Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,899 times

Advertisements

The second round of rebates for taxpayers are in the works ?
Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 AM

483 posts, read 1,561,529 times
Well I agree with Bernanke, I don't think the first stimulus package has done for the economy what it was thought to be capable of doing. I too think it should wait so that we can measure the full extent of the help received by the first.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Just let the real estate bubble burst and the extra income we get to keep will be a better stimulus!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:21 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Who is exactly paying for the first round of stimulus? And who is going to pay the second round? Getting further into debt is not a solution... it becomes an even bigger problem...

Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Who is exactly paying for the first round of stimulus? And who is going to pay the second round? Getting further into debt is not a solution... it becomes an even bigger problem...
Well, I heard today on Paul Harvey that we basically had to borrow the money for the stimulus checks (we're already 9 trillion in debt). And that China holds a large bulk of it. So basically, you could say that we borrowed from China to buy chinese products to prop up the economy...Only in America!

There's something about the idea that I don't like. It just doesn't seem like good economics when the government owes so much as it is.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:34 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
As much as I'd like to receive more money from the government (taxpayers) to pay my tax bill, I'm left wondering for how long my kids will be footing the bill for these stimulus payments. I heard that millions upon millions of dollars of the first stimulus payments were held by the IRS to satisfy taxpayer's balances, back child support, etc.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:41 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Has anybody noticed that oil stayed expensive while the government was mailing out stimulus checks, and now that they're spent, oil demand is finally dropping?

If the government floods us with money again, all we're going to do is fill our gas tanks and drive up the price......

Old 07-16-2008, 04:54 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Has anybody noticed that oil stayed expensive while the government was mailing out stimulus checks, and now that they're spent, oil demand is finally dropping?

If the government floods us with money again, all we're going to do is fill our gas tanks and drive up the price......
If it was only that simple!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Well, I heard today on Paul Harvey that we basically had to borrow the money for the stimulus checks (we're already 9 trillion in debt). And that China holds a large bulk of it. So basically, you could say that we borrowed from China to buy chinese products to prop up the economy...Only in America!

There's something about the idea that I don't like. It just doesn't seem like good economics when the government owes so much as it is.
Eh, we're already so far in debt, there's no hope of paying it off. If our economy is going to crash, we might as well go out with a bang!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
As much as I'd like to receive more money from the government (taxpayers) to pay my tax bill, I'm left wondering for how long my kids will be footing the bill for these stimulus payments. I heard that millions upon millions of dollars of the first stimulus payments were held by the IRS to satisfy taxpayer's balances, back child support, etc.
Yes, there goes the idea taxation without representation. We are going to leave this debt to our children to pay back through taxes, and they have absolutely no say so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics