Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 11:40 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Lots of truth to this...

I have pay to check to pay check friends that simply refuse to leave San Francisco... living with multiple room mates, lack of privacy but are all in to have the SF address.

Their decision.

But... the rub comes when the complaints roll in about how unfair the system is and how there is no chance unless born into money or you are one in a million athlete.

Posted several times about our 2 under 30 RNs that came from nothing... joined the military and used their earned benefits build a career... at age 30 their futures look very bright.

Edit... by nothing I mean one was in foster care with no parents/family the other came from a very large rural family... limited opportunities and she saw the military as her way out and up... lived in Germany, Virginia San Diego...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-19-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 03:23 PM

10,062 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Lots of truth to this...

I have pay to check to pay check friends that simply refuse to leave San Francisco... living with multiple room mates, lack of privacy but are all in to have the SF address.

Their decision.

But... the rub comes when the complaints roll in about how unfair the system is and how there is no chance unless born into money or you are one in a million athlete.

Posted several times about our 2 under 30 RNs that came from nothing... joined the military and used their earned benefits build a career... at age 30 their futures look very bright.

Edit... by nothing I mean one was in foster care with no parents/family the other came from a very large rural family... limited opportunities and she saw the military as her way out and up... lived in Germany, Virginia San Diego...
Living in a place is a lot like being in a relationship. Sometimes people are so smitten, they refuse to see that the relationship is toxic.

I'm from Texas where CoL is cheaper... but the cool, hip parts aren't. In particular Austin had that phenomenon where people would put up with all kinds of crap to stay in a certain zip code. They could have easily moved somewhere cheaper like Waco or San Antonio, or even just a suburb like Buda or Georgetown... but adamantly would not.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:10 PM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Living in a place is a lot like being in a relationship. Sometimes people are so smitten, they refuse to see that the relationship is toxic.

I'm from Texas where CoL is cheaper... but the cool, hip parts aren't. In particular Austin had that phenomenon where people would put up with all kinds of crap to stay in a certain zip code. They could have easily moved somewhere cheaper like Waco or San Antonio, or even just a suburb like Buda or Georgetown... but adamantly would not.
This direction the thread has gone, is ironically a prime example of the differences between then and now. Back in the day, you didn't have to move away from your home, friends and family to make it. In fact in many ways you were better off in your own community, with strong networks, family businesses being handed down, etc. This is one reason communities as they were are getting rarer and rarer. Ocean City, NJ, where I lived for 18 years, used to be a town where kids went to college, went out in the world, but came back to settle down and raise a family. There are families there that go back 125 years. Now though the year round population has been in steady decline, as young people can no longer afford to buy homes there and there are fewer and fewer family businesses, most replaced with low wage employers.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 AM

10,062 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This direction the thread has gone, is ironically a prime example of the differences between then and now. Back in the day, you didn't have to move away from your home, friends and family to make it. In fact in many ways you were better off in your own community, with strong networks, family businesses being handed down, etc. This is one reason communities as they were are getting rarer and rarer. Ocean City, NJ, where I lived for 18 years, used to be a town where kids went to college, went out in the world, but came back to settle down and raise a family. There are families there that go back 125 years. Now though the year round population has been in steady decline, as young people can no longer afford to buy homes there and there are fewer and fewer family businesses, most replaced with low wage employers.
Yes, I had to do that and it was upsetting to my family. My other choice, though, was continuing in temp and pt hell work. I had to go where decent jobs would hire me.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Kind of weird, I wanted to move away from home and I am the 'Now'. My friends that wanted to stay home are all doing fine, but I wanted a very specific career and there was limited work and the pay wasn't near what you could make anywhere else. I've had a few opportunities to move back home, but the salary just hasn't been there and we like where we are at now.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:31 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
Cheat Code:

Age 19 had a baby with a woman that i could stand few yrs later. So I did the best I could do and join the US Army active duty. Had my fun for 6 yrs and then transition to Reserves. Between 21-25 I bought two houses. I met my wife she a medical retired military. I get a State Job and move up the ranks as a SSG Reservist and Lt Correction officer (OIC) of facility.

Now 31
Own 4 houses (2 houses paid off)
Net income collectively $5.5k a month (my income)
Now at the crossroads where I must get a college degree to move up in my job.
All my friends that listen to mommy and daddy live broke and alone in a big city that eats your paycheck in one week.
They hate on me never invite me to anything anymore. They Post silly memes about how the world is unfair lol.

Now I'm building me a cross fit gym in my garage. Participate in oldest daughter martial art events. Even when do start college I qualify for Officer Candidate School and a slot for assistant superintendent of corrections.
I live in a small city. I just don't see what's so great about big city life if you living 5 people to a 2 bedroom apartment. I also made Cs and Ds high school.
I like this. You are on a good path and know what you need to do. It's too bad your friends don't accept or look to you for inspiration.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:55 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Yes, I had to do that and it was upsetting to my family. My other choice, though, was continuing in temp and pt hell work. I had to go where decent jobs would hire me.
Yes and many did... the new suburbs were heavily weighted with returning GI and young families... every house had kids... the new Sears Mall with garden center to serve all those young families in new homes...

Plus new schools, roads, etc...

Sure there were a few older Homeowners but most rare...

My parents move 20 minutes away on what was farmland... Grandparents thought they had moved to the end of the Earth...

Dad said he traded a commute for a new home in a new area for really not much different than an old home in the city neighborhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics