Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 06:57 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Why do we need to compete with other countries on a global scale. If people can provide for themselves and their community, raise equality and freedom, people will be happier.

Why should we sell our souls to money just to empower corporations that don't work for the well being of the people?

Is having powerful corporations running the economy and people relying on increased wealth to make a living a good thing?
I am sure you can go to Africa for a little bit and find out how effective it is...

Old 01-15-2019, 07:02 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,111 times
Quote:
And you still haven’t tried to understand a single one of my posts.

I agree with anarchists on a lot, but that is not the scope of what I’m talking about.

Private property is a modern state invention, without state enforcement it could not exist. If people are limited to what they can consume and store, they would be forced to work together cooperatively as equals.

I don’t want to stop you from doing anything that is within your abilities, buying stocks and commodities are not things you do on your capacity, but models that are available to you with prescribed state force.

Without that you wouldn’t have it, just like plantation farmers wouldn’t have slaves without the slave trade.

Promoting cooperative economics is something that exists today and should continue to be promoted, not some impossibility you are not allowed to discuss.

But still, you won’t listen.
The concept of private property has existed for a very long time, and even exists in nature.

Also, do you do business with these major corporations that you are so against the rest of us investing in?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,436,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
The concept of private property has existed for a very long time, and even exists in nature.

Also, do you do business with these major corporations that you are so against the rest of us investing in?
1. There is a difference between private property and personal property

2. No, the prison rehabilitation center and agricultural works I help with have nothing to do with corporations.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I am sure you can go to Africa for a little bit and find out how effective it is...
Really, colonial Africa has been turned into a capitalist economy where resources are exploited by major multinational corporations.

The state of Africa today is necessary for you to have the standard of living you consider great right now.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
This is the craziest thread ... I’ve ever read .., the OP states numerous blatant falsehoods ( eg: private property is an invention of the modern state, humans lived co-operatively together in harmony without private property for “thousands of years”) has no understanding of basic (post stone Age) economics or 14000 years of human behaviour since the first little villages sprung up along the Euphrates.
And everyone wants to argue with him like he is presenting rationally arguable ideas.
All I will say is it’s pointless trying to tell someone like this that they are wrong because they are incapable of rational balance in determining facts.
No amount of facts in the world can defeat the voices in their head.
It’s also possible ( highly possible given the OP’s posting history ) that they are simply a troll
Are you ok?

There is a difference between personal property and private property;

Furthermore all my arguments are about the current economy, not one from 1400 years ago. Read Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
A capital gains tax at 90% would collapse the United States economy, which would then collapse the world economy, and basically result in the starvation, death, and disruption of hundreds of millions or billions of people. Ironically, the wealthy that are so despised by the OP would be the ones most capable of finding a way out of the country and into a safe haven where their wealth would be protected.
Why?

If CGT rise to 90% people will have to find another form of investments, and as the state will have less revenue and the private industry will have less power, cross country local institutions can build networks to replace control of infrastructure that is already there.

And even if the rich leave (they won’t) the labor and physical capital of the US will remain such as our electric system, broadband network, water system, etc.

All of these public capitals would be controlled cooperatively by the users instead instead of the state or corporations.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:45 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,919,501 times
Quote:
And you still haven’t tried to understand a single one of my posts.

I agree with anarchists on a lot, but that is not the scope of what I’m talking about.

Private property is a modern state invention, without state enforcement it could not exist. If people are limited to what they can consume and store, they would be forced to work together cooperatively as equals.

I don’t want to stop you from doing anything that is within your abilities, buying stocks and commodities are not things you do on your capacity, but models that are available to you with prescribed state force.

Without that you wouldn’t have it, just like plantation farmers wouldn’t have slaves without the slave trade.

Promoting cooperative economics is something that exists today and should continue to be promoted, not some impossibility you are not allowed to discuss.

But still, you won’t listen.
I hear and understand what you're saying. You have a naive view, and are wrong.

Private property would still exist 'without state enforcement'. In your perfect world, there would still be private ownership. I would keep what I earn because I earned it. I would not give it to you for free just because you feel I have more than I need.

You inherently want to restrict my freedom and force your views and beliefs onto others. Beliefs that would lead to more poverty, more restrictions for people.

How would you enforce your system? Let's say your world exists, and I decide to start a group of people in which owning, trading, renting capital is allowed. How would your society prevent that from happening?

Old 01-15-2019, 08:51 AM

1,067 posts, read 624,667 times
Quote:
1. There is a difference between private property and personal property

2. No, the prison rehabilitation center and agricultural works I help with have nothing to do with corporations.
So, you must make your own clothes, grow your own food, ride a horse and communicate to others by sending up smoke signals.

But wait a minute. How are you posting here? Did you use a device manufactured by a corporation and is your internet connection provided by a corporation.......gasp!

Old 01-15-2019, 08:57 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
All of these public capitals would be controlled cooperatively by the users instead instead of the state or corporations.
And how long its going to take to poison them with greed and bring them back to old ways??

You are trying to change the way the world works.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
And how long its going to take to poison them with greed and bring them back to old ways??

You are trying to change the way the world works.
Greed is a relative term. Technology would exist, but the ownership of that technology would not be forced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics