Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 11:56 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times

Advertisements

My guess is business is slow because it's been a mild winter. (Currently in the 60s) Folks don't need to use their HVAC as much, and will put off maintenance and repairs until it's necessary. If they need heat they'll layer up or use a little space heater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 02:56 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Well, I'm one who's spent money on my HVAC system for sure. Carrier had great 0% financing for 72 months so I upgraded from an old, small Trane unit to a Carrier variable speed 18 SEER unit. The game-changer for me, though, was that I was able to wrap a new high efficiency gas furnace and gas water heater (both of which were old) into the same 0% deal. So I have back-up heat if the boiler goes out and much better A/C to boot and no interest payments: win-win for me. Both systems have been wonderful so far!

Old 03-02-2020, 03:20 PM

654 posts, read 423,703 times
It's usually not financially worth it to get the nicest high efficiency units. Great for the HVAC companies as the margins are larger on the repairs and install. A 21 seer Trane compressor alone probably cost more than my AC and furnace. I've had houses on both ends and the changes in utilities bills were barely noticeable. You're not going to get more rent or higher sale price because your AC is a 21 seer unit.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:21 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
We upgraded our 30 year old system last year. Same as cash financing. In our southern climate, there was some issue with Freon, yada yada. Anyway we are adding a few hundred sq ft to the house, and glad the system can handle it.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:55 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I just had my annual maintenance done on my furnace. It's a good company, but they have the annoying practice of having their technicians push to sell you things you don't need. I just keep saying no, but this time the guy tried TWO different pitches, and I said, "I know you have to do this, but I don't want those things". (They are trying to push some sort of filter system that they claim keeps out all sorts of nasty things, with the emphasis on "viruses"--obviously using the current fear ploy, lol, and then their usual "duct cleaning special".)

He laughed and said, "Well, it's been a mild winter, people's furnaces aren't breaking, and business has been slow."

Old 03-03-2020, 02:21 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Commercial Hvac is where the solid work and money is. Even better if he can get into the union, University or hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Lol I am hoping it’s 110 all summer. After 4 months of him working part time, I am ready for him to make some overtime!

Old 03-03-2020, 03:18 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just had my annual maintenance done on my furnace. It's a good company, but they have the annoying practice of having their technicians push to sell you things you don't need. I just keep saying no, but this time the guy tried TWO different pitches, and I said, "I know you have to do this, but I don't want those things". (They are trying to push some sort of filter system that they claim keeps out all sorts of nasty things, with the emphasis on "viruses"--obviously using the current fear ploy, lol, and then their usual "duct cleaning special".)

He laughed and said, "Well, it's been a mild winter, people's furnaces aren't breaking, and business has been slow."
I can SO relate. We have a shiny new, one year old state of the art system, and we’ve paid $12. a month for the company’s maintenance plan. I’m thinking, why am I paying for annual maintenance for a new system? We had our first check up last month and the guy tried to sell us a pollen filter and something else. Oh hell no.
I guess if we get hit by lightening, which has happened, we will get a discount on the repair. Come on, lightening.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:52 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

If he was talking about germicidal lights, they work.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:09 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If he was talking about germicidal lights, they work.
I don't know. We didn't get that far. I'm not that big of a germaphobe to consider paying $1000 to install something I've never needed that's being sold to me based on good old fear marketing.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:29 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
I can't confirm or deny or speak towards the industry as a whole.

In my experience, I plan on getting heated floors in one room as opposed to calling in HVAC since that would be prohibitively more expensive and require a lot more space than I have to make it worth it.

Perhaps the rise of utilizing heated flooring is having an effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics