Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 09:24 AM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Applause.

Let's not forget that Kroger operates more than Kroger-branded stores.

The Kroger Co. Family of Stores includes:
  • Baker’s
  • City Market
  • Dillons
  • Food 4 Less
  • Foods Co
  • Fred Meyer
  • Fry’s
  • Gerbes
  • Harris Teeter
  • King Soopers
  • Jay C Food Store
  • Kroger
  • Pay-Less Super Markets
  • QFC
  • Ralphs
  • Smith’s Food and Drug
Isn't it great that everyone is free to choose?
It is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuOdJ_1pLoY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 10:26 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I agree with this in concept, but I just looked at Kroger’s financials.

In 2020, operating profit and EPS for Kroger were up 50% from 2019

EPS: $3.47 vs. $2.19
Operating Profit: $4.1 billion vs. $3.0 billion.

Just seems to me that the firm has the ability to weather the pandemic by more fairly compensating it s employees and also projecting a positive public image. I’m not suggesting this would necessarily be a sustainable cost increase forever, but I think the financials show they could afford to do it right now. And I do think it would make them look like a good corporate citizen.
I agree with Athena53. What happens when they roll the wages back? Why should they get a raise? Are they working harder per hour than pre pandemic? You are v
Basically saying the employees should be getting a profit sharing plan since you say Kroger is doing well. When Kroger isn’t doing well, should the employees take an hourly pay cut?

I will add that if employees feel they aren’t paid enough they have the freedom to leave And work elsewhere to seek market wages.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:32 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Applause.

Let's not forget that Kroger operates more than Kroger-branded stores.

The Kroger Co. Family of Stores includes:
  • Baker’s
  • City Market
  • Dillons
  • Food 4 Less
  • Foods Co
  • Fred Meyer
  • Fry’s
  • Gerbes
  • Harris Teeter
  • King Soopers
  • Jay C Food Store
  • Kroger
  • Pay-Less Super Markets
  • QFC
  • Ralphs
  • Smith’s Food and Drug
Isn't it great that everyone is free to choose?
Mariano's as well Here in the Chicago area.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:42 AM

3,260 posts, read 1,413,010 times
Tough crowd here....I think it is interesting that nearly all of us (including me) agree that Kroger is well within their rights as a business entity to shut down operations for whatever reason (don’t like the local wage laws, see better opportunities elsewhere, etc). What I find disturbing though is that many of you also seem to applaud Kroger for doing this...like it is the right thing to do. I’m certainly not knowledgeable enough about Kroger’s finances but in spite of Kroger’s so called razor thin margins, they did have an increase in operating profit to $4.1 BILLION, and they currently have $2.8 BILLION of cash on hand. If they have 200 employees in those two stores and the work 2000 hours a year, that works out to $4 x 200 x 2000 = $1,600,000....if I did my math correctly that is .04% of 2020’s profits. You guys seriously believe these sorts of marginal changes to Kroger’s financial situation are going to put the company of the brink of financial ruin? The Kroger’s CEO compensation in 2018 (sorry..only thing I could find quickly) was about $12 MILLION. That’s for one year..if he took a cut of 10% just for one year, that would cover 75% of the $4 increase.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:55 AM

3,260 posts, read 1,413,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I agree with Athena53. What happens when they roll the wages back? Why should they get a raise? Are they working harder per hour than pre pandemic? You are v
Basically saying the employees should be getting a profit sharing plan since you say Kroger is doing well. When Kroger isn’t doing well, should the employees take an hourly pay cut?

I will add that if employees feel they aren’t paid enough they have the freedom to leave And work elsewhere to seek market wages.
My thoughts:

(1) Once the pandemic is at a point where people are not risking their health by working in environments that are currently susceptible to catching COVID, I would agree that the premium pay legislation is no longer necessary. Reasonable people can disagree when that time comes, but it should not be a permanent entitlement.

(2) They May or may not be working harder, but they are working in more dangerous conditions in an industry that is critical to all of us. We need them to stock shelves, package meet, etc so we have all ready access to food.

(3) Kroger is doing well by many measures of financial success...see my previous posts. They have lots of cash on hand. A 10% cut in the CEO’s compensation for one year would cover 75% of the cost of the $4 premium for one year (see my previous post for math and assumptions)

(4) You are correct...Kroger employees can leave at anytime. But do you really want to be the company that lets that happen under these conditions? This is the time you ought to be showing his much you really value your employees and demonstrate your commitment to them.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
$600 a week is $15 an hour. The minimum wage has been raised.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:55 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I worked at Kroger during summers between school semesters thirty plus years ago. I haven't kept up with what they do. Even as a part timer, they offered health insurance, stock options, increased pay on holidays and possibly Sundays, and offered a one time use 5% discount on groceries each week. They were a good company to work for and our store manager was highly respected by all of us. I'm sure there have been changes over the years and not sure if all of those benefits still exist. They have a model of what works and if the forced pay increases don't work, then it is understandable that they would leave the market in that area.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:06 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Tough crowd here....I think it is interesting that nearly all of us (including me) agree that Kroger is well within their rights as a business entity to shut down operations for whatever reason (don’t like the local wage laws, see better opportunities elsewhere, etc). What I find disturbing though is that many of you also seem to applaud Kroger for doing this...like it is the right thing to do. I’m certainly not knowledgeable enough about Kroger’s finances but in spite of Kroger’s so called razor thin margins, they did have an increase in operating profit to $4.1 BILLION, and they currently have $2.8 BILLION of cash on hand. If they have 200 employees in those two stores and the work 2000 hours a year, that works out to $4 x 200 x 2000 = $1,600,000....if I did my math correctly that is .04% of 2020’s profits. You guys seriously believe these sorts of marginal changes to Kroger’s financial situation are going to put the company of the brink of financial ruin? The Kroger’s CEO compensation in 2018 (sorry..only thing I could find quickly) was about $12 MILLION. That’s for one year..if he took a cut of 10% just for one year, that would cover 75% of the $4 increase.
It doesn't help your case where you say "so called" razor thin margins and then turn around and cite total dollars of profit when those values are all readily available.

Those billions get divided amongst hundreds of millions if not billions of shares of stock.

They're a massive company and I would hope we do not have a return to the dishonest ploys of 2007 or so where "record profits" were screamed without regard to concepts like inflation or company size.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:00 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
There are so many grocery stores, often very close together; it must be pretty cheap to run them.
Raising wages makes it more expensive, so they'll close a few. If you really want to shop at that store brand, you'll drive a little further; otherwise, you'll shop what's left.

I hope this doesn't hurt poor neighborhoods, which usually have fewer choices already, and are subject to ghetto pricing.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
The heroes pay was temporary. This is disgusting.

For all those complaining about increasing the minimum wage, are you promoting a permanent underclass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics