Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 04:23 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times

Advertisements

Economic class should be fairly easy to determine -- at least in theory -- as it all comes to numbers, perhaps adjusted somewhat for the local cost of living.

On the other hand, social class has several aspects: income, yes, but also educational capital, cultural capital, social capital, and so on. A rich junkyard owner who has a scorpion tattooed on his face and who speaks in four-letter grunts will likely not make it into the Knickerbocker Club of NYC.

There may well be geographic differences even within the USA. I have heard it said many times that Boston judges you on how much you know (cultural and educational capital), New York judges on how much money you have (economic capital), and Philadelphia according to whom you know (social capital).

In England, money has less to do with social class. An impoverished earl is most definitely upper class, whereas a rich entrepreneur is most definitely not. Supposedly, one Englishman can tell the social class of another based solely on spoken accent, with posh being the speech of Oxford, Cambridge, and the old BBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 01:58 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Being rich to me means living like I want to. All the rest of this is using someone else's definition to label ones self. Happiness and contentment come from within.

Lots of $100k jobs for new grads if you can learn to harness the forces of nature. Means college wont be laughs and giggles nor with overseas trips to see what?

Old 08-07-2019, 08:53 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah I agree. I’ve had years I had no cash flow whatsoever. Zero income. Many years / most years I report a loss for federal income tax purposes. Then every once in a while I pay a few hundred thousand in taxes in the same year lol. My net worth is generally increasing much more than any cash flow I’m seeing, because most of my money is invested.
You may not have active or passive income; but if you are investing as much as you appear to indicate, you should be receiving portfolio income via interest and dividend checks. Even if you immediately reinvest, it’s still considered income rather than ‘zero income’ as you indicate.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
In England, money has less to do with social class. An impoverished earl is most definitely upper class, whereas a rich entrepreneur is most definitely not. Supposedly, one Englishman can tell the social class of another based solely on spoken accent, with posh being the speech of Oxford, Cambridge, and the old BBC.

In my zip code, I can tell social class based on spoken accent, grammar, and vocabulary. There is a heavy southern New England working class dialect. That also gives me insight into their level of education since most with a real college degree not from the local state school will lose most of the dialect. Income is tough to tell because the trades pay so well. There are lots of electricians with yachts with a high school education and the thick local working class dialect.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:05 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In my zip code, I can tell social class based on spoken accent, grammar, and vocabulary. There is a heavy southern New England working class dialect. That also gives me insight into their level of education since most with a real college degree not from the local state school will lose most of the dialect. Income is tough to tell because the trades pay so well. There are lots of electricians with yachts with a high school education and the thick local working class dialect.
And there is NOTHING wrong with that. I love that trades pay so well.

Some just want money and a comfortable life. Social standing is irrelevant to them when they have enough "F U" money.

I'm sure it makes those making less, perhaps a a dual MA or PhD-wielding couple, feel that their work is devalued. But some jobs provide money, some jobs provide social esteem, and some provide both!

Old 08-08-2019, 12:08 PM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
In England, money has less to do with social class. An impoverished earl is most definitely upper class, whereas a rich entrepreneur is most definitely not.
Uh... I think I'll take a pass on that impoverished earl thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics