Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 PM

10,359 posts, read 8,595,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I don’t need help, this is pathetic and cowardly.

I made truthful statements about the assumptions of rent and you are incapable of answering.

I won’t RISE to your level.
Here I fixed it for you.
People are capable of answering and have quite often on this thread. You either forget what the question was or simply refuse to accept the answer

Old 01-29-2019, 10:07 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,711,392 times
Quote:
And yet you still can't explain why I'm wrong. Only discard it as lunacy.
It’s been explained multiple times. What you are claiming ISN’T reality. It may be how you would like things to be, but that isn’t how things are. Not here, not anywhere. Claiming that someone can’t own a house and charge rent, and that is a “logical fallacy” conveniently ignores the fact that it happens all the time. Every day. In all parts of the world. And the same is true about everything else you’ve written. You have a vision of the world and how you would like it to be, but then you claim that the underlying principles of your vision are the way the world IS, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary.

I’d really like to believe that you have simply been deliberately obtuse, but that’s no longer possible. It’s become quite apparent that you actually believe this nonsense, and that you are not capable of understanding why it’s nonsense.

I truly feel sorry for you.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:25 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,171,137 times
Quote:
Goods. Let’s say you produce 1,000 apples. If you can store them on land you operate or consume them, they’re yours.

But you can’t have a facility you don’t live or operate by store them for sale in a market like a grocery store.

All excess production is a public good.

Nobody will want to work hard enough to produce more than they can / are allowed to consume. How do you plan to overcome that?

Old 01-30-2019, 05:00 AM

286 posts, read 211,884 times
Quote:
Your ability to act dumb is amazing, ignoring everything I said.

A car is personal property, you own it. If you abandon it you don't own it. You live on land, you own it. If you don't, you don't.

Immediate presence has nothing to do with it.
I am not ignoring. I am trying to figure out your rules and they don't jive.

You say if I own a car but don't use it right now - it is still mine as long as I intent to use it later.
But if I own a house that I don't use right now but intent to use later - it is not mine.
Where is the logic? Why you treat house different from a car?

You say I cannot rent a house (which I intent to use later) since it would belong the the renter the moment they move in because they are now using it. And to get it back would require force and that is a big no no.
Can I borrow a car to a friend to use it for a month? Would that mean the car is his now? After all if he doesn't want to give it back - I would require to use a force and that is a big no no.
Why anyone can move into a house I built because I don't live there and start using it by your logic, but at the same time if I have a car that I am currently not using - it is still mine?

What if I don't use a car for a month and when I come to use it - someone is already deemed it abandoned and live there? By your logic, whoever is using - is the owner and/or if I don't use it - it is not mine. What am I missing here? What would constitute abandonment of a car? Not using it for a week? A month? A year?

Last edited by Banbuk77; 01-30-2019 at 05:09 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 05:59 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,450,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbuk77 View Post
I am not ignoring. I am trying to figure out your rules and they don't jive.

You say if I own a car but don't use it right now - it is still mine as long as I intent to use it later.
But if I own a house that I don't use right now but intent to use later - it is not mine.
Where is the logic? Why you treat house different from a car?

You say I cannot rent a house (which I intent to use later) since it would belong the the renter the moment they move in because they are now using it. And to get it back would require force and that is a big no no.
Can I borrow a car to a friend to use it for a month? Would that mean the car is his now? After all if he doesn't want to give it back - I would require to use a force and that is a big no no.
Why anyone can move into a house I built because I don't live there and start using it by your logic, but at the same time if I have a car that I am currently not using - it is still mine?

What if I don't use a car for a month and when I come to use it - someone is already deemed it abandoned and live there? By your logic, whoever is using - is the owner and/or if I don't use it - it is not mine. What am I missing here? What would constitute abandonment of a car? Not using it for a week? A month? A year?
1. You can still have documentation that the car is yours. But the question is usage (which exceeds presence) and storage. If you park your car across the street it’s still your car, or in a parking lot, it is still under your control. Just because you leave it for a time doesn’t change that.

A house can’t be stored away and it cannot be personally controlled from far away. You can only control the house you live in. Again, just because you are not currently in that house doesn’t mean you’ve stopped living there, or that it’s vacant.

The question of intention is not really what I’m getting at. You can have a certificate of ownership for a house, car, etc. but these possessions are things you yourself manage and maintain.

A house that you don’t live in is not any of those things, regardless of intentions

2. Again you can still have documentation of your ownership, and if you let someone borrow something from you, it’s an agreement between you an another person.

If they claim it as there own you can challenge in a council, but again borrowing requires a level of trust between you and that person. Same as now.

3. If you have control and authority over the car it’s yours. If you park it across the street from your house it is still in your neighborhood, you can still see it, it is within your area of control. If you leave a car in a random parking lot for a month, it doesn’t mean people will up and take it. For example if you leave a car at an airport parking lot, only to come back a month later, that doesn’t mean your personal property stops being yours. Similarly if you’re gone for a month or even more people won’t/can’t break into your house and take all your stuff. It is still your property.

But say you leave a car in the middle of a highway. Sure you can get it back, but it’s a different case.

Now say you have a garage of cars in a place away from your house or maintenance, those aren’t yours.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:06 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,450,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Call it whatever you want. It will be the natural reaction to your unworkable system.

You don’t get out much do you? What I’ve described is the normal state of affairs in large parts of the world. And the security guards aren’t taking over the property.

Again, what I’ve described is the normal state of affairs in large parts of the world. Wealthy people are absolutely able to maintain ownership and control of their property. It is simply naivety of the highest order to believe otherwise.
1. It’s not like that no because of the law. I’m saying without state protection that is the system that would arise

2. They need to for compensation and because the law tells them to. Take away those factors and the social organization of society changes.

3. In the United States to some degree yes (though there are exceptions). Same with Western Europe.

In Madagascar or Bolivia, to a far lesser degree. My point is that it is not a universal practice even if it’s nearly universal in law.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:15 AM

286 posts, read 211,884 times
Quote:

If you park your car across the street it’s still your car, or in a parking lot, it is still under your control. Just because you leave it for a time doesn’t change that.

A house can’t be stored away and it cannot be personally controlled from far away. You can only control the house you live in. .

Now say you have a garage of cars in a place away from your house or maintenance, those aren’t yours.
A car away from me - I still control it.
A house away from me - I have no control over it.

What is the difference? What is so magic about a house that I don't have control over it but I have control over car?
Because someone else is using the house? So again, if I let my friend to use the car - would it mean he controls it and maintains it - it is his car now?
No? Then why would I lose ownership of a house when I let someone to live for some time?

I left a car on my street - it is still my car.
I keep my car in a garage away from my house - it is not my car.

Do you see all the absurdity of your logic?

Old 01-30-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
1. You can still have documentation that the car is yours. But the question is usage (which exceeds presence) and storage. If you park your car across the street it’s still your car, or in a parking lot, it is still under your control. Just because you leave it for a time doesn’t change that.

A house can’t be stored away and it cannot be personally controlled from far away. You can only control the house you live in. Again, just because you are not currently in that house doesn’t mean you’ve stopped living there, or that it’s vacant.

The question of intention is not really what I’m getting at. You can have a certificate of ownership for a house, car, etc. but these possessions are things you yourself manage and maintain.

A house that you don’t live in is not any of those things, regardless of intentions

2. Again you can still have documentation of your ownership, and if you let someone borrow something from you, it’s an agreement between you an another person.

If they claim it as there own you can challenge in a council, but again borrowing requires a level of trust between you and that person. Same as now.

3. If you have control and authority over the car it’s yours. If you park it across the street from your house it is still in your neighborhood, you can still see it, it is within your area of control. If you leave a car in a random parking lot for a month, it doesn’t mean people will up and take it. For example if you leave a car at an airport parking lot, only to come back a month later, that doesn’t mean your personal property stops being yours. Similarly if you’re gone for a month or even more people won’t/can’t break into your house and take all your stuff. It is still your property.

But say you leave a car in the middle of a highway. Sure you can get it back, but it’s a different case.

So if someone has a garage of cars they aren't his? lol
How do other people take possession without the keys to start them, hotwire? Computer code breakers? Steering column lock anyone???
How would this exist since you would also claim no one can own that garage away from their house in the first place? Then how do people break into the garage to get to the cars?

The more you talk, the more holes in your stories you create.
You are like someone who is trying to carry water in a net.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,998,906 times
Has anyone actually been convinced by the OP that Communism is still a useful ideology?

I may suck at counting but doesn't seem so (yet).

Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 AM

I doubt it. I can't believe he is arguing this long.
In for post 1000!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics