Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 09:35 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Still might end up with same results. We still have DRs that still paying on school loans 10+ years later. School cost is beyond its needs, and honestly really needs a good audit and public budget to see why it cost so much from first day till last day of the school year.
Yes indeed. Law School is even worse; the cost to the University of a Law School is modest in comparison to a medical school, yet law school tuition is sky high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 10:55 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Yes indeed. Law School is even worse; the cost to the University of a Law School is modest in comparison to a medical school, yet law school tuition is sky high.
Most docs will not have a big problem paying off their student loans. A $300K loan at 5% over 10 years is about $3K/mo. And they'll be making on the order of $15-30K/mo.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:06 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
kids ,especially out of wedlock are a real financial killer. it is bad enough divorce takes it's toll on finances but this constant breeding out of wedlock is asking for trouble .
of course then the excuse then becomes they have no one to watch the kids ,can't afford day care , are living off a low wage , the list goes on and on but it was a poor decision that did it .
As I've been saying for a while now, 40% of America's kids are born out of wedlock....no wonder the middle class has been shrinking. I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:11 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Most docs will not have a big problem paying off their student loans. A $300K loan at 5% over 10 years is about $3K/mo. And they'll be making on the order of $15-30K/mo.
That depends what kind of doctor. A GP is not going to make money like that, which is a major reason we have a shortage of them. My chiropractor once told me his were over $300,000, he isn't making that kind of money, either. Also don't forget malpractice insurance is a huge amount, too.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
People in past decades had many more kids than we do today but did not struggle nearly as much. I work with elderly people who had 10, 11, 12 siblings regularly. Today it’s much more rare to have that many.
The people of yesteryear had more realistic expectations in terms of housing. They didn't have extra bedrooms, or even a bedroom for each kid.

They also didn't go out to eat as a regular thing. Did not spend money on lots of things people spend money on now. Yes, I'll give you that college wasn't a necessity and was cheaper and so was health care.

A lady I rented a room from (now in her mid 80s), raised 4 kids with her husband in a 1200 square foot 4 bedroom house (no basement) and that kind of living situation was not all that unusual for women of her generation.

This idea that people are super efficient with their spending....Yeah, those people are out there...but from what I see, not that many.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:14 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
As I've been saying for a while now, 40% of America's kids are born out of wedlock....no wonder the middle class has been shrinking. I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice.
I don't think the majority of those out of wedlock kids are being born into middle class families. In my family we don't have any kids born out of wedlock ever that I am aware of, but marriage didn't stop several of them from struggling. As a whole, we have many less children than in past decades. My mom was able to stay home because my dad's salary as an appliance salesman in a department store was enough to enable us to buy a home and for my mom to stay home. THAT was the middle class. It is not the proliferation of out of wedlock kids that changed that, it is higher home prices, higher COL and incomes that don't pay living wages and don't purchase as much as they used to. My dad's job back then (60's) that allowed us to buy a home and allowed my mom to be a SAHM wouldn't pay enough for a one bedroom apartment today.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-26-2018 at 11:44 AM..

Old 09-26-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well we can't say . it may be those who can afford more kids that are having less and those who can't still banging them out
The out of wedlock birth rate is still about 40%, down about a percentage point from its peak, so not much change.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes, life has been a struggle for many people throughout history but do this for me..name another time in the history of the US when a full-time minimum wage wasn't enough money to a one-bedroom apartment anywhere in the U.S

I was poor when I was a kid, we lived in a one bedroom house, my brother and I slept in the dining room but we had a place to sleep. Now I'm seeing several families drive up to my grandson's school in motorhomes or RV's to drop their kids off, it's clear that most of those kids are living in those vehicles. I never knew any homeless kids in the 50's or 60's...not one.
You can thank excessive building codes and land use regulations promoted by NIMBYs for that.

You can't remedy a housing supply problem by jacking up the minimum wage.

Blue America has a problem: Even after adjusting for income, left-leaning metros tend to have worse income inequality and less affordable housing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rdable/382045/

Old 09-26-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Have you been to Utah lately?
Interestingly, UT has a stronger middle class and less income inequality than most other states.

But heaven forbid we might admit it has something to do with the values of the people who live there. And we might have to admit that religious values have something to do with it as well.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:27 AM

There "could be". Articles like that have been around FOREVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics