Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2023, 01:20 AM

30,625 posts, read 18,203,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Travel and leisure would be the first thing I would "normally" expect people to cut back on when they're being squeezed. But... they're not? They seem to be spending... more!

I mean, I've been doing uber/doordash, and the amount of waste I see in what people order for delivery is insane. Across all socio-economic neighborhoods. Rich and poor alike, they'll spend $50 ordering in stuff that would have cost them $30 to purchase themselves if they just drove to get it.
I am curious to know how many of these people get some kind of rebate via their credit cards, which makes the upcharge more palatable. For instance, through my Amex platinum and gold cards, I get $25 worth of Uber/Uber Eats credits per month. I think other cards offer benefits for services like doordash as well. I know this doesn't explain everything (and perhaps not even anything close to most), but it is something I'm curious about.

Note, even with my monthly Uber Eats credits, I still only ever pick up my food (it's quicker than waiting for delivery and there's not a "tip" expectation).

Relating back to the topic, though, I can easily see how those who are just "blowing" money on services like Uber Eats are affording these high property prices today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 06:20 AM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
How accurate are your deliveries? Do you use the service for perishable food or just non-perishable items?
I get Walmart+ deliveries every week for fresh produce and other groceries. 100% accurate and the produce choices have been excellent. I order the night before for 8 am week day delivery. The time savings is well worth the tip. I don't allow substitutions.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:03 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I get Walmart+ deliveries every week for fresh produce and other groceries. 100% accurate and the produce choices have been excellent. I order the night before for 8 am week day delivery. The time savings is well worth the tip. I don't allow substitutions.

I use Walmart+ for groceries pretty regularly. When substitutions need to be made, they’re always in my favor. My only real complaint is that people who bag are pretty careless. I’m not particularly picky about how my groceries are bagged but a loaf of bread at the bottom with a bunch of canned stuff on top? Let’s use some common sense here

Old 09-29-2023, 08:37 AM

7,762 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Why would this be an issue for politicians to solve? The best they can do is make it more inefficient.

It seems americans are spending any increase in income because savings/investing rates are dropping quickly.
The inflation component of the economic problem is one for which we as the voting public can hold our elected representatives responsible.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:04 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
Rates have been higher, but you're not seeing the big picture, number one, the false value of the houses created the ability to borrow tons of money against them, problem is when the value of the house goes back to reality the money is still owed, the equity loan doesn't disappear with the inflated value of the home. I'm a builder, I only work for very wealthy people, they're not buying anything else for about six months to a year, I'm remodeling what they have bought in the last 6 years. These people are not going to buy until it drops 50 percent or more. So tell me how any average sucker who took out a loan for a 200 thousand dollar house, turns around and borrows another 120 on it when the fake value went up can sell it when it's dropping like a lead balloon, the bank will not roll the 120 like a used car loan, unless they got other properties to off set the loss, many don't, so in the end the sub prime 2008 crash was nothing to what's coming. Millions will be homeless. (in my dreams where we actually don't bail out everything and hold people accountable for reckless spending and overleveraging)

Last edited by Lizap; 09-30-2023 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: deleted offensive language

Old 09-29-2023, 07:46 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I am curious to know how many of these people get some kind of rebate via their credit cards, which makes the upcharge more palatable. For instance, through my Amex platinum and gold cards, I get $25 worth of Uber/Uber Eats credits per month. I think other cards offer benefits for services like doordash as well. I know this doesn't explain everything (and perhaps not even anything close to most), but it is something I'm curious about.

Note, even with my monthly Uber Eats credits, I still only ever pick up my food (it's quicker than waiting for delivery and there's not a "tip" expectation).

Relating back to the topic, though, I can easily see how those who are just "blowing" money on services like Uber Eats are affording these high property prices today.
My hypothesis is that a lot of people are spending through everything they've got.

I know from my personal conversations that not a lot of my peers (I'm 40), have a ton of liquid cash to burn. They make okay money but they spend most of it. I remember talking to one of my friends and we were talking about our car buying experiences. He asked me what kind of payments I had. I replied, quizzically, "payments?" I would never finance a car unless they were offering me 0% interest, or maybe 1.x%. Typically I pay cash when I need a car. I dip into a medium term goal fund to pay for stuff like that. Having 20-30k to do that kind of thing was amazing to him.

I'm kind of constantly obsessing about my net worth and how it's allocated, what's growing, what's not, etc.. My sense is not a lot of people think that way.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:57 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
My hypothesis is that a lot of people are spending through everything they've got.

I know from my personal conversations that not a lot of my peers (I'm 40), have a ton of liquid cash to burn. They make okay money but they spend most of it. I remember talking to one of my friends and we were talking about our car buying experiences. He asked me what kind of payments I had. I replied, quizzically, "payments?" I would never finance a car unless they were offering me 0% interest, or maybe 1.x%. Typically I pay cash when I need a car. I dip into a medium term goal fund to pay for stuff like that. Having 20-30k to do that kind of thing was amazing to him.

I'm kind of constantly obsessing about my net worth and how it's allocated, what's growing, what's not, etc.. My sense is not a lot of people think that way.
I do not agree with you about what others have or others do or how they spend their money.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-29-2023 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-30-2023, 12:38 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The inflation component of the economic problem is one for which we as the voting public can hold our elected representatives responsible.
My comment was not about controlling inflation - I was talking about incomes keeping up with inflation - that is not something I would want politicians involved in.

Old 09-30-2023, 06:17 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I do not agree with you about what others have or others do or how they spend their money.
We don't really know what people have or how they spend it, so anecdotes and surveys are all we've got.

But given how consumer spending doesn't miss a beat, either people have a lot more money than they used to, and I mean A LOT, or they're burning through what they've got and utlizing credit.

Last edited by redguard57; 09-30-2023 at 07:10 AM..

Old 09-30-2023, 11:55 AM

5,974 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The actual items in the order are almost always accurate. There might be a minor substitute - Bird's Eye peas for Great Value peas, for instance. All of the perishable and even frozen items have come still cold or frozen.

The issue in my area is a lack of drivers to get the orders to homes. I've had to cancel a couple of orders because of a lack of drivers.
I'll bet there are plenty of people in your area who COULD drive vehicles and deliver orders, but that would mean giving up some or perhaps all of their freebie disability income from the government. Therefore, they'll stay home and watch TV and draw the government bennies rather than get a job actually doing something productive. I don't mean to pick on your area because the same thing is true of every area of the country to one degree or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics