Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 06:19 PM

37,718 posts, read 46,149,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
The average Joe spends his excesses when he's doing well, and curses that he has no savings (and nothing to save) when he's not.

The average Joe values "that city job" which he may or may not get, that will have him "set for life" with a pension and healthcare into retirement.

Public sector employment is about the ceiling of aspiration for the average Joe.
LOL. I do love my public sector job. I never spend excessively. I am extremely debt-averse. I have had a well-funded savings account since I was 26. I research investing strategies constantly, and sock away far more than the "average joe". While I will have a pension (that I am required to contribute to), we do NOT , and never have funded heathcare for our retirees.

My co-workers are pretty similar, and we all discuss financial matters of this nature, darn near every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 06:41 AM

4,161 posts, read 3,087,702 times
I would say that government employees with a pension have above average financial literacy.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:39 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,419,473 times
Work at HR Block for a tax season, and you will discover the answer to your question. You will find some Average Joes know a lot and some you wonder how they get through life being so clueless.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:57 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,728,360 times
I'm not sure people realize what the headlines mean. Ten years ago I was still working and contributing $2000/month to my retirement account. Co-workers were agonizing over the fact that their accounts had lost 50% of their value, while I was delighted, since it meant I was getting a 50% discount on stocks. If the stock market is flying high, it doesn't do you any good unless you have stocks to sell. If you are saving for retirement, high stock prices are a disaster.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:13 AM

11,094 posts, read 6,691,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
The average joes financial literacy is so poor that they can’t articulate what they’re even asking for in regards to financial literacy.

Oh wait.
Yep. That's me.

I'll take up the gauntlet and confess. Don't know if I'm "average Joe" but have no financial literacy. It never interested me and I was feckless all my life. And terrible at math.

Didn't save, didn't invest but did purchase my own home in SoCal at 22. And we owned our own printing co.

Financial/investment talk goes right over my head.

Bet no one else 'fesses up.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:15 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,338,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. I do love my public sector job. I never spend excessively. I am extremely debt-averse. I have had a well-funded savings account since I was 26. I research investing strategies constantly, and sock away far more than the "average joe". While I will have a pension (that I am required to contribute to), we do NOT , and never have funded heathcare for our retirees.

My co-workers are pretty similar, and we all discuss financial matters of this nature, darn near every day.
Well, you are smart enough to be on the investing boards - enough said. The % of people who use the investing forum isn't high at all.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:17 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,338,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm not sure people realize what the headlines mean. Ten years ago I was still working and contributing $2000/month to my retirement account. Co-workers were agonizing over the fact that their accounts had lost 50% of their value, while I was delighted, since it meant I was getting a 50% discount on stocks. If the stock market is flying high, it doesn't do you any good unless you have stocks to sell. If you are saving for retirement, high stock prices are a disaster.
I was with you until your last sentence. You are assuming if there's a 2008 style crash, that the feds are going to bail everyone out again and prices are going to come back. Dangerous assumption.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:04 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,136,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Have you met the average "Joe"?
Maybe he's the mythical "working people" that Elizabeth Warren keeps repeating.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:06 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,226,375 times
No. Joe is a wastrel who makes 5-10 times what I do and is miserable, beginning to regret wasting his life..

Old 11-03-2019, 06:14 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,262,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yep. That's me.

I'll take up the gauntlet and confess. Don't know if I'm "average Joe" but have no financial literacy. It never interested me and I was feckless all my life. And terrible at math.

Didn't save, didn't invest but did purchase my own home in SoCal at 22. And we owned our own printing co.

Financial/investment talk goes right over my head.

Bet no one else 'fesses up.
the post you quoted apparently went over your head. It wouldn't let me rep that poster again.

If you owned your own printing company, and didn't go belly up, then you have some financial literacy. You understood revenue had to be > expenses. You probably had some idea if you could afford to add an employee, and what their benefit to the operation needed to be. You didn't bounce checks at the bank, not did you have significant revolving credit that was outstanding after the "busy season".

I used to be a commercial banker. 90% of my clients had very good financial literacy. 10% did not, and they were the ones who struggled to keep their businesses afloat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics