Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 12:46 PM

245 posts, read 311,067 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I received paternity leave (FMLA) pay from New Jersey in 2020, so the state issued me a 1099-G. Turbotax seems to think this is tax exempt like unemployment since it's issued on the same form. Is this correct? I've been trying to search the internet but can't find an answer.

(I assume it's wrong and I should try to override Turbotax but I can't figure out how to do that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 01:54 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hi,

I received paternity leave (FMLA) pay from New Jersey in 2020, so the state issued me a 1099-G. Turbotax seems to think this is tax exempt like unemployment since it's issued on the same form. Is this correct? I've been trying to search the internet but can't find an answer.

(I assume it's wrong and I should try to override Turbotax but I can't figure out how to do that.)
Any help here? States treat paid family leave income differently. Does Turbotax software incorporate state-specific rules?

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/p...-leave-taxable

Old 04-06-2021, 03:00 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Perhaps the answer is here https://www.nj.gov/labor/forms_pdfs/...9%20(1-18).pdf where on page 3 it says:

"Family Leave Insurance benefits are not subject to New Jersey state income tax"

Old 04-06-2021, 05:31 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,128 times
Do you pay for it as a deduction line on your paycheck? I was always under the assumption that insurance policies you directly pay are tax exempt. Insurance policies paid by your employer are not.

For Instance unemployment insurance isnt paid by the employee thus it's taxable (in normal years)

In CA we have a disability insurance that's mandatory to pay (1% of wages). All disability payments are thus tax free.

When I worked for the government the above disability insurance didnt apply to managers because our employer provided their own version. Since it was an employer paid benefit when you used it,it was taxable.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:13 PM

245 posts, read 311,067 times
I know that FMLA is always State exempt in NJ. I need to figure out if FMLA is exempt for FEDERAL purposes under the "American Rescue Plan" in 2020.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:55 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
First it is not FMLA it's FML. FLI is a federal act providing job protection during certain unpaid medical leave periods. FLI is NJ's version of state Family Leave Insurance payments.

In reading the American Rescue Plan, I can't find anything that exempts that payment from federal taxes. Since it sounds like you were approved based on paternity leave and not a medical disability, its technically not payment for the disability so those payments would be taxable. Additionally, payments made in 2020 wouldn't be covered anyways. You may need the help of a qualified tax professional to get the absolute correct answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics