Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 09:18 AM

956 posts, read 512,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The $1.5T is not for public consumption.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fed-to-...ts-11584033537

And QE's had little inflationary effect since the new money sat as excess bank reserves for quite some time.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/EXCSRESNS
You are right it did not, but at the time back then I was worried it would.

And in fact the affect it had by driving mortgage rates to way too low of levels causing ridiculous levels of rises in real estate prices almost everywhere by allowing their to be to many home buyers who do not save enough money for as good down payment or save to pay fully in cash. I go my house just in the nick of time anyways in 2013 although had to pay more than had I got it in 2010 to 2012 but was able to do so.

But the outrageous rise in home prices is very bad for today's buyers and our future kids. Or my brother and his girlfriend when they get married soon and want to upgrade to a bigger house together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 09:58 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,015,005 times
Quote:
The $1.5T is not for public consumption.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fed-to-...ts-11584033537

And QE's had little inflationary effect since the new money sat as excess bank reserves for quite some time.

What it doing sitting there? What was even the purpose of the QE then?

Quote:
Very optimistic, but potentially a good sign:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51870725
Is bound to happen sooner or later.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:16 PM

18,873 posts, read 8,521,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
You are right it did not, but at the time back then I was worried it would.

And in fact the affect it had by driving mortgage rates to way too low of levels causing ridiculous levels of rises in real estate prices almost everywhere by allowing their to be to many home buyers who do not save enough money for as good down payment or save to pay fully in cash. I go my house just in the nick of time anyways in 2013 although had to pay more than had I got it in 2010 to 2012 but was able to do so.

But the outrageous rise in home prices is very bad for today's buyers and our future kids. Or my brother and his girlfriend when they get married soon and want to upgrade to a bigger house together.
Housing is huge and involves many economic segments. I support anything to make it cheaper to get more people and families nicely embedded into their local communities. Of course supply and demand, and in some areas prices are out of sight. One's lifestyle choice might say that it maybe time to move.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What it doing sitting there? What was even the purpose of the QE then?

Is bound to happen sooner or later.

Excess reserves persist because there have not been enough sensible borrowers, and of course the Fed now pays interest to the banks on those reserves.

QE was an interest rate lowering program.

We should all hope!

Old 03-15-2020, 10:47 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,015,005 times
Quote:
Excess reserves persist because there have not been enough sensible borrowers, and of course the Fed now pays interest to the banks on those reserves.

QE was an interest rate lowering program.

We should all hope!
After some digging between 2015 till now, it seems the reserves have actually been shrinking. It spiked around 2015, and steadily went down after.

Where did all those reserves go? Where they dumping it into stocks and bonds or loaning it out to people?

Old 03-15-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
After some digging between 2015 till now, it seems the reserves have actually been shrinking. It spiked around 2015, and steadily went down after.

Where did all those reserves go? Where they dumping it into stocks and bonds or loaning it out to people?
I think loans, but don't have that data.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:05 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,005,129 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
If they can pump stocks they can pump an economy. Instead of profit it's political gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
Fuel the helicopters.
Quote:
What will the banks be doing with all that money: bonuses for employees?
You are NOT going to get answer here where the money is going and who is profiting it was ask here at least 10+ times. It seems city-data the economic section of this forum has term that if any members say that to anyone that is 80 years in jail.

You will be better of checking quora or youtube.

How do you explain quantitative easing in layman's terms?

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-exp...-laymans-terms

quora on the other hand is talking about banks not the stock market where some of members here are getting that.

But in any event it means the economy is not good if the Fed has keep steeping in all the time.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:09 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,572,619 times
Quantitative easing is pretty simple. It means the Fed is expanding their balance sheet in one way shape or form. The Fed is now in the process of expanding their balance sheet into the $15-$20 trillion range by early 2021.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
You are NOT going to get answer here where the money is going and who is profiting it was ask here at least 10+ times. It seems city-data the economic section of this forum has term that if any members say that to anyone that is 80 years in jail.

You will be better of checking quora or youtube.

How do you explain quantitative easing in layman's terms?

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-exp...-laymans-terms

quora on the other hand is talking about banks not the stock market where some of members here are getting that.

But in any event it means the economy is not good if the Fed has keep steeping in all the time.
QE is where the Fed creates money from thin air and exchanges it dollar for dollar with member banks' debt paper. There was very little leakage of dollars out into the general circulation as solid borrowers were too scarce post 2008. Part of its failure, and why $4T new dollars didn't spark inflation.

The reason for QE is to force interest rates lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics