Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Country in financial crisis, should military bases be closed and troops sent home to reduce government spending, no political discussion of shrinking military

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,860,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
movielover,
The US Armed Forces can't be used for Riot Control. That's against the constitution. Nation Guard can, but the federal troops can't unless Martial Law is going to be declared.
Let's hope there are no riots.

Hmm, destruction... that should help us save money!
I was waiting for someone to say that....and it's a thought that's popped into my head...

Dow crashes...country at war...Bush declares himself Supreme Leader of the USA...and Bill Gates activates the Doomsday Code built into every copy of Windows....

KABOOM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:26 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,270,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Dow crashes...country at war...Bush declares himself Supreme Leader of the USA...and Bill Gates activates the Doomsday Code built into every copy of Windows....

KABOOM!

Lovely!

Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I was waiting for someone to say that....and it's a thought that's popped into my head...

KABOOM!

Actually, the troops aren't costing us anything currently - but our national credit card is taking a hell of a hit...

Old 10-06-2008, 01:19 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,338,327 times
Depending on what happens....they may no longer WANT to come home. Dubai has more money, plenty of jobs and all those new buildings ready to move into.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,734,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
If we are in such a serious financial crisis, why are the politicians not talking about closing military bases and bringing home all our troops?

Would this even help?

I don't know much about the financial crisis but it also seems like to me that would be a way to cut costs.

Whether we should be or shouldn't have gone to Iraq I don't want to discuss, but if this would help our financial situation, and we truly are in such a dire situation, why would this not be done?

If this wouldn't make a difference to anything, then disregard and just post that Im wrong.
It would cost money to bring them back...and we DO need a military, after all.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Depending on what happens....they may no longer WANT to come home. Dubai has more money, plenty of jobs and all those new buildings ready to move into.
lol on that note

Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,227,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I think eventually china will be able to have a self sustaining economy in the future. Not exactly sure when but I believe it coming in the near future. They won't need us anymore sooner rather than later.
10, 12, 15 to 20 years for sure, but they are working toward that goal very steadily.

Quote:
Could you elaborate a little more on why South Africa is the place to be? You've got my interest peaked.
Not South Africa per se, but South America and sub-Saharan Africa, which would certainly include southern Africa, as well as South Africa.

You have 1 Billion people, of which about 750 Million have practically nothing. "Homeless" people in the US have more than they.

They're only in the 1st Phase of the 1st Economy and moving toward the 2nd Phase, which is the processing and export of raw materials, rather than merely exporting raw materials.

Eventually they'll move into the 1st Phase of the 2nd Economy, where they'll be producing heavy machinery, then the 2nd Phase where they'll be producing durable goods, like washing machines, dryers, hot water heaters, cars, and other personal vehicles, and materials for housing and housing construction.

Eventually they'll move into the 3rd Economy and start producing consumer goods.

The potential for expansion there is extraordinary. Sure there's some problems, but that is mostly the fault of the Europeans and the US, who use the "divide and conquer" scheme to put the smallest tribes in power and leave the largest tribes disenfranchised and without an wealth or hope of wealth and prosperity. The Chinese are successful because they're appealing to the disenfranchised. And yes, there are other problems like malaria, but that was a problem in the US. You drain the swamps and develop them for agriculture or industry, just like the US did.

In South America, you have more well developed urban areas, but the rural areas aren't developed at all.

One of the most damaging and embarrassing things to the US is the Canal and the trans-Andean highway. The US promised to build one for 75 years but always made excuses that it would harm the Canal. Even after the US dumped the Canal, it still made excuses for 30 years as to why it couldn't build it. The Chinese just jumped in there and started building it, and they're expanding the Canal. It's also a rail and pipeline system in addition to a highway. That'll allow China to pump oil across the Andes to terminals on the west coast, instead of sailing through the Canal, plus Chinese imports can be transported more cost effectively across the Andes and the Chinese can use the Canal for imports/exports to Africa.

The growth potential there is just explosive.

Of course that requires that those peoples be able to purchase commodities on the world market at reasonable prices, and they can't so long as US consumption is so excessive.

Quote:
My only issue with Iraq (at least the cost of it.) Is the amounts private contractors/mercenaries are making. I understand why these companies are asking for so much. They are in harms way. But my problem is, why can't some/most of the jobs be done by us military personal instead of contractors. Even if there is some inefficiencies it would cost us a lot less.
I have no explanation for that. It's astoundingly illogical.

After WW II the US military governors had contracting boards that awarded contracts to German firms to rebuild the infrastructure and maintain US military facilities. Working Germans are less likely to be involved in an insurgency.

The same is true for Iraq. Unemployed Iraqis make great insurgents. I fail to understand why the money wasn't given to the military governor to dole out to Iraqi companies to being rebuilding the infrastructure.

If someone wants to say it was done to enrich/reward a few friends of Bush or Cheney and others, I have no basis to disagree with that.

Quote:
Unless we are so weak or enlistment/reenlistment is so far down that we simple don't have the man power to do this. I have not heard anything like this out there so I think we can start replacing the contractors.
Actually the US could have activated US Army Reserve logistical units (S&T Battalions/Brigades as well as Engineer Battalions/Brigades), but why, when there are plenty of Iraqi truck drivers sitting around with nothing to do, except join the insurgency?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:55 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,807,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Do you think that the Russians and Chinese, maybe the Arabs as well, have helped to engineer this financial crisis?
Do you think China didn't know what they were doing when they were driving oil prices through the roof 'stocking up for the olympics'? For what its worth, they haven't been buying since the olympics ended.

I'm guessing that they were trying to cool off their overheated economy by making ours slow down.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I'm guessing that they were trying to cool off their overheated economy by making ours slow down.

Well, regardless of whose fault it is, our economy is definitely slowing down and I bet it will affect China's economy. We won't be importing as much crap from them.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,914,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
I really hope people blame me. I would love to be historys biggest A hole.
Too late...! You were crowned King long ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics