Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 12:14 PM

15,506 posts, read 7,546,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
If labor controls how the product of their labor is marketed, sold, and how that labor is invested, the dynamics will change for profit to benefit the laborer by how much they are willing to produce and how much overhead costs they need to cover.

Can You Understand That?
The vast majority of labor wants to get paid for the work they do. They do not want to think about costs, marketing, etc. That's what managers are for.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:36 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,388,091 times
Quote:
Of course business produces more inventory of what sells well, like Apple does with IPhones. But it is a mistake to believe pricing fluctuates by demand. So items are priced at a loss to attract costumers, but that is a marketing tactic, with little to do with overall inventory.

Moreso they need a general profit margin to guarantee their future plans which is why the products they sell cost is related more to how much it costs to make and market it rather than supply/demand. If anything if a product is not selling, it will be pulled off the shelves, and furthermore price fluctuation can't exist between different products of the same value as to not attract more costumers to the cheaper version of a popular product.
I’ve said from the beginning that it is the company profit margins and product supply/demand that are key to pricing, while you kept arguing that pricing is based on revenue and labor cost. At least you are finally seeing that profit margin is important.

Products of the same value are sold under a different name/label/location and the consumer still often chooses the more expensive version for various reasons. Not all customers are attracted to the cheaper version of popular products.

It is a mistake to not believe pricing fluctuates with demand. The worlds‘ prices fluctuate all the time. E.g. pricing may be seasonal and fluctuate greatly with demand - e.g. after Christmas sales of decorations...

Amazon, with 1/3 of the e-commerce market, uses dynamic “surge” pricing to change item pricing every hour, sometimes doubling item pricing within a day based on demonstrated supply-demand.

It feels like you’ve never shopped. Maybe you just work on a farm raising your own food, but the rest of us operate in the market economy where the price of goods and services are constantly adjusted by supply and demand.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:42 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,062,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You are right about all but the motivation, I want to remove mega rich ability to manipulate public policy and skirt anti trust

If I can’t make it I will apply for asylum and if that fails then I perish, that’s how life works.

"Blah blah blah blahbity blah....rationalization for my faillures in life...blah blah blah blah...why don't people recognize my genius....blah blah blah...it's everybody else's fault....blah blah blah...the problem couldn't possibly lie with me."

Old 02-21-2019, 12:46 PM

13,665 posts, read 9,742,332 times
Quote:
Private property is an artificial construct of the industrial period, and has nothing to do with natural rights. Natural rights and laws does not permit the accumulation of wealth and power from producing no labor, and taking the fruits of other people's labor, that is inherently what the stock market is about.

Real freedom requires equality, and that is something many of the great thinkers from Aristotle to Adam Smith understood. You are blinded by the propaganda of the wealthy who use their power to gain legitimacy when they are the thieves, and they are the ones drowning society in consumption with no liberation.
If that's your core thesis, then we have insoluble disagreement.

The very foundation of Western personal consciousness is that our labor, our efforts and creativity and education and vigor of body or mind, ultimately go to personal advancement. We rise, in terms of prestige, power, influence, significance, wherewithal... and large part of that rising is material wealth, be it literal gold or the trappings and widgets that money can buy. Property in the broader sense is a claim on other people's labor. It means collection of resources that can be wielded to cajole or compel others to work for our own benefit.

The ultimate aim of knowledge is less about knowing nature or - if one's so inclined - knowing the putative spirit behind nature - than it is about gaining a practical advantage. This practical advantage is generally bound by good graces, decorum, self-restraint. It's easy to overstep, with nasty recompense. But ultimately it means: I learn something that you don't, so I gain an advantage over you, such that you end up working for me, for my ends, rather than for yours. That is my goal. And your goal is to learn enough, so that you could rupture the bonds of your current employment, coming to work for yourself, or for none at all, enjoying life on the basis of your existing resources, already amassed through prior labor.

This is the core principle! A system that goes against this principle won't long endure. It will lead to abuses, for otherwise it could not be sustained. Foist such system upon the average Westerner, and he/she will go to any length, including those unprintable in a family-friendly web site, to fight you.

To summarize, private property writ large is the most fundamental thing that there is. Everything else is embellishment and enabler. Attempt to reverse that relationship, and you unleash the most unregenerately fanatical opposition.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:47 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,388,091 times
Quote:
If labor controls how the product of their labor is marketed, sold, and how that labor is invested, the dynamics will change for profit to benefit the laborer by how much they are willing to produce and how much overhead costs they need to cover.

Can You Understand That?
Why do you think specialized labor (e.g. auto mechanics or beet farmers) would be skilled enough to labor, market, manage, hire, forecast, procure, finance, invest, sell, ship, track their products in this sophisticated, high-tech, highly-specialized, world economy we are now living in?

Old 02-21-2019, 01:07 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,442,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
"Blah blah blah blahbity blah....rationalization for my faillures in life...blah blah blah blah...why don't people recognize my genius....blah blah blah...it's everybody else's fault....blah blah blah...the problem couldn't possibly lie with me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSlm2hd3cy0&app=desktop

Old 02-21-2019, 01:52 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,448,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
At least he believes in something more than just private wealth.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 626,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You are right about all but the motivation, I want to remove mega rich ability to manipulate public policy and skirt anti trust

If I can’t make it I will apply for asylum and if that fails then I perish, that’s how life works.
If you go to a different country, opportunities are usually more limited and you will have more competition for that McJob.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 PM

3,330 posts, read 1,826,428 times
Quote:
I'm sorry friend, but this is incorrect.
Real freedom requires equality, and that is something many of the great thinkers from Aristotle to Adam Smith understood. You are blinded by the propaganda of the wealthy who use their power to gain legitimacy when they are the thieves, and they are the ones drowning society in consumption with no liberation.
(Individual) Freedom and Equality (of Outcomes) are in natural opposition.

The bolded statement is therefore patently false.

So sorry.. I'd comment more but I cannot decipher much of the OP's posts.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:10 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,706,526 times
Quote:
If labor controls how the product of their labor is marketed, sold, and how that labor is invested,
Labor doesn't control any of that.

Quote:
the dynamics will change for profit to benefit the laborer by how much they are willing to produce and how much overhead costs they need to cover.

Can You Understand That?
Given that the premise is false, there is nothing to understand.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 02-21-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics