Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
That part of the bill will be thrown out. Congress was outraged over it, it's Un-American. The Bafoon/Paulson, himself said today he expects plenty of oversite. Did any of you really expect this bill to be passed as is? If they pass this bill as an investment plan, which they're trying to do, we, the taxpayers footing this bill, may very well see a return on it someday
ever heard of the patriot act?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Default Rescue of Main St. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
ever heard of the patriot act?
Read please

William H. Gross - How Main Street Will Profit

If you still agree otherwise, and this does not go through, I wish you good luck and maybe I'll see ya out on the streets someday.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Hmmm let me get this straight. We have companies through poor executive decisions have lost fortunes, and we are to give these execs more money to fix what they screwed up? hmmm that makes sense. you can't do it the first time but we will give you more money so you can do it the next time.... FIRE THEM, no parachutes, benefits or bonuses. Sue them for incompetence. take their company shares.... oh they probably didnt invest as they knew they were screwing it up.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
FIRE THEM, no parachutes, benefits or bonuses. Sue them for incompetence. take their company shares.... oh they probably didnt invest as they knew they were screwing it up.
I wholeheartedly agree. I believe a part of this Bail Out Bill/Investment plan, should be to give us the taxpayers, shareholdings in these companies.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 AM

472 posts, read 872,379 times
I see this as a neccesary evil... we can allow the markets to try and work things out... but the reality is without government intervention... no one is going to lay out a $.10 to prop up any of this bad debt. I agree with Peter Schiff on this... mostly because he's been right all along, yet I also buy into the pressure that things are looking bleak out there. Are you ready for a Dow of 7500... how about 6000. And yes... lending is freezing up. The company's I work for payroll of 330 employees is paid through a line of credit. They have cash reserves in place, however the second the bank freezes of shuts down the LC will be the second that 330 shrinks to 150 employees.

I agree there is great risk... because we don't know how bad the loans being purchased are.... as Schiff and other economists say, it just prolong the pain and make things worse. Or a $700Bill could be an injection of confidence for the market.

One thing is completely certain... if we do nothing you will see unemployment like we have never seen in 70 years. Worse than Regan's unemployment in te early 80's. I'm certain of it. I know without my company's ability to lend for it's day to day operational costs, my job would be gone yesterday. I work in sales and marketing for a book publishing company. I've already seen three business close their doors this spring, and a major national bookstore chain is on basic lifesupport... literally paying their bills in cash, because insurers won't write policy against their purchases. It just didn't get bad out there... it's been bad for nearly two years. It's just that America is finally waking up from the party to realize it's credit card has been canceled, they bounced their last check and ... oh crap the rent was due, yesterday.

I am against a bailout of any kind... however, I see this as a necessary evil. The government has to due something to sure up confidence and take some pressure off the market.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 AM

472 posts, read 872,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Yes, there is significant economic turmoil... is it disastrous? NO, don't listen to "opinions" and make-believe hype... there will be NO crash,

Bailout 1) It doesn't "fix" anything, it only moves debts around 2) Taxpayers will be left holding the bag 3) Increase inflation 4) It does NOT stop more bailouts 5) Props up business that SHOULD fail and be gotten rid of 6) Bails out mostly the wealthy...

I agree with almost everything you say in the post above... except the uncertainty of what remains after all of the chips fall if we just let things slide. Ron Paul says 1 yr of misery if we pass on the bailouts and 10 yrs of misery if we go through with them. I hope he's right. At this point it's hard to believe anyone in this situation.... especailly Hank Paulson and Ben Bernanke.

However we are at a critcal point in our American economy... we cannot afford long term unemployement. NYC is already predicting 40,000 jobs to be affected by this crisis. I beleive we are looking at some pretty dire things... even more systemic foreclosures, bankrupcies, bank failures if we don't attempt to do something soon.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
Just curious as to what people think. Is this new bailout a good idea? Will our economy totally crash if there is no bailout? Watching the news right now and some people say yes and others say a bailout is unamerican.
What say you?

this bailout is just another opportunity for banks to loan out more money to people who won't pay. if they go ahead, we'll be back here in a year or so with a bigger problem on our hands.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
At this point it's hard to believe anyone in this situation....
Because no one knows what is going to happen. The experts don't even fully know. We are in uncharted territory. You just have to pick a side, believe in it, and hope they do the right thing

Last edited by dugdogmaster; 09-24-2008 at 09:24 AM..

Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
I agree with almost everything you say in the post above... except the uncertainty of what remains after all of the chips fall if we just let things slide. Ron Paul says 1 yr of misery if we pass on the bailouts and 10 yrs of misery if we go through with them. I hope he's right. At this point it's hard to believe anyone in this situation.... especailly Hank Paulson and Ben Bernanke.

However we are at a critcal point in our American economy... we cannot afford long term unemployement. NYC is already predicting 40,000 jobs to be affected by this crisis. I beleive we are looking at some pretty dire things... even more systemic foreclosures, bankrupcies, bank failures if we don't attempt to do something soon.
The predictions so far is that a lot of jobs will be shed this year but they also predict a large net gain of employment for the next 5 years... but keep in mind... this is all "prediction" which means 50% chance of it happening and 50% chance of it not happening (otherwise known as random luck of predicting it right)...

Old 09-24-2008, 10:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Read please

William H. Gross - How Main Street Will Profit

If you still agree otherwise, and this does not go through, I wish you good luck and maybe I'll see ya out on the streets someday.
you missed the plot. I am not saying i agree or disagree with this plan. What I am saying is, you said the plan is un-American. I am pointing out to you that if this plan is so unamerican because of the amount of authority and lack of over sight given to paulson then you should ahve a look at the patriot act which is already in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics