Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 06:03 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,312,131 times

Advertisements

IMHO, the push to privatize the USPS has little to do with delivering mail. It is a leftover from 20th century hostile takeovers in which the goal was to declare the pension fund to be "over funded", give a payout to the existing employees,convert to 401k and pocket the "excess". If there is an overfunded pension plan anywhere, it's the USPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 10:41 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Can somebody please explain zoning to me? Does it have something to do with mailing a letter in a town and that letter goes to another town to be sent and delivered back to the original town? I do much more through online bill pay or filling out papers or applications etc. than I used to. Those things used to all go through the mail. But, I sure would miss the Postal Service if it wasn't here. I have grandkids in college who never go look at their mailboxes. Things are changing. I have 3 rolls ahead of forever stamps in my desk drawer. Bought ahead when times were good with our business. It sure would be awful to not get to use those.

I don't know about zoning but sending the mail elsewhere and back to the city of origin has a simple reason. Independence, MO, for example, used to send all its mail to Kansas City. In KC it went through cacellation and soriing. That done, it was sent on out, meaning some of it might return to Independence. Why. Simply because Independence did not have cancellation and sorting facilities. Now they have and mail move a bit faster within that city.

As for mail taking longer than makes sense, yes there is a lot of that going on and, please, do not say "due to ...." I am so tired of hearing that. Anyway, an example. If you do not know your geography, get out your map. I lived in St Louis county, MO. A year ago, some books were shipped to me from New Jersey (on the east coast). Overnight flight to - not St Louis but - Kansas City. (check your map. 250 miles on to the west of where I live.

In K.C. UPS posted that they had turned it over to USPS in K. C. Then they posted that USPS could not find any such transfer. USPS had nothing to say. The books were lost. The shipper send me another package which also went the NJ - KC route. Two weeks later, both shipments arrived at my door. Then USPS posted "Delivered".

Then came the cost of mailing one set back to the shipper.

Oh! P. S. Yes, the same route was followed on a recent shipment this year.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:32 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
If USPS was smart, they would head towards a full digital-mailbox option for their customers.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If USPS was smart, they would head towards a full digital-mailbox option for their customers.

"full digital-mailbox"?????? Please explain.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
"full digital-mailbox"?????? Please explain.
https://ipostal1.com/how-virtual-mai...20box%20number.

Your virtual mailbox is a digital mailbox service that you access via any computer, tablet, or smartphone.

Receive, forward, pick up, shred, or discard mail and packages. Consolidate items to save on shipping.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:50 AM

That is what I thought you might be talking about. I have a friend who uses that. But the actual mail is still delivered to her house. That "pick up" could run into a lot of snags and I bet I don't need to name any of them. It certainly would not have worked well in the past five months and whatever more months we have to deal with this pandemic.

Yes, we could dispose of political ads, grocery ads which carriers keep telling us keep the post office in business. (Also keep the trash man in business).

But------ think of all the carriers who would be out of work. Hmmmm?

Sorry for my negativity. I'll go away. Carry on.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
That is what I thought you might be talking about. I have a friend who uses that. But the actual mail is still delivered to her house. That "pick up" could run into a lot of snags and I bet I don't need to name any of them. It certainly would not have worked well in the past five months and whatever more months we have to deal with this pandemic.

Yes, we could dispose of political ads, grocery ads which carriers keep telling us keep the post office in business. (Also keep the trash man in business).

But------ think of all the carriers who would be out of work. Hmmmm?

Sorry for my negativity. I'll go away. Carry on.

I understand your POV, totally legit in my opinion.

But that is what many people want, a modern-day version of mail-handling and delivery.

The mail would still go to a PO-box, and be managed by the customer online, or they could go in and pick up their mail like normal.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I understand your POV, totally legit in my opinion.

But that is what many people want, a modern-day version of mail-handling and delivery.

The mail would still go to a PO-box, and be managed by the customer online, or they could go in and pick up their mail like normal.

The managing part might help. Save the carrier handling stuff we just dump into the trash. The rest? A lot of people actually need their mail delivered.

There is no perfect solution. Cars replaced horses and more pedestrians got run over. But we also got ambulances to rush them to hospital faster and easier than horse and wagons could.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:56 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
Republicans or at least the current administration want(s) to destroy or undermine the USPS....and are speeding up their plan. They want the mail slowed -- big time -- before the November election.

So let's govern ourselves accordingly, and be prepared.

Last edited by selhars; 07-31-2020 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The managing part might help. Save the carrier handling stuff we just dump into the trash. The rest? A lot of people actually need their mail delivered.

There is no perfect solution. Cars replaced horses and more pedestrians got run over. But we also got ambulances to rush them to hospital faster and easier than horse and wagons could.

The digital-mailbox would be an option, you could still get home-delivery if you wanted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics