Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:27 PM

159 posts, read 632,506 times

Advertisements

I get that people can have capital gains and pay taxes on that and skip "income" taxes, but are folks here doing fine without paying any taxes at all? How do you all do it? I think people create tax shelters or can lower their taxes with write-offs. Please share your techniques? I think much of it involves real estate. Also, I guess alternative minimum tax does not apply to these individuals. Once again, how do you folks do that? I'd like to get involved with not paying taxes. I bet you folks get others to pay your taxes. Clever, very clever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 08:27 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Ask Wesley Snipes.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I guess if you lived in a State like WA State with no State income tax, are renting and all of your income is from a Tax Free Source such as Municipal Bonds... and you Shop in Oregon, a State without sales tax and did not own a car... your tax liability could be close to zero...

Old 05-04-2008, 10:48 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I guess if you lived in a State like WA State with no State income tax, are renting and all of your income is from a Tax Free Source such as Municipal Bonds... and you Shop in Oregon, a State without sales tax and did not own a car... your tax liability could be close to zero...
Very good!! That took you time to gather all those possibilities!! Love it!!

Excellent, another alternative is to have no income. But perhaps that was not the answer you were seeking?

Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
Ask Wesley Snipes.
Damn, that is what I was going to say!

Anyhow, there really is no way to avoid tax without having a low income and being very strategic about how you do things. For a family you can make up to 50k a year and get away with no tax if you do things very strategically, I can give you some examples if this is the sort of thing you are interested in hearing.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentFudge View Post
I get that people can have capital gains and pay taxes on that and skip "income" taxes, but are folks here doing fine without paying any taxes at all? How do you all do it? I think people create tax shelters or can lower their taxes with write-offs. Please share your techniques? I think much of it involves real estate. Also, I guess alternative minimum tax does not apply to these individuals. Once again, how do you folks do that? I'd like to get involved with not paying taxes. I bet you folks get others to pay your taxes. Clever, very clever.
Single people with less than $8450 of income generally are not required to pay ANY tax...married people with less than $17,500 generally aren't required to pay either.

So if you make below those levels, you'll have no tax to pay.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:07 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
I'll add this.

If you are self-employed and report net business profit then there is no way to avoid social security and medicare taxes (around 14.13%).

However, if you are frugal with your income and generate savings, there are many legitimate and useful deductions you can take to reduce your, strictly speaking, income tax either very significantly or to zero.

First among these are the standard deduction and personal exemptions. Then there are various pension plan accounts, the most significant one being the personal 401(k). Then there are health savings accounts and health care premiums. If you earn income abroad, there are foreign exemptions and foreign tax credits.

I have not mentioned itemized deductions or deductions relating to real estate and other types of investment.

My understanding is that for married couples the ATM calculation does not kick in until $130,000 in gross income, I believe.

Finally, it may also be worth noting that one could reasonably expect to receive back around 10%-15% of one's social security/medicare contributions, maybe less or more depending the real rate of inflation, the rate of taxation (social security income is taxed - actually double taxation) and how long one lives.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I am thinking that by no taxes you mean FEDERAL taxes... its easy. All you have to be is have about 10 M dollars which puts you in the top 0.01% and put everything in tax-free government bonds. Stop working and use the interest from those government bonds to live on which should net you a "free" salary basically. Unfortunately that only works if you are uber-rich but then America seems to think the "wealthy" all are able to do this... but then you have to figure how to give your heir that "money" so they never have to work... I think McCain is working on that right now... Its great when the uber-rich get away with everything whereas the top 10% pay all the burden..

Old 05-05-2008, 07:34 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am thinking that by no taxes you mean FEDERAL taxes... its easy. All you have to be is have about 10 M dollars which puts you in the top 0.01% and put everything in tax-free government bonds. Stop working and use the interest from those government bonds to live on which should net you a "free" salary basically. Unfortunately that only works if you are uber-rich but then America seems to think the "wealthy" all are able to do this... but then you have to figure how to give your heir that "money" so they never have to work... I think McCain is working on that right now... Its great when the uber-rich get away with everything whereas the top 10% pay all the burden..
That is life. But if it is a federal bond than the fed can still tax that, right? If it is a state bond than the feds can't tax that but the state can? Or would that be the point in not working? What about if you put all your money in stocks that pay good dividends and stop working. Is that a way you can avoid paying income taxes?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 AM

879 posts, read 1,962,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
If you are self-employed and report net business profit then there is no way to avoid social security and medicare taxes (around 14.13%).
Unless you happen to trade stocks for a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II
But if it is a federal bond than the fed can still tax that, right? If it is a state bond than the feds can't tax that but the state can? Or would that be the point in not working? What about if you put all your money in stocks that pay good dividends and stop working. Is that a way you can avoid paying income taxes?
Municipal bonds are federal tax-exempt. They're also state tax-exempt if purchased within that state. Dividends from stocks are normally taxed...except for some folks in the lower tax brackets who will pay ZERO tax on qualified dividends from 2008 through 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics