Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_1979 View Post
We all know that the government CPI understates inflation rather dramatically, but even the CPI is projected to reach 8% by the end of 2008.

Moore Inflation Predictor © (MIP) from Financial Trend Forecaster (http://fintrend.com/ftf/mip.asp - broken link)

Moore Inflation Predictor Chart
I am afraid that is probably on the low end of where real inflation may end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:27 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Didn't you hear what Bush had to say? Not to worry.. there is NO problem... don't mind the eviction notice, repo man, and bill collectors... everything is okay... we all are okay.. Just remember to overspend like Bush says... Don't you feel better now that Bush has told you are doing okay... Its not like the government has ever lied before...
ROFL, man this should be a quote on a shirt!

Old 07-23-2008, 03:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
This conversations about inflation go no where because nobody agrees on definitions. Some equate "inflation" with "prices going up", others are speaking from a Keynesian perspective (like Mircea here with his "different sorts of inflation") and yet others are speaking from a more Monetarist/Austrian perspective.
no one here agrees on definitions and such because, few here know what they are talking about. You can not go around making up definitions and your own little quirks about what is or isn't. People must first consult economic principles and standards, find out what is the meaning of x, y and z. Once the principles and universally accepted definitions are in place, then come here and debate based on sound principles and indisputable facts. Well, I guess that is asking for to much, seeing as how that would be counter intuitive to the nature of these sorts of forums.

Just so you don't come back and attack me. Basically, I am saying I agree with you 100%.

Last edited by Wild Style; 07-23-2008 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 04:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
This conversations about inflation go no where because nobody agrees on definitions. Some equate "inflation" with "prices going up", others are speaking from a Keynesian perspective (like Mircea here with his "different sorts of inflation") and yet others are speaking from a more Monetarist/Austrian perspective.
You mean uneducated people don't agree on definitions. I'm quoting right out of classical economics.

How did Nixon and FDR know that implementing Wage & Price Freezes would halt inflation? Did they just guess? Or where they relying on well-defined causes of inflation, looked to see what actually was driving inflation and then took action that was appropriate?

And inflation is "prices going up." When the value of anything is inflated, it is reflected through an increase in price.

Absent banking systems and money, inflation still occurs. If there's a shortage of wheat, why should I give you a bushel of wheat for 2 chickens, when someone else will pay me 3 chickens?

Even if there isn't a shortage of wheat, if John the Stalwart is willing to pay me 3 chickens for a bushel of wheat while you won't pay more than 2 chickens, I'll sell it to John the Stalwart because it benefits me.

There's always natural inflationary pressure on prices, but other conditions can exacerbate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics