Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 08:14 AM

1,210 posts, read 889,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
You seem to want to single out blacks and Latinos.

But if you dig into it you'll see high rates of college graduates among Nigerian immigrants (well above the national average). If you look at Cubans/Cuban-Americans you'll also see relatively high educational attainment and income levels.

What the Nigerians and Cubans share in common is they usually brought high levels of human capital with them. There is no reason the same can't be achieved for African-Americans and other Latinos.
Blacks and Latinos single themselves out. Despite the trillions spent on them, the affirmative action, the bonus SAT points, the out reach programs and racial preferences and quotas, They are STILL at the bottom of virtually ever socioeconomic metric. Poverty is the result of poor decisions and a low functioning culture. Millions of people EASILY pull themselves out of poverty - it's not that hard. Not only that, they're told the reason for their failure is something other than their decisions: white privilege, discrimination, etc. There's no lack of fresh water or food or healthcare prohibiting them from staying and school and graduating, no more than there is/was for immigrants from Vietnam, China, Iran, Turkey, Nigeria, Pakistan, or India. The reason for their failures are poor decisions and culture. Until they undergo a cultural revolution, they are destined to remain at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 08:37 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Blacks and Latinos single themselves out. Despite the trillions spent on them, the affirmative action, the bonus SAT points, the out reach programs and racial preferences and quotas, They are STILL at the bottom of virtually ever socioeconomic metric. Poverty is the result of poor decisions and a low functioning culture. Millions of people EASILY pull themselves out of poverty - it's not that hard. Not only that, they're told the reason for their failure is something other than their decisions: white privilege, discrimination, etc. There's no lack of fresh water or food or healthcare prohibiting them from staying and school and graduating, no more than there is/was for immigrants from Vietnam, China, Iran, Turkey, Nigeria, Pakistan, or India. The reason for their failures are poor decisions and culture. Until they undergo a cultural revolution, they are destined to remain at the bottom.
These seem like opinions and you know what people say about opinions. By any chance do you have any facts to show that validate, back up all you've just said?

Old 08-06-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
do you have any facts to show that validate, back up all you've just said?
African Americans received a “bonus” of 230 SAT points, Hispanics received a bonus of 185 SAT points.

Harvard sends recruitment letters to African-American, Native American and Hispanic high schoolers with mid-range SAT scores, around 1100 on math and verbal combined out of a possible 1600, CNN reported. Asian-Americans only receive a recruitment letter if they score at least 250 points higher — 1350 for women, and 1380 for men.

27 Black and 35 Hispanic students received a Ph.D. in mathematics and statistics out of a total of 1864 recipients in 2014, amounting to 1.4 and 1.9 percent, respectively

HALF of all murders in the US are committed by 5% of the US population (black males 18-34)

"black students graduated at a rate of 69 percent; Hispanics graduated at 73 percent; whites graduated at a rate of 86 percent."

77% black births to single moms, 49% for Hispanic immigrants

A study in the Journal of Urban Health found that blacks were ten times more likely than whites to lie about cocaine. Hispanics were five times more likely.

Blacks are 3-1/2 times more likely than whites to go to the emergency room because they took an illegal drug.

The journal Addictive Behaviors found that blacks were more than 20 times more likely than whites to lie about cocaine, and twice as likely to lie about marijuana.

Next question?

Old 08-06-2019, 09:37 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
In the end, it doesn't matter since some of the Ivies have a near 100 percent graduation rate. Some majors are restricted at my school and have a stricter admissions requirement than others. It's likely that those with lower SAT's are going into humanities and business schools.

I'm not surprised by the math graduation statistics. Only 2 percent of our freshman class finished their bachelor's at my university. Graduation rates and GPA's depend heavily on what major you're studying. You have to achieve near a 4.0 in certain majors, such as education and business, for the investment to be considered worthwhile.

Everyone knows that there is a lot of violence associated with the drug trade in the inner cities. You're not revealing anything new.

Last edited by lchoro; 08-06-2019 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I'm not surprised by the math graduation statistics. Only 2 percent of our freshman class finished their bachelor's at my university. Graduation rates and GPA's depend heavily on what major you're studying. You have to achieve near a 4.0 in certain majors, such as education and business, for the investment to be considered worthwhile.
I was disappointed if I got a B in a class. That means I wasn't efficient. I spent too much time studying and could have been partying more. I could have passed with a C. Kind of like getting a tax refund. It means I paid too much tax and I could have borrowed even more from the government interest free over the past year. I love owing as much as possible on April 15th without incurring a penalty.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:35 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,640 times
Quote:
Poverty is the result of poor decisions and a low functioning culture. Millions of people EASILY pull themselves out of poverty - it's not that hard. The reason for their failures are poor decisions and culture.
I should have been more precise for you. Because the "next question" is Do you have facts to support all your opinions, including the three statements above? These opinions were included in what I posted when I first asked if you had facts to support all you've said. My point is the statistics do not explain why the statistics exist. More often than not in many published reports like these (not all but many) objectively researched causes of statistics are overlooked, undervalued, not mentioned, or dismissed. Whatever the underlying cause, the explanation for this statistical information is not the statements you made above. In my view that's based on research in addition to yours, those three statements above are opinions based on erroneous conclusions, or maybe vice versa. They are not facts or explanations.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Do you have facts to support all your opinions, including the three statements above?

the statistics do not explain why the statistics exist.
Why the statistics exist? I don't know for sure but according to researchers, behaviors, decisions, cognitive ability, genetics, and culture are the reasons.

Why do black and Hispanic kids and parents CHOOSE to drop out and commit crime? Why do they make these decisions? According to research in academia and national science organizations, culture and lower average IQ are the reasons. There are about 15,000 school districts in the US. In almost every one of them whites and Asians outperform blacks and Hispanics. According to this research higher crime is due to higher serum testosterone and low ability to delay gratification.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:27 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
Quote:
Why the statistics exist? I don't know for sure but according to researchers, behaviors, decisions, cognitive ability, genetics, and culture are the reasons.

Why do black and Hispanic kids and parents CHOOSE to drop out and commit crime? Why do they make these decisions? According to research in academia and national science organizations, culture and lower average IQ are the reasons. There are about 15,000 school districts in the US. In almost every one of them whites and Asians outperform blacks and Hispanics. According to this research higher crime is due to higher serum testosterone and low ability to delay gratification.
It doesn't tell you anything no one doesn't already know. Able-bodied young men 18-34 are more likely to commit violent crimes. Violent crimes mostly occur against someone in their family or someone they already know. Socio-economic disadvantage tends to predispose a person to commit crime.

Where there is a lot of crime, people tend to form into groups, such as gangs, for their own protection.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:39 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,629,353 times
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...ist-terrorism/

Old 08-06-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Socio-economic disadvantage tends to predispose a person to commit crime.
Socioeconomic disadvantage (sic) is a choice. (There is no such thing as "disadvantage". There may be advantage but nobody is being held back - it's just the opposite.)

If anyone stays in school, doesn't get pregnant before marriage, isn't a teen when pregnant, doesn't commit crime and stays off drugs, there's almost zero chance that person will be poor. On top of that, college or trade school or apprenticeship or the military is within reach for EVERYONE. Live at home, attend a junior college, transfer to a local state university and still live at home. Work part time for beer and gas money and earn a practical degree. Tens of thousands of people do this every year. Poor people do it every year. They get jobs and start building wealth immediately without the burden of heavy student loans.
Stupid people do otherwise. Stupid people drop out of school, join gangs, get hooked on drugs, and perpetuate both poverty and an otherwise a failed life.

If someone doesn't want to go to jail the should get arrested and they don't want to get arrested then they should commit crime.

I'll repeat what I wrote earlier, blacks and Amer-Indian Hispanics together make the choices that keep them at the bottom of virtually every socioeconomic metric despite the advantages, boosts, affirmative action, Congressional Caucuses, quotas, racial preferences, out reach programs, and racial preferences afforded to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics