Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we get rid of the penny
Yes - the penny has outlived its usefulness and is too costly to produce 71 69.61%
No - getting rid of the penny will drive up consumer prices 24 23.53%
No - too many related jobs and industries are at risk 7 6.86%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 08:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And from the opposite, why should I as a customer pay 2 cents more?
Lol....Come on. The only reason there is even a price difference is if there is competition and in some cases the price is set by the manufacturer and you cannot sell it for less than that price.

Don’t kid yourself.... most if not all vendors will quickly and gladly pocket two cents on every transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 09:58 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Main reason vendors of all sorts want the penny kept around is so they can continue playing with consumer's heads.

There is a reason why things are priced $1.99 or $19.99 instead of $2 or $20.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing

That being said many feel that game of psychological pricing has been played out and consumers have gotten wise.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...d-1167/384993/

United States is almost lone of western industrial nations in keeping the penny, and as covid-19 events recently proved it really needs to go.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/b...age-penny.html

Old 01-13-2021, 11:14 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Main reason vendors of all sorts want the penny kept around is so they can continue playing with consumer's heads.

There is a reason why things are priced $1.99 or $19.99 instead of $2 or $20.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing

That being said many feel that game of psychological pricing has been played out and consumers have gotten wise.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...d-1167/384993/

United States is almost lone of western industrial nations in keeping the penny, and as covid-19 events recently proved it really needs to go.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/b...age-penny.html
As has already been discussed, repeatedly, vendors can still price goods at $1.99 or $19.99. Then when all of your purchases are totaled up, the final amount is rounded up or down. You could lose 2 cents on one entire basket of groceries and make 2 extra cents on the next. Ultimately, it all comes out about even.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:56 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I haven't used coins for along time. About as long as no wrist watch.
If I were King I'd keep only quarters. Maybe dimes. The smaller coins are essentially time wasters, and we don't hardly use larger coins anyway.
The dollar has lost 90% of its value since the coinage was established. A quarter is actually worth 2.5 cents and a dime is worth 1 cent. I toss change into a fruit jar until it's full, then take it to the credit union to run through the coin sorter. As long as I deposit it in my account, it's free. I keep a few coins in my car for parking meters.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:19 AM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol....Come on. The only reason there is even a price difference is if there is competition and in some cases the price is set by the manufacturer and you cannot sell it for less than that price.

Don’t kid yourself.... most if not all vendors will quickly and gladly pocket two cents on every transaction.
That was my point. There won't be any "rounding down".

Old 01-14-2021, 05:01 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Not only would I get rid of the penny, I would also get rid of the nickel, which is also worth more in metal than its face value. I would bring back the Kennedy half-dollar and the Eisenhower dollar coins. I would get rid of the dollar bill, and bring back the $500 & $1000 dollar bills. I would strictly limit the faces on American currency to dead presidents.
In 1913 the lowest denomination was the penny. It was worth the equivalent of 27 cents today and people didn't have a problem with a coin valued at 27 cents being the lowest denomination.

Ax the penny or the nickel and make the dime the lowest denomination. We could even get rid of the quarter. That would rejuvenate use of the half dollar.

If we got rid of the dollar bill as competition, the dollar coin would be popular. We could create a 2 dollar coin like the Canadians, maybe even a 5 dollar coin, leaving just the $10, $20, $50 and $100 bills.

For money laundering reasons, we probably won't see $500 & $1000 dollar bills, but other than that, MSHULTZ has the correct idea. It's time for a whole re-ordering of our coinage and currency.

Let's get rid of all of the nuisance coinage.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:35 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Yes, the devaluation of the American dollar is the fundamental problem. At one time, the silver dollar was one ounce of 90% silver, while the $20 gold piece was one ounce of 90% gold (the composition of gold coins varied over time, but was 90% when discontinued). The price of silver is $25.30 an ounce, while gold is $1,843.60 an ounce. The silver to gold price ratio has gone from 1:20 to 1:73 today.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:17 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
In 1913 the lowest denomination was the penny. It was worth the equivalent of 27 cents today and people didn't have a problem with a coin valued at 27 cents being the lowest denomination.

Ax the penny or the nickel and make the dime the lowest denomination. We could even get rid of the quarter. That would rejuvenate use of the half dollar.

If we got rid of the dollar bill as competition, the dollar coin would be popular. We could create a 2 dollar coin like the Canadians, maybe even a 5 dollar coin, leaving just the $10, $20, $50 and $100 bills.

For money laundering reasons, we probably won't see $500 & $1000 dollar bills, but other than that, MSHULTZ has the correct idea. It's time for a whole re-ordering of our coinage and currency.

Let's get rid of all of the nuisance coinage.
Half dollar coins are hardly used today, dollars even less. I can't see our society suddenly up and changing to accommodate using larger coins clanking around in their pockets. We are not Canadians!

Old 01-14-2021, 01:01 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Half dollar coins are hardly used today, dollars even less. I can't see our society suddenly up and changing to accommodate using larger coins clanking around in their pockets. We are not Canadians!
lol! Speak for yourself. Some of us are Wannabes, at least, if not the Real Deal.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:06 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I'd be much more interested in seeing them eliminate the dollar note and pushing dollar and two-dollar coins..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics