Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 03:48 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

I just filed a change of address at the USPS site and they charge you a dollar. Yes, you have to type in a credit or debit card number to change your address. It wasn't required a few years ago.

Any perceptive or sardonic comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 04:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Ma Bell used to charge 50 cents a month to keep your number unlisted. That's back when a half buck was actually money.

I'd suspect the USPS issue is not the money, but putting a tiny hurdle in the process and collecting valid identity to limit fraud, frequent changes, etc.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
It is to confirm your identity. Otherwise someone could prank you by filing a change in your name. Plus it does cover a small bit of the cost of processing the change and verification.

Safe and SecureSafeguard your information with ID verification by a simple $1.00 charge to your credit or debit card
https://moversguide.usps.com/icoa/ho...&referral=MG82

Old 02-19-2018, 04:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Change of address is free, if you go to your local post office.

In order to prevent scammers and identity theft losers from changing your address so they can continue to rip you off, USPS charges $1 for address verification on-line.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:31 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I just googled it and there are posts from yahoo answers from 2008 with people complaining about it. So it has been the case for at least 10 years, maybe longer. Sounds about right to me. I've worked in a property management office for 17 years, and I was going to guess it was about 10 years ago that people started complaining about it.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
USPS has to make money somehow.... there is a cost to changing your address and re-routing everything. Why shouldn't that cost be passed to you?

Old 02-19-2018, 04:53 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
I'd be happy to pay it, or more, if the change of address actually worked. I filed online for a change of address on behalf of an elderly relative over three weeks ago, and she still isn't getting her mail. The website says to expect the change to take place within 5-10 business days.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:17 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I'd be happy to pay it, or more, if the change of address actually worked. I filed online for a change of address on behalf of an elderly relative over three weeks ago, and she still isn't getting her mail. The website says to expect the change to take place within 5-10 business days.
I agree. I had massive problems with mail forwarding by the Post Office. I visited the local office numerous times, but even so weeks later some of my mail was being delivered to the old address. Eventually I had a big problem that I did not know about. Computershare closed out one of my accounts and sent the check to the old address. I never got the check or even knew the account had been closed until years later when I received an audit notice from the IRS. I eventually got the replacement check but I still had to pay fines and late fees to the IRS.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:47 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
USPS has to make money somehow.... there is a cost to changing your address and re-routing everything. Why shouldn't that cost be passed to you?

Well, I suppose they could charge higher postal rates to junk mailers.

Speaking of junk mailers -- here's an idea. When you put in a forwarding address, they don't forward junk mail. So, once every six months, change your address to the same address, but with one character different in the street spelling, to foil the computers. Send them your buck, and the junk mailers will be stymied until somebody sells them your new address.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:10 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default Try our government sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just filed a change of address at the USPS site and they charge you a dollar. Yes, you have to type in a credit or debit card number to change your address. It wasn't required a few years ago.

Any perceptive or sardonic comments?
Our "fees" for changing or getting ANYTHING in Canada is usually starting at 25. and ramping up to....a drivers' abstract change in one province is 38. and climbing. Everyone wants a chunk out of you nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics