Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2019, 09:00 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,159,036 times

Advertisements

Doesn't it seem as if all we do is tweak?

What Baby Yoda, OK Boomer and Hemp Farming Told Us About the 2019 Economy
By Jeanna Smialek

Productivity growth has been stuck throughout the decade, and failed to break out in a lasting way this year. One explanation, championed by Northwestern University economist Robert Gordon, is that prior-century inventions like washing machines transformed the way the world works. Now innovators are left making derivative improvements or less life-altering technologies. Society can’t reinvent running water or the refrigerator any more than Hollywood can outdo the Force.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other...omy/ar-BBYim8P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 02:03 PM

4,546 posts, read 6,826,752 times
I find it interesting how Netflix was the number one stock of the decade. Not a medical breakthrough, not a supercomputer, not artificial intelligence, not a life-changing energy source, not a revolutionary new form of transportation or even smartphones. No, the most rewarded idea was the ability to sit on your couch and click on a movie. That is what the market valued the most.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:01 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,159,036 times
Exactly. Very few "breakthroughs" in the way there were maybe a century ago.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:11 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,284,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
No, the most rewarded idea was the ability to sit on your couch and click on a movie. That is what the market valued the most.
To me, this IS a "disruptor" although there are others that follow the Netflix business model. I bought Comcast in the early 1980s. I once figured my cost basis at $2.25/share. (It split a lot.) It hit 40 or 50 before the dotcom bust and it's at $47.50 now. Fortunately I have only a few shares left. Remember when EVERYONE had to have cable? Remember how everybody complained as the cable companies got fat, dumb and happy "bundling" channels into overpriced packages so if you wanted HBO or Nickelodeon you had to get The Broccoli Channel and QVC? Remember how commercials crept back into "pay TV"?

And now we have options. In my case, it's Netflix only and I'm a happy camper despite the increase form $10/month to $13/month last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics