in the United States is that there is no accountability for the poor to oversee the education and socialization of their children. If a child is a behavior problem in school and refuses to learn, that's not rich people causing the problem and it's not the school system causing the problem.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
To which my only thought of a post was, "Good gracious, no! --drive on, James!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's a fundamental principle of the United States that dates back to the 17th century.
And it stinks as much now as it did under the autocratic faction of the Fathers.

Quote:
The problem in the United States is that there is no accountability for the poor to oversee the education and socialization of their children. If a child is a behavior problem in school and refuses to learn, that's not rich people causing the problem and it's not the school system causing the problem.
True, but only in the sense of "Well, if you can't afford food, I guess you'll starve."

There is absolutely no such thing as a self-made millionaire... or hundred-$k'er or even comfortably working class. We all draw on the collective resources here, and some of us are stronger or luckier or maybe just more grasping at the game. But anyone who stands on the idea that they became secure/comfortable/wealthy all on their lonesome, without no help from nobody, and thus don't owe a damned thing back to the pool of resources (or anyone in it) - down to avoiding every tax they can - is...

...nothing I can say here without getting a firm rap from a moderator. Sing it, John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB2E6RX7W44

Hey, at least I didn't link to the far more vicious but relevant cut at [ByjghEZ7Xo8]... I'm not sure John would like that one.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There is absolutely no such thing as a self-made millionaire... or hundred-$k'er or even comfortably working class. We all draw on the collective resources here, and some of us are stronger or luckier or maybe just more grasping at the game.
I wish more people realized that! Most people seem to believe they owe no debt to society and government whatsoever for the $$$ they've managed to accumulate in their accounts. Try plying your trade in Somalia and see how it goes!

People have a very broad spectrum of talents, gifts, and accidents of birth, and additionally a wide range of conditions where they "start the game".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics