Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:01 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,790,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
davidt1,

floridasandy is correct.

It sounds pretty creepy, but she is right. I've read this before and it's what economist Micheal Hudson keeps saying as well. The democrats are leading this charge, and voting for Obama is not going to save us.

I say this, and I'm a democrat.
Do you not read too? I don't care who is in the White House. This isn't the politics forum. I was simply responding the misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
There were bubbles all over the economy..housing was just the first bubble to burst.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:17 AM

38 posts, read 71,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Really. Did you have a press conference or something?
I bet she would have had main stream media given her any attention.Plenty of people have been trying to warn others(myself included) but people are so brainwashed and deluded by main stream media,they think if CNN,Fox,or any other outlet hasn't told them,then it must not be true.
The cold hard facts are that our government lies to us on a daily basis.MSM lies to us.They try to paint a rosy picture so no one questions them so the game can go on.Those that have questioned are made to look like crazy people who choose tinfoil as their head wear.
All statistics from inflation to unemployment have been played with. 70% of our GDP is made from what we as a nation SPEND/CONSUME not from what we PRODUCE. Inflation is figured leaving out fuel and food.Do you know anyone who can live without heat,gas,and food? The unemployment formula was changed during Clinton years.Real unemployment right now is close to 15%.
No one in your major news outlets talks about these dirty little secrets.Congress and Senate decided to let the ones who caused this mess try to fix it with OUR money without OUR consent.The corruption is all around us,yet most Americans still sit on their behinds pretending everything is OK and refuse to find the truth for themselves.They prefer to be spoon fed by our media and told what to believe and how to react.
Those of us who are sick of the BS have tried to warn the rest but we have either been ignored or laughed at.I'm sorry but if/when the whole charade blows up I don't want to hear anyone that I've personally tried to warn say "but they never told us".

Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
We need to find this "Bubbles" character and lock her up.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melcee View Post
All statistics from inflation to unemployment have been played with. 70% of our GDP is made from what we as a nation SPEND/CONSUME not from what we PRODUCE. Inflation is figured leaving out fuel and food.Do you know anyone who can live without heat,gas,and food? The unemployment formula was changed during Clinton years.Real unemployment right now is close to 15%.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me (in plain language, not economic mumbo-jumbo) just how a Gross Domestic Product (which should mean "something") can be consumption? To bring it down to small terms, if I make aprons, I can sell them and make money. I am producing something. As long as I can continue to produce aprons, I will have income. How is it that we can buy something, and the fact that we bought something becomes "something."?

Now you can see how confused I am, and how much my head hurts from trying to figure this out.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:49 AM

The way I understand it and maybe I'm confused too as I did not major in economics ,all the money we spend(ie-housing,food,gas,entertainment,etc) is used to figure our GDP. So those $5.00 coffees and over priced houses made our GDP rise.Our actual net exports(what we export minus what we import) usually have a negative effect on our GDP. It is my belief that our GDP is greatly inflated because a lot of this spending was on credit and not cash.Once our easy credit days die(and they are) our GDP will contract greatly.Another reason I think these credit bubbles were manufactured because the more we consumers spend,the richer our country appears.If you take away our credit and just use what we have been producing, our economy sucks.Just my opinion anyway.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM

316 posts, read 692,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melcee View Post
. 70% of our GDP is made from what we as a nation SPEND/CONSUME not from what we PRODUCE.
This is what scares me ! If 70 Percent of economy is consumer
spending. and Alot of people are losing thier Jobs now !
Will this put our Nation into the "Greater Depression "
everyone is talking about?

MOUNTING LAYOFFS! WHY ITS DIFFRENT THIS TIME.
Jobs Market: Why the Mounting Layoffs Are Different This Time - Economy * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetway777 View Post
This is what scares me ! If 70 Percent of economy is consumer
spending. and Alot of people are losing thier Jobs now !
Will this put our Nation into the "Greater Depression "
everyone is talking about?

MOUNTING LAYOFFS! WHY ITS DIFFRENT THIS TIME.
Jobs Market: Why the Mounting Layoffs Are Different This Time - Economy * US * News * Story - CNBC.com
It sure looks that way. Take away our ability to spend,spend,spend via job losses and no more easy credit,there goes our GDP. When our GDP lowers our debt/GDP ratio goes way up as well. Smells like a S$%^ storm to me.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Can someone PLEASE explain to me (in plain language, not economic mumbo-jumbo) just how a Gross Domestic Product (which should mean "something") can be consumption? To bring it down to small terms, if I make aprons, I can sell them and make money. I am producing something. As long as I can continue to produce aprons, I will have income. How is it that we can buy something, and the fact that we bought something becomes "something."?

Now you can see how confused I am, and how much my head hurts from trying to figure this out.
We have turned into a consumer economy..not a producer economy.

Consumer economies thrive on "buying stuff" while producer economies thrive on "making stuff". Since most of the stuff is now made outside of the US..all we have left is "buying stuff" to keep the economy afloat.

Without money or credit (debt) we cannot buy stuff to keep the economy running. 70% of the GDP now depends on us "buying" or consuming goods not producing them. People with no money cannot buy.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
We have always been a big consumer economy but now are less of a producer of goods. But we in comparison to many emrging markets are becoming less of a fact in consumption. That is one reson that we have so liltte control on energy preice buy our consuption now days.Many american companies in fact where doingmuch better in increrasing sales in foreign markets.That is one reson our lessor demand for oil never had the effect that it did in the past because the places like China and india were expnading their oil needs much faster than US. It is now when the world demand in lowering that the prices are really falling in oil.IOn the above example 'you will only make money in producing those aprons as long as someone else doesn't produce them for less.If that apron compatitor is in a foreign country ;you might be able to sell their aprons and stya in business.Otherwise you go bankrupt.If you look many of the most profitable comapny have actual never produced anyhting even in the past. Their all about financing the product and actually getting the product to the final consumer.Look at what the financials having tighten money as done to many p-reoducers in the world. Its likje a huge clog in the pipeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics