Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:34 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,229 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what people think. Is this new bailout a good idea? Will our economy totally crash if there is no bailout? Watching the news right now and some people say yes and others say a bailout is unamerican.
What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
i say give them the money, heck don't make them pay tax payers back. BUT they should then have to forgive EVERY loan they had made in return. Wipe the slate clean for everyone.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:33 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
i say give them the money, heck don't make them pay tax payers back. BUT they should then have to forgive EVERY loan they had made in return. Wipe the slate clean for everyone.
Somehow I don't think that will ever happen! The working stiff will still have to pay and pay and pay.
I mistyped the title of the this thread too. It is 700 billion dollar bailout!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
It hasn't crashed yet. I think it will recover on its own.

And by the time both parties (especially the Democrat spenders) come up with a bailout plan the tab will be around $2T. Pulling $2T out of the hands of taxpayers seems like a much worse plan. Why not let the people that invested in these companies pay for their own mistakes?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
Just curious as to what people think. Is this new bailout a good idea? Will our economy totally crash if there is no bailout? Watching the news right now and some people say yes and others say a bailout is unamerican.
What say you?
Handing out free money JUST to move debt from the left hand to the right hand is NOT a good idea.. the problem is still there... Would you like to pay 10-15% more taxes just to MOVE debt around? Its like playing musical chairs and saying that playing this game fixes the problems that there isn't enough chairs... except TAXPAYERS are the ones who doesn't have a chiar...

Yes, there is significant economic turmoil... is it disastrous? NO, don't listen to "opinions" and make-believe hype... there will be NO crash, but there will be a significant recession, that much is a given... what do you expect when Americans have been living beyond their means for SEVERAL decades in addition to creating businesses for "niche" markets and get loans in the millions for a failing business model... anyone could of told of you that any downturn and these niche markets will be the first to go.. was it ANY surprise that these small business niche markets fail... Will large corporations who have been propping up these niche markets to turn a profit have serious problems? Absolutely, why shouldn't they? Spend money like an idiot and you will go bankrupt and so they have...

Bailout is not necessary... NONE whatsoever 1) It doesn't "fix" anything, it only moves debts around 2) Taxpayers will be left holding the bag 3) Increase inflation 4) It does NOT stop more bailouts 5) Props up business that SHOULD fail and be gotten rid of 6) Bails out mostly the wealthy...

All this "fearmongering" is to push people to accept a bad deal... when someone uses FEAR to make you do something, you KNOW it is a bad idea... when someone tells you that this is the "only" solution, you KNOW it is a bad idea... when someone who thinks bailing out the mostly wealthy, will save the economy... they are just flat out LYING... take a minute to think about it... if it sounds like a bad idea... IT IS...

Old 09-23-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
It hasn't crashed yet. I think it will recover on its own.

And by the time both parties (especially the Democrat spenders) come up with a bailout plan the tab will be around $2T. Pulling $2T out of the hands of taxpayers seems like a much worse plan. Why not let the people that invested in these companies pay for their own mistakes?
still getting caught up in trivial things like democrat/republican i see.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile I was under the impression

When the government did the RTC (Resolution Trust) bailout, they actually made money.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
still getting caught up in trivial things like democrat/republican i see.
^ It's ok to say you are a democrat.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Sure, why not? Lets socialize the losses and privatize the profits...

Where's the accountability for all the people who got us into this mess?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
^ It's ok to say you are a democrat.
I don't believe in democrat or republican. I have always said I don't believe in democracy. I don't think any tom, rick or harry should be allowed to vote. Personally I don't think most people have the mental capacity to vote. Not saying people are dumb, just saying most are extremely ignorant on issues such as international politics, economics, social issues etc. Things that are extremely important when it comes to choosing a leader of a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics