Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 10:18 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
A lot of people woke up in the last year to the possibility that maybe, just maybe they didn't have to settle for subsistence level pay in a demeaning job and those people have been looking for and accepting better jobs before settling for their pre-pandemic dead-end. Those businesses whose existence depends on rock-bottom labor costs are re-examining their business models.
That is because they are being artificially propped up by the government.

I have an aunt who owned a painting company that had around fifty employees pre-COVID. One of my cousins (not her son), worked for her. He made $10/hr at 21-22.

He was laid off in 3/2020. All the unemployment benefits, combined, here in Tennessee were a $22/hr, 40 hour week equivalency for this kid. That was more money than this kid had sniffed his entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 01:29 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I have an aunt who owned a painting company that had around fifty employees pre-COVID. One of my cousins (not her son), worked for her. He made $10/hr at 21-22.

He was laid off in 3/2020. All the unemployment benefits, combined, here in Tennessee were a $22/hr, 40 hour week equivalency for this kid. That was more money than this kid had sniffed his entire life.
True for your cousin and many others.

Now the UE benefits are ending many will return to these jobs.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:11 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Tell me specifically where is the labor shortage then. Why didnt you state where? Give yourself some credibility. I have not seen this labor shortage anywhere I go.
-----
where did you go?your basement?the state prison?
there are 10 million jobs open according to the BLS. They know, you don't. Your observations mean nothing.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:08 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
there are 10 million jobs open according to the BLS.
And 8.5M unemployed to fill those positions, according to the remainder of your stat.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:22 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:

They gave $300 a week in additional unemployment. To put it in perspective, after the 2008 financial crisis, Obama gave $25 additional per week.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh good grief, in the OP I linked directly to an article on the very lackluster and disappointing jobs report. But wait, I'll add more just to please you:

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourn...ose-wages.html

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/opinion/4106002.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/labo...loyment-2021-7

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...st-2021-08-10/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william...h=6aa657fa1fb0

There are tons more but I'm tired of cutting and pasting links at this point. Just google Labor Shortage.
LOL, I have read the headlines. But it aint matching what I am seeing unless we are talking about some small rural town that was losing population even before Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It's everywhere. Go ask any restaurant or small business owner.
Not in my area.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
just look at the number of available jobs from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.....it's all there are people blind?
Is there anyway the Bureau of Labor Stats can guarantee these "available" jobs are really an urgent must hire now guaranteed long term job and not just a fishing proposition? Will the employers be punished for false reporting?

"Available" is an ambiguous term. It may be available, but not urgent, and employer can sit on it until literally the perfect person or right situation calls for it.

I remember when I got out of college, I looked through Dept of Labor sponsored websites for available jobs. I am sure these websites and Bureau of Labor Stats are connected in some way through the Dept of Labor. Lots of listings abound. I must have sent out 100s of inquiries but no one ever responded to me. They were all just fishing propositions.

Quote:
This is correct.

It isn't so bad here because this area isn't in demand compared to middle TN or even western NC.

I had a heat pump contractor out within a week of me calling with a new heat pump in within ten days. My parents had a backsplash for the kitchen done within six weeks. I have enough personal connections to where I could probably get a handyman to do something small relatively quickly.

That said, I've never seen anything like this on the labor shortage, but it's not like wages are budging much here. Sonic here in Bristol is paying $10/hr. In Weaverville, NC, where my girlfriend lives, it's $17/hr. For carhops.
When it comes to construction/fixit/handyman type of work, whoever answers and services on same day or even next day is likely not getting enough business. So if this is the case, there is a labor over-supply.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
During Uni,independent plumbers are not coming to the phone.
If they do,they do not show up the next day.
1-800-flower said they are looking for 10,000?STATEFARM 9000.
Doordash,etc are short on drivers.
I cant imagine what this Xmas looks like

Old 09-08-2021, 12:23 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
They gave $300 a week in additional unemployment. To put it in perspective, after the 2008 financial crisis, Obama gave $25 additional per week.
The goal was for people to control the pandemic, isolate so as not to spread the virus, and to not cause a collapse of the economy when we forced its shutdown because of the virus.

It'll take some time for Humpty Dumpty to be put back together again.

In retrospect, we did too many pandemic restrictions too widely and indiscriminately. There should have been regional shutdowns as needed and clearer protocols of what level of restrictions were needed for what intensity level of covid spread. But we all freaked out.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:40 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
I've got another anecdote to add...

Talked to the manager of one of the largest brewpubs in my town. His whole front end staff could be counted on your hand, made up of a few overwhelmed high school students and one more experienced waitress maybe around 30. Pre-covid there were double or more that amount of front end staff at this location. I witnessed the manager talk down one of the high school girls from quitting on the spot after a customer insulted and verbally abused her. She looked about 45 seconds away from throwing her apron down and walking out if he hadn't calmed her down.

So one problem is - service jobs SUCK now. The public is considerably nastier to deal with and people don't want these jobs unless they have no other choice. I've witnessed people threaten retail workers with bodily harm over masks; there's no way I would sign up for that.

Problem two - He said many of his prior staff had stories similar to one of his line cooks. After the March 2020 layoffs it was months before they could hire them back. This particular one got on unemployment and moved in with his parents, then later into a house with 4 other guys. Because everything was shut down he didn't spend much. He saved about 14k, most money he's ever had in his life. He can live on that 14k for months even with u/e cut off. He is vaguely looking for jobs, preferably better than the one he had, and will only go back to line cook of he has to.

Last edited by redguard57; 09-08-2021 at 12:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics