Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 03:27 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

IndyMac halts new loans under agreement with regulators - MarketWatch

IndyMac said Monday that it had been unable to raise fresh capital and that it is likely to report a loss for the second quarter bigger than the $184.2 million loss recorded in the first quarter. Regulators also have advised the thrift operator that it is no longer considered "well-capitalized." When a bank or thrift is no longer deemed well-capitalized, regulators are required to ratchet up their scrutiny.

Late last month, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) sent a letter to regulators raising questions about the solvency of the thrift and prodded them to do more to monitor the company closely. The letter spooked investors and depositors, quickly leading customers to withdraw $100 million in deposits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:46 PM

IndyMac Wreck Could Lead to S&L Pile-Up - TheStreet.com

Unless it quickly raises capital or finds a way to sell major portions of its business, IndyMac can't survive for the next several quarters unless overall housing prices show some signs of life. A rebound in housing would make the mortgage-backed securities market much more liquid, supporting prices and curtailing writedowns. It would also help to stabilize IndyMac's loan quality and enable it to pare down its quarterly provisions for loan loss reserves.

Following the lender's announcement, Fitch Ratings cut its long-term issuer default ratings for IndyMac further into junk territory. Research firms Friedman Billings Ramsey and RBC Capital Markets lowered their price targets on the stock all the way to $0.

Acknowledging that it would be unable to sell assets -- and thus boost the capital ratios -- without incurring even larger net losses, IndyMac said Monday it would "curtail most new loan production." While the company will fund new loans with rates already locked-in, it will no longer accept most retail and wholesale mortgage applications.

So, in other words...you have a lender who won't/can't lend.
So, in other words...they're not a lender anymore.

I mean, If it were a car dealership and it said "I won't sell any more cars because I'm not making any money, but I'll just hold on to what I've got and pray for the best....and that's just the way it is"....then I'd definitely not want to be part of that car selling organization. It's just a dead duck in the water.

I wonder if anyone will try and revive this dead duck.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
IndyMac Wreck Could Lead to S&L Pile-Up - TheStreet.com

Unless it quickly raises capital or finds a way to sell major portions of its business, IndyMac can't survive for the next several quarters unless overall housing prices show some signs of life. A rebound in housing would make the mortgage-backed securities market much more liquid, supporting prices and curtailing writedowns. It would also help to stabilize IndyMac's loan quality and enable it to pare down its quarterly provisions for loan loss reserves.

Following the lender's announcement, Fitch Ratings cut its long-term issuer default ratings for IndyMac further into junk territory. Research firms Friedman Billings Ramsey and RBC Capital Markets lowered their price targets on the stock all the way to $0.

Acknowledging that it would be unable to sell assets -- and thus boost the capital ratios -- without incurring even larger net losses, IndyMac said Monday it would "curtail most new loan production." While the company will fund new loans with rates already locked-in, it will no longer accept most retail and wholesale mortgage applications.

So, in other words...you have a lender who won't/can't lend.
So, in other words...they're not a lender anymore.

I mean, If it were a car dealership and it said "I won't sell any more cars because I'm not making any money, but I'll just hold on to what I've got and pray for the best....and that's just the way it is"....then I'd definitely not want to be part of that car selling organization. It's just a dead duck in the water.

I wonder if anyone will try and revive this dead duck.
Your forgetting that IndyMac isn't just a loan originator, that it is also a commercial and retail bank that... btw is offering the best rates, FDIC insured.

For opportunists, IndyMac CD yields are a bonanza | Money & Company | Los Angeles Times

It's called having a diversified product mix/portfolio and not just jumping along with the bandwagon.

-chuck22b

Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 PM

Oh well, I guess it all doesn't matter now. Sock this one down as another kill thanks to the media and a Senator's loose mouth.

IndyMac Bank Closes, Transfers Operations To Federal Gov't - Money News Story - KNBC | Los Angeles

"The immediate cause of the closing was a deposit run that began and continued after the public release of a June 26 letter to the OTS and the FDIC from Sen. Charles Schumer of New York, according to the OTS. The letter expressed concerns about IndyMac's viability. In the following 11 business days, depositors withdrew more than $1.3 billion from their accounts."

Deposits:
Deposit inflows in the three days prior to June 27, 2008: $31.2 million
June 26, Senator Schumer's address
Deposit outflows beginning June 27, 2008: $730.2 million through July 7 and $1.3 billion through July 10

They were trying to work things out and was still receiving deposits until the senators remarks. Oh well, lost jobs and probably more banking institution consolidation. I guess BOA and the bigger institutions can get bigger and we'll have no choice but to bank with them instead.

-chuck22b

Old 07-11-2008, 05:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Guess we can close this thread now..they went belly up.

Any bets on the next bank to do the same ?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Guess we can close this thread now..they went belly up.

Any bets on the next bank to do the same ?
Depends on who the news media and analysts concentrate on next

Old 07-11-2008, 06:12 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Depends on who the news media and analysts concentrate on next
Or which bank gets mentioned in a letter from Senator Schumer (D-NY).

Old 07-12-2008, 09:45 AM

I missed out on 4 days of really high interest, though.

HA HA HA HA HA.

Last edited by 70Ford; 07-12-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics