Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post

Capitalism doesn't naturally take care of this. That's why Marx predicted (correctly) that without major adjustments,capitalism would self destruct. The wealth/income generated by productivity advances must be actively distributed to the working/consumer class via wage laws, taxation, and public benefits.
Bingo!

A degree of capitalism may be great but unregulated capitalism is the complete opposite of a fair system for the majority and for the greater good.

While there are some exceptions to this (as with everything), what unregulated capitalism is good for are for the few (whether it be superhuman type talents, or the minority already in possession of wealth and/or power). Overall, as with most things not in moderation, unregulated (not moderated) capitalism is not good for the majority.

We humans all have a natural degree of selfishness and that overall, we are not good at policing ourselves individually when it pertains to this natural selfishness. Overall (and again their are exceptions to the rule), we humans will take more then what we need even at the detriment of the "greater good". This is shown in scientific study after scientific study and is no different then the natural selfishness animals in the animal kingdom show when they are hoarding/taking more then what they need for survival and potential times without. As long as this holds true (we remain human with natural selfish tendencies) we need mechanisms in place collectively and as a group/society/species to moderate and regulate this to a reasonable and fair degree. This regulation/moderation is done by fair and reasonable laws, taxation and public benefits (which is the result of fair and reasonable laws and taxation). You take one (or more) of any of those things away, if those things where at a reasonable level previously, society as a whole suffers.

Unfortunately, who makes the laws?

Last edited by txbullsfan; 01-13-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 05:58 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
LOL, it's not a bad thing that Walmart is giving bonuses and raising starting pay. This should be great for our community.

Many of the laid off employees from the few Sam's Club locations may be rehired as they transform those locations into facilities for online purchases.

I'm sure other companies will also give raises, knowing that Walmart is now paying $11.

Rents will soon necessarily skyrocket and many low-wage workers will become worse off than they were before the tax cuts.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
With economic income inequality negatively affecting a sizable portion of people in the United States what can be done to reasonably decrease this inequality?

This problem, according to the data, seems to be getting worse, not better. If true, this means more and more people will be suffering and struggling as long as this issue remains unchecked.

Wikipedia: Economic inequality
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_inequality

Scientific American: Economic Inequality: It's far Worse Than You Think
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...han-you-think/

You Tube Video (this video uses an easy to understand graph that puts the articles listed above in an easy to understand format) Wealth Inequality in America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Roads have to be built, railroads have to be maintained, we need someone to answer the phones when we dial the local emergency number and people to come to our rescue when called (police, fire, EMS) etc. etc. . The list goes on and on. Reasonable things cost money.

If we lower the tax on everyone this helps everyone financially but this will not get these reasonable expenses covered. If we raise taxes on everyone, these reasonable things are better covered but it negatively affects everyone financially.

The question also must be asked, is $1 to a person who makes $20,000 a year the same thing as $1 to someone making $200,000 a year?
Income inequality is a meaningless stat and means nothing.

Country D - Person A makes $100k/yr and person B makes $1 million/yr

Country E - Person A makes $20k/yr and person B makes $25k/yr

Income inequality is much greater in Country D, but I much rather be person A have that disparity than the more income equitable Country E.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:19 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,811,151 times
Quote:
Bingo!

A degree of capitalism may be great but unregulated capitalism is the complete opposite of a fair system for the majority and for the greater good.

While there are some exceptions to this (as with everything), what unregulated capitalism is good for are for the few (whether it be superhuman type talents, or the minority already in possession of wealth and/or power). Overall, as with most things not in moderation, unregulated (not moderated) capitalism is not good for the majority.
Capitalism in the U.S. is incredibly far from unregulated.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Income inequality is a meaningless stat and means nothing.

Country D - Person A makes $100k/yr and person B makes $1 million/yr

Country E - Person A makes $20k/yr and person B makes $25k/yr

Income inequality is much greater in Country D, but I much rather be person A have that disparity than the more income equitable Country E.
no one really cares about income inequality

all everyone cares about is getting theirs, once they have it, they don't particularly care about the rest

ask all the income inequality people why they don't invite the homeless into their homes and feed them? because they don't care that their own lives are better than other people, all they see is that other people have more than themselves

Old 01-13-2018, 07:36 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,599,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Rents will soon necessarily skyrocket and many low-wage workers will become worse off than they were before the tax cuts.
Only where you live....

Old 01-13-2018, 07:38 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,599,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
all everyone cares about is getting theirs, once they have it, they don't particularly care about the rest
Actually you'll find that most of the people who care about disparity already "have theirs".

Old 01-13-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

ask all the income inequality people why they don't invite the homeless into their homes and feed them? because they don't care that their own lives are better than other people, all they see is that other people have more than themselves
I "have mine" and work homeless shelter. I care about people even though I have mine but I see firsthand the unfairness on the majority of this largely unregulated capitalistic society. Thats why I created this thread and why I chose line of work.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Capitalism in the U.S. is incredibly far from unregulated.
I disagree with this statement. While this country has some degree of regulation, it is not "incredibly far from unregulated."

If a "0" is no regulation, a "5" is the middle of the road/reasonable and fair regulation benefiting the majority (think Sweden as an example) and a "10" is communism, the US sits at a 2 or a 3. Room for improvement and not "incredibly far from unregulated".

Old 01-14-2018, 06:47 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Quote:
I "have mine" and work homeless shelter. I care about people even though I have mine but I see firsthand the unfairness on the majority of this largely unregulated capitalistic society. Thats why I created this thread and why I chose line of work.
I don't understand then why you would mock Walmart's increase in starting pay. They are the one company that is most likely to hire people who've had hard times, like the people who end up in a shelter, the ones who are still able to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics