Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Sadly, I think we're entering a period of overall less prosperity than in immediate post WWII-circa 2000 period. The top 10%-20% are doing well. Below that, it's incredibly shaky.

I'm extremely hesitant to make any long term commitments to anything. Nothing is solid anymore, and I don't mean in the "thirty years and a golden watch" sense - I'm talking a year's timeframe, tops.

I was moved to an office near my condo about three month's ago. The building sold and we have to vacate in a few months. More staff are being moved here, until the end of the year at most, and no one knows where they'll end up working. I may be moved to an office fifty miles away. Given the organizational changes, we basically plod along week to week wondering if we're going to still be employed. If I lose my job, then I have to move.

You can't make long-term commitments with that kind of insecurity.
I feel the same way. I am plowing away as much as possible because I fear what's coming down the pike. I am much more anxious about the future than I was even a couple of years ago. In my field, we are facing a Medicare overhaul for rehab reimbursement coming this October, and layoff talks abound. I'm very glad I'm not facing this as a new grad with a mortgage-sized loan payment to worry about on top of normal living expenses. It will be awful for them if the field collapses (as pharmacy has) when they've barely gotten to use their degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 12:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
I work every bit of overtime I can without endangering my well being. Right now, we're uncapped, and I've been averaging 12-13 hour days for 6 days a week. Got to save while you can.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:38 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I work every bit of overtime I can without endangering my well being. Right now, we're uncapped, and I've been averaging 12-13 hour days for 6 days a week. Got to save while you can.
I'm exempt. I'm paid the same whether I'm working a long week or a short one. If I start working too many long ones, I'd definitely be looking for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I feel the same way. I am plowing away as much as possible because I fear what's coming down the pike. I am much more anxious about the future than I was even a couple of years ago. In my field, we are facing a Medicare overhaul for rehab reimbursement coming this October, and layoff talks abound. I'm very glad I'm not facing this as a new grad with a mortgage-sized loan payment to worry about on top of normal living expenses. It will be awful for them if the field collapses (as pharmacy has) when they've barely gotten to use their degrees.
I live in a small metro. Health related fields have historically been the best thing here, but even that is at risk as rural and small community hospitals face continued financial headwinds and declining reimbursement rates.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I'm exempt. I'm paid the same whether I'm working a long week or a short one. If I start working too many long ones, I'd definitely be looking for something else.
I only do this as hourly. I'd never do it exempt. We're not union, or public sector, but we still have nice perks such as double-time above 51 hours, generous holiday pay (triple-time). Missed the pension (I was literally too young to work here when the company still offered it) but the 401(k) match of 6% 1:1 matches not only base pay but overtime.

I see this opportunity as "use these perks while you can, because not every employer offers this." I plan on staying as long as they'll have me.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Sadly, I think we're entering a period of overall less prosperity than in immediate post WWII-circa 2000 period. The top 10%-20% are doing well. Below that, it's incredibly shaky.

I'm extremely hesitant to make any long term commitments to anything. Nothing is solid anymore, and I don't mean in the "thirty years and a golden watch" sense - I'm talking a year's timeframe, tops.

I was moved to an office near my condo about three month's ago. The building sold and we have to vacate in a few months. More staff are being moved here, until the end of the year at most, and no one knows where they'll end up working. I may be moved to an office fifty miles away. Given the organizational changes, we basically plod along week to week wondering if we're going to still be employed. If I lose my job, then I have to move.

You can't make long-term commitments with that kind of insecurity.
Don't forget the early 80's was the time of the worst unemployment since the Great Depression... 15% home mortgages.

The 70's were no picnic either... with Stagflation, Energy Crises... Gas Lines... tons of American Auto Inventory with no market due to Gas Rationing... yes Rationing.

Yep... very uncertain times for sure...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-11-2018 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: added 15% home mortgage

Old 08-09-2018, 07:47 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Don't forget the early 80's was the time of the worst unemployment since the Great Depression...

The 70's were no picnic either... with Stagflation, Energy Crises... Gas Lines... tons of American Auto Inventory with no market due to Gas Rationing... yes Rationing.

But we had wide lapels, wide ties, and big hair, so our perception was positive.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But we had wide lapels, wide ties, and big hair, so our perception was positive.
Bell Bottoms too!

Ironic we survived...
Don't forget the early 80's was the time of the worst unemployment since the Great Depression...

Quote:
nice perks such as double-time above 51 hours, generous holiday pay (triple-time).
Tell your boss you just want to work hours over 51!!!
  • I averaged 37% OT during 32 yrs of night shift factory work, usually 4PM - 4AM, (I also had (2) PT jobs on weekends) trucking in Mtns 13 hrs / night.
  • Did school in my free time. (7am until 2PM)
  • Not much time for spending money.
  • My FT job went 100% into investments, (bought my first home @ age 18 (for my parents to live in)
  • My OT funded non-depreciating toys (farm equipment and tools)
  • I lived off my PT income (and still saved plenty)

Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Tell your boss you just want to work hours over 51!!!
  • I averaged 37% OT during 32 yrs of night shift factory work, usually 4PM - 4AM, (I also had (2) PT jobs on weekends) trucking in Mtns 13 hrs / night.
  • Did school in my free time.
  • Not much time for spending money.
  • My FT job went 100% into investments, (bought my first home @ age 18 (for my parents to live in)
  • My OT funded non-depreciating toys (farm equipment and tools)
  • I lived off my PT income (and still saved plenty)
Sounds like we'd have lots of "war" stories to tell! At this point in time, any extra hours I work are going to be for this same job, so I do take advantage of the overtime pay. I really feel for the people only working two part time jobs who will likely never see time-and-a-half because of the two separate employers.

I was a day guy as a lineman, we were allowed to do our maintenance work 7a-7p, Mon-Sat. 72 hours a week made a nice paycheck. Only way we'd get out at night was for an emergency call out like a broken pole.

At my desk job, essentially on-call engineers, we're staffed 24/7 and I receive a 10% diff for my shift, 1-9, while getting to work M-F. We rotate a skeleton crew on weekends and separately for overnights. Holidays are staffed similarly to weekends with 2-3 people on.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Personally I see a huge difference between life for 30 year old me and for my 30ish kids. I got a job with one of those companies people stayed at forever when I was 20, was married at 23, bought a house at 25 and had 2 kids by the time I was 32. For me the 80's were the best possible times, although I know it's wasn't that way for everyone.

My eldest, the daredevil with the outgoing personality has the privilege of her own apartment and union work that pays well, although she's responsible for finding the work herself and it's all project based. Long hours mean not a lot of time for relationships and she doesn't want kids and hasn't met anyone where marriage has even been considered. She's existing but exhausted.

My youngest, the anxious introvert, worked at a start up company for a couple years after college that folded and, unfortunately, he didn't have an opportunity to develop much beyond the role he had and didn't really want in the first place. Now he's is back in school and currently looking for work, living with me in an area where nobody can afford to live, and trying to see a future with a spouse and kids and a home of his own. Even though these are the best possible times for many (especially in tech fields in our area) they aren't for him. The exact opposite of my life experience.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:22 PM

233 posts, read 243,540 times
Cheat Code:

Age 19 had a baby with a woman that i could stand few yrs later. So I did the best I could do and join the US Army active duty. Had my fun for 6 yrs and then transition to Reserves. Between 21-25 I bought two houses. I met my wife she a medical retired military. I get a State Job and move up the ranks as a SSG Reservist and Lt Correction officer (OIC) of facility.

Now 31
Own 4 houses (2 houses paid off)
Net income collectively $5.5k a month (my income)
Now at the crossroads where I must get a college degree to move up in my job.
All my friends that listen to mommy and daddy live broke and alone in a big city that eats your paycheck in one week.
They hate on me never invite me to anything anymore. They Post silly memes about how the world is unfair lol.

Now I'm building me a cross fit gym in my garage. Participate in oldest daughter martial art events. Even when do start college I qualify for Officer Candidate School and a slot for assistant superintendent of corrections.
I live in a small city. I just don't see what's so great about big city life if you living 5 people to a 2 bedroom apartment. I also made Cs and Ds high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics