Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 10:26 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course, it is not possible that you don't know this already because you have a computer, so it seems that your insistence on the use of the term "flu" is just meant to raise controversy.
This whole episode is pointing out how ignorant and misguided people are about both flu and viral diseases. Flu tends to get dismissed because (in part) we've had decades of marketing for remedies for "cold and flu season." That the flu is not a cold has become blurred in popular perception. That many people get a season's flu and are back at work the next week tends to reinforce that ignorance. That every vaguely cold-like illness that can't be soldiered through is called the flu doesn't help. And since only a few very uncommon strains cause GI distress, 90% of "stomach flu" is due to other causes, like those bar snacks that sat out too long.

Flu was something of an issue in our family for reasons too complicated to explain (my ex once had a bad reaction to a flu shot), but I was careful to impress on all my kids that flu kills. Not many, in most years, but "colds" don't kill anyone. [yes yes some very fragile individuals]

So the contingent now boasting that this is "just a bad flu" are shouting their multiple levels of ignorance to the rooftops. Bring popcorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 10:35 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
This stuff is really getting unbelievable and most info unreliable. People are saying it's nothing but the flu and then tout the huge numbers of people who die everyday from the flu, and those numbers are huge, but lower than the daily numbers of infections/deaths from coronavirus.

If it isn't that big of a deal to you, then why are so many of you scrambling for every drug out there claiming to cure coronavirus?

It's because all that matters are economy/policy/winning.

Lastly, I'm going to say nobody really cares. And since nobody needs anything more than money, let's stop condemning others for how much or little of it they have.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:48 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
This whole episode is pointing out how ignorant and misguided people are about both flu and viral diseases. Flu tends to get dismissed because (in part) we've had decades of marketing for remedies for "cold and flu season." That the flu is not a cold has become blurred in popular perception. That many people get a season's flu and are back at work the next week tends to reinforce that ignorance. That every vaguely cold-like illness that can't be soldiered through is called the flu doesn't help. And since only a few very uncommon strains cause GI distress, 90% of "stomach flu" is due to other causes, like those bar snacks that sat out too long.

Flu was something of an issue in our family for reasons too complicated to explain (my ex once had a bad reaction to a flu shot), but I was careful to impress on all my kids that flu kills. Not many, in most years, but "colds" don't kill anyone. [yes yes some very fragile individuals]

So the contingent now boasting that this is "just a bad flu" are shouting their multiple levels of ignorance to the rooftops. Bring popcorn.
I guess you are right. People use "the flu" as a general term for any kind of sickness. It's like those people who claim they had a "fever" in just their arm or leg or something. That one always stumped me, lol.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:58 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
There are a lot of complexities most people don't understand with mortgages.

PMI needs to be paid regardless if payments are made or not.

Insurance and taxes need to be paid.

Hedges need to be made to protect against interest rate fluctuations

MBS are used as hedges vs other kinds of bonds

Those are the simple things, just stopping people's mortgages is a fine idea in theory as a reach around to home owners but the reality is much more complex. When you start tinkering in markets like that there are tons of unintended consequences, some of them drastic and potentially contagious to the entire economy. We have a lot of hedges and leverage in our economy which goose (protect) profits when times are good but when things are not working properly and the world is basically shut down these derivatives make things a whole lot worse as this stuff slowly unwinds until it breaks and it goes into free fall.

As for the flu comparison, people that make it are ignorant.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:18 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
How long can banks last if their cash flow plummets because 20 or 30% of their borrowers stop making payments?

I'm reminded of Jimmy Stewart, "As if I had the money back in a safe. The money's not here. Your money's in Joe's house...right next to yours. And in the Kennedy house, and Mrs. Macklin's house, and a hundred others."

I can't imagine it's good for a bank to just lose a third of its cash flow for months. It's not as if they have a Scrooge McDuck hoard they can operate with forever.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:23 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
The banks aren't the problem, it's corporate debt.

The banks can be bailed out easily enough or even nationalized. The BBB conundrum is the elephant in the room.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:45 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
The overreaction to a virus with this low of a mortality rate is unbelievable to me. I don’t want to get it either, doesn’t sound like a fun time, but it’s not the end of the world either. You need to get a grip.
Agreed. The solution is very simple, allow low risk people to stop being caged inside their own homes as long as they have a cloth mask and isolate the elder and obese population. An economic collapse is going to do way more damage than this virus.

We won’t have a vaccine for atleast until next year, China, Russia, and NK will never reveal their true numbers so it looks like we’ll just be stuck with the virus for a while. Oh, and China won’t stop eating wild animals or closing their wild animal markets either.

The notion that civilization can just “wait it out” in fear is the most asinine thing we’ve ever did. Did we forget there’s still billions of people alive who need to work for a living and actually want to live life outside their house?

Old 04-04-2020, 06:20 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Sorry dude but as soon as this CV19 gets figured out people are going to come back swinging economically. Banks will work out to let people catch up. Yeah we’re gonna spend a lot of money.

The only reason this is happening is because the virus is that contagious and the whole SIP orders. Really that’s it. Yes we’re having a hard time right now. It’s not gonna be decades. Your ability to predict the financial future of the economy of this country.....you can probably go gut a chicken and throw the entrails on top of a rock. It’s about as accurate as anything any of these doom and gloom posts. It’s not gonna be decades to recover. What a complete bunch of mumbo jumbo. You’re probably having a aneurism hoping the country just goes into Armageddon.

Is there gonna be some financial pain? Yes. But it’s not gonna be decades like you predict. You’re blowing the economy situation Way out of proportion

The Chinese are already starting their economy back up. Why couldn’t we? There is no reason not to once we get the infections down. There is no reason that a restaurant can’t open back up and start serving food hiring people. Or a hotel opens. People are going to reopen or start new businesses. Start shopping etc.
A consumer economy needs people with money in their pocket to get moving again. A lot of people are broke and unemployed. Those who aren't have really cut back their spending.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:34 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A consumer economy needs people with money in their pocket to get moving again.
Correct. And a consumer economy that is largely service-based requires a subset of people with money in their pocket to keep hiring those services.

See why it's going to be a cascade?

Old 04-04-2020, 08:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A consumer economy needs people with money in their pocket to get moving again. A lot of people are broke and unemployed. Those who aren't have really cut back their spending.
Yeah.....cut back on some of my spending for now. We pushed back buying a car. But it’s for maybe a few months not forever. And if people are employed they are spending money on basics and barely anything else. Also there are companies on a hiring run.

So.....what do you think is gonna happen when everything that was closed open back up? You ever hear of pent up demand? Lots of people are still working and will have money to spend . People are still gonna need to buy things like cars, clothes, etc. People assume because a percentage of people are out of work nobody has money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics