Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:15 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Anyone who is seldom in one physical location, like full-time RVers. Or people who travel 80% of the time.
Yeah I’ve been there. There are other solutions. What on earth did we do before the digital age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 07:48 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'm not sure I know what a virtual mailbox is...
Read about it here.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/virtual-mailbox/

Several outfits in the business already. It would be my guess the US Postal Service may have no interest in such a service. It's overheard would be non-competitive.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
By a large margin people will be paying to send advertising will stop if the postal service allows the minority to pay them to shred the paying customers product

Old 05-03-2019, 09:17 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah I’ve been there. There are other solutions. What on earth did we do before the digital age?

Sure, use a relative's address and basically use them to read and forward your mail. Some prefer to be self-sufficient.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Many of us have all our bills sent electronically and are paid via our banking apps or bank e-bills/e-pay. I get very little mail that is important; it is mostly ads, credit card offers, insurance offerings. Stuff I never bother to open and it goes straight to the recycle bin.

With a virtual mail box, you get an email or smart phone alert when new mail arrives. You can use your phone app or go online to view an outside image of your mail and packages. Then you decide if you want the mail forwarded to you (delivered), scanned or discarded.

This is the future as the younger generations are more computer savvy. By offering Virtual Mail as an OPTION for those who wish to pay for it, it will generate income to USPS. But those of you who like getting mail to your home, you will still get it.
Let me see if I understand...I pay the USPS to delay my mail so they can send me five or ten texts a day until I take the trouble to go online and screen everything and then I tell them how to sort everything into a keep or throw away pile and then wait to see if they got it right and deliver some of it a day or two later and toss the rest, all based on what the outside of the envelope looks like instead of simply taking it all out of the mailbox and taking a minute to screen it myself?

And if the post office gets a bunch of people to do this their income will drop off dramatically from their loss of bulk mail volume.

Oh yeah, why wouldn't everybody want to do this? Virtual insanity.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:54 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Virtual Mailbox Service via USPS (or commonly referred to as P.O. Box address portability) was examined years ago. A major takeaway was the USPS can not discard people's mail. If you didn't want it you had to throw it away or use some other method allowed by postal regulation for the mail piece to be abandoned. There was also concerns over foreign scams and abuse. But I belive in the end, the interest just wasn't enough for the investment the USPS had to make. From that research came Informed Delivery. Even today, some of the private virtual mail services formally used by full time RVers have pulled out of the business and some PMBs that offered the service have discontinued offering it. Apparently, the cost to provide the service was a bit too expensive for what people in reality were willing to pay. Many current services now simply offset the cost by data mining the mail piece.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:19 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It eliminates what is by far the most costly element in mail delivery, the last mile. Which isn't necessarily a reason anyone would want it, but it makes the USPS push understandable.

(I saw a poster for this the other day at my PO... wasn't familiar with the term "virtual mailbox" for it.)

Really???? USPS does NOT offer this service, so I am curious what this poster read.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
They don't offer this service because it would kill their business model. USPS makes a lot of its money from bulk mail. This is the junk that most people wouldn't read or have delivered, if they had a choice in the matter. If advertisers could measure how little their bulk mail was read, they wouldn't pay to produce and send it in the first place! Or they would send far less of it. Both scenarios take money away from the USPS.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:13 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Let me see if I understand...I pay the USPS to delay my mail so they can send me five or ten texts a day until I take the trouble to go online and screen everything and then I tell them how to sort everything into a keep or throw away pile and then wait to see if they got it right and deliver some of it a day or two later and toss the rest, all based on what the outside of the envelope looks like instead of simply taking it all out of the mailbox and taking a minute to screen it myself?

This is not a service for those who can simply take it all out of the mailbox and take a minute to screen it yourself. What if you live in a motorhome and are never in one state for more than a few months, or you're an OTR trucker or airline pilot, or you travel 80% of the time for business, or you're on a 90 day work assignment out of the country, or any other situation where you cannot easily physically access your mailbox? Not every service is relevant or desirable for every user. That doesn't mean the service doesn't have it's place. There are 3rd parties already providing this service and they are thriving.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:17 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
The USPS is already having a problem with "informed delivery". Their customers time sensitive products now sit for days untouched in residential mailboxes waiting for the recipient to see something worthy of his time to go empty a mailbox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics