Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 06:25 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Like the two examples I just gave. There are lots more where that came from.

Heck, I'll give you another one - even younger. This particular African American young woman is in her thirties. She was born to a single AA mom with a serious crack habit. She grew up in the projects, as her mom had. By the time this particular young woman was in her twenties, her mom had had a stroke due to her drug usage and the daughter was taking care of her and herself.

This young woman did not take life laying down. She worked her butt off. By the way, just for the record, this young woman is not beautiful - and she doesn't even know who her daddy is. But she applied herself in high school and she applied for every scholarship and every bit of student aid she could possibly qualify for - and she went to a local college. She got a business degree, while working in a nursing home AND taking care of her mom. Her mom's health improved, she got on disability, and the young woman graduated and began working for the US postal service.

She met a good guy, and they've been happily married now for about 10 years. She is working for the postal service and that's good retirement. Her husband has some sort of full time job in some field that pays decently - I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. But they own their own home. Their kid has a mother AND a father. They are solidly middle class folks and haven't made minimum wage since they were teens and she was working in fast food part time and going to school.

Her sister joined the military and earned her college education via the GI Bill. However, she has decided to make the Navy a career so I don't know the status of her college education. I do know that she is also happily married and has a child - in that order (same with her sister).

These are two AA girls who grew up on the streets, with a single, drug addicted mother and no telling who their daddies are, though I'm pretty sure they have two different dads. In their thirties, living balanced middle class lives full of soccer, mini vans, church on Sunday, drive thru food on practice days, going home to comfortable, safe homes and neighborhoods.
You know what makes them different.. THEY WORKED! i APPLAUD THEM for what they are doing. They didnt take a handi down and just soak up the rays on the boat, nor just go spend it on million dollar car only to go wreck it down the street and not bat a eye.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Never use excuses I totally agree, 99 percent of people are just victims of their own poor choices.

Not always the excuse of poor choices, more like wasnt born lucky.

We all ask our self when we see somebody else showing off their millions and wonder "WTF did i go wrong"

Old 06-21-2018, 06:29 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Not always the excuse of poor choices, more like wasnt born lucky.

We all ask our self when we see somebody else showing off their millions and wonder "WTF did i go wrong"
Who cares man, it is just money, if you define only by money can you have a lot to learn.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Who cares man, it is just money, if you define only by money can you have a lot to learn.

Now days you are judge by just that.. money.. take a look at some of the members here on CD.. if you aint got it, your consider a loser in life and/or didnt work hard enough for it.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Now days you are judge by just that.. money.. take a look at some of the members here on CD.. if you aint got it, your consider a loser in life and/or didnt work hard enough for it.
Don't let it get to you. Remember all these self made millionaires who never made a bad decision in their life are still just anonymous internet posters, they might be the real deal or they might live in a single wide trailer in West Virginia living off a $750 month SSI check, so take it all with a grain of salt. The truly successful people I've met don't have the time or inclination to brag about it on internet forums or chat rooms.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:07 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Yea their is alot of people making more then me and STILL have to live with roommates. Know why, COL/Greedy LL/ Low pay in high COL.. pick your poison. Should be here is 40 hours, and here is a house without a leaky roof. But we know houses aint cheap because of local laws, labor, and profit to be had with the banks. But a simple 500sq one bed room home can be built and can be something for a single min wage person that doesnt cost them 100k.. why are we not building them?
Perhaps you can show me how much a 500 sq ft home can be built for? Why is that house so expensive? Well because they couldn't get skilled people to build it for minimum wage for one. I think you should be building those inexpensive home for people-it's truly a noble cause.
You also said that you are not a pack of roaches to be packed together. How does that 500 sq foot place work for a family. Are you ready to move your family into one of them?

You really are quite stubborn. It's been explained to you about the costs of landlording and that they are not all greedy, but you refuse to accept it. That's okay. Kyrie Irving believes the world is flat. Wahtever gets you on in life. Of course you've demonstrated in many threads you don't have the gumption to work for reward, just expect the world to change and give it to you.
You also forgot the high pay in a high COL area. I know people making over 6 figures that purposely live with room mates. The reason-they will sacrifice having a home now in order to get a home later with more money saved and save for the future in retirement.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:13 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,276,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've seen it posted many times here, with sources. I've posted it myself with sources. Just google "characteristics of minimum wage workers."

Saying you posted something is not proof. FDR passed the min wage law and he himself said that it was meant to be a living wage so whoever works it now is irrelevant that kind of stuff changes all the time. That's like saying I buy a chair and use it for storing items on it. That I am using it as a storage space does not change that it was originally created to be sat on. Who do you think are working these jobs during the day when people are at school or late at night most likely not students.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No I love people who add value to society. That would be construction workers who are building roads bridges, and buildings, doctors and nurses who are taking care of people's health, teachers who are educating people. Not a bunch of lazy do nothing bums who sit at their computers all day buying and selling stocks. Those people contribute nothing to society. If they disappeared tomorrow, they would not be missed. On the other hand if all the workers disappeared tomorrow, the 1%ers would be screwed.
Wait, so the bums who sit behind computers all day and invest are useless? Well I guess the millions of everyday americans won't miss having a retirement fund not grow in value. Those millions will get to retire in poverty because their money wasn't invested and grew.

Sounds pretty short sighted on your part. Also you sound very jealous of others success.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
We have a inheritance and the stipulation we have to work for 20 years to get it started, parents made sure we work our way through life instead of just getting rich quick on their deaths. Too bad the others cant seem to figure that out. instead here is your million enjoy, no need to work for it. What are you telling your kids that they dont need to work to earn their way in life and to keep the tradition of just handy down their wealth. we can assume they they would never learn how to mow the grass or change a tire.
Wow, I finally see where you are coming from.

The reason you won't work hard to get a better life and a house is because you know that down the road you are going to be given money for nothing from your parents.

Why work now when you know you have a payday down the line without lifting a finger. Then you get to become one of those rich kids who did nothing to earn their wealth-you know, the ones you put down all the time.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:23 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
Because it's so much easier for them to believe that 99% of the people are lazy, rather than believe that 1% are greedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics