Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:02 AM

88 posts, read 65,212 times

Advertisements

Now, the obvious answer would be, yes just stop working and spend all your savings if you have any but the question is about for the majority of people.

I heard this line of thinking from my friend and I don't know what you think about it. He said to me that it's probably hard for the average person to ever end up as a millionaire/billionaire/athlete/renonwed scientist seeing as there are so few of them that there are the exception rather than the rule. One has to put in effort unless born into it.

If that's the case, then could we not say that about being homeless on the streets? A very tiny percentage of the U.S. population or even population here where I live in Ireland is homeless. They may be visible but its a tiny amount.

Given that this is the case, could one then say it's hard to be homeless and the average person need not worry? That seems like faulty logic somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 09:29 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
To me it would be unpleasant, but "hard" is a relative term. The homeless never have to make decisions, never have to take responsibility, never have to get up when they are hungover and go to work. Some one else earns their food and cooks it for them, Someone else earns money and hands it to them. They don't have to make any effort for anything.

The trade off is the danger of the streets with no secure shelter and exposure to weather.

I think for the average person, the homeless option is very unattractive. For some people, it is the easy way to live.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:35 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
A large percentage of the homeless in the USA have substance abuse problems. For them, their drugs and alcohol are more important than anything else in their lives, so they use all of their money on drugs and alcohol with nothing left over for food and shelter. Their choice isn't about hard or easy. Their choice is about the most efficient way to secure their drugs or alcohol.

A small percentage are mentally ill and incapable of holding a job. Their choice isn't about hard or easy. They just don't have any other option and they can't be hospitalized against their will, where the choice would be taken away from them..

Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 AM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I think for the average person, the homeless option is very unattractive. For some people, it is the easy way to live.
Drug addiction and mental illness isn’t an ‘easy way to live’.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:55 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The poster never stated that it was. Don’t put words in people’s mouths.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:57 AM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The poster never stated that it was. Don’t put words in people’s mouths.
The thread title is, ‘is it easy to be homeless or not?’ The poster I quoted said it was the easy way to live for some people.

How is answering the question directly (with my opinion) putting words in anyone’s mouth?

Old 07-18-2019, 10:24 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
The thread title is, ‘is it easy to be homeless or not?’ The poster I quoted said it was the easy way to live for some people.

How is answering the question directly (with my opinion) putting words in anyone’s mouth?
Okay, my apologies. I thought you were implying that the OP had stated that.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
I think the OP meant: "Is it hard or easy to become homeless?"

Old 07-18-2019, 10:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
You are not kidding. There but for the grace of God go I.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:38 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
That anyone, even the econ Calvinists, could think that being homeless has an upside is just mind-boggling. Gosh, to be completely free of having to make decisions! (Which is wrong on the face of it, but ne'mind.)

And noting that a good percentage of homelessness traces to mental illness or drug addiction - the half that isn't due to that economic disaster that only happens to stupid, short-sighted people, you know - is not exactly off-topic.

Close this thread before the stupidity level rises any higher, Maw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics