Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times

Advertisements

I have a new business contract that will be paid in Euros, and most all payments to contractors will be paid in Euros.

Is there a way I can open a Euro-denominated bank account in the U.S. for my business, or do I need to go offshore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Doesn't EverBank offer something like this?

I'm not sure, but it's worth looking into.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:54 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Generally speaking you need to go offshore.

Alternatively you could open a futures account with a brokerage company and from there convert into dollars and transfer to a dollar bank account.

The US banking system is totally retarded when it comes to serving small foreign exchange transactions, meaning small exporters and service providers.

One more reason why the country has a, what, $700 billion annual trade deficit.

Oh yeah, the US banking system has been totally retarded when it comes to issuing mortgages and consumer loans.

One more reason why the country needed a $700 billion bail out.

In short, unless you are a corporation with multi-million dollar transactions, the US banking system will treat you like a retard.

However, there are some new products on the market if you are adept at fx trading, and I'm not sure I can mention them directly on the forum. PM me for specifics.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:42 PM

Everbank seems to have some interesting products, particular the world currencies money market account.

On the whole, though, I agree. I'm not very pleased with any of the banking services in this country. When I lived in Russia, I was able to have three bank accounts (EUR, USD and RUB) tied to one ATM card. Very convenient.

Why can't I get that here?

I don't need an account for performing foreign currency exchanges; I simply need it to accept Euros from a client (contract is in Euros) and make payments to contractors on the project (many of whom live in Europe and obviously want paid in Euros).

Old 11-02-2008, 01:39 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

Why can't I get that here?
Like I said, because the politicians and bankers want to treat you like a retard, to "protect you" from yourself. The most recent excuse is the patriot act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I don't need an account for performing foreign currency exchanges; I simply need it to accept Euros from a client (contract is in Euros) and make payments to contractors on the project (many of whom live in Europe and obviously want paid in Euros).
You are better off with an account in Europe with an IBAN. You can even open one in the UK, just need to explain why and bring whatever ID they require, maybe even a copy of the contract.

In the US, unless you are an elite client of a bank/brokerage, they will eat anywhere from 10% to 20% of your revenues in fees and mile-wide spreads ... and that's after you get a headache trying to fine a half-knowledgeable person to talk to.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 14,715 times
Were you able to open a Euro account for your US based business ?? I'm in the same situation and I'm not finding any viable solutions ... Any recommendations would be great !

Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiprb View Post
Were you able to open a Euro account for your US based business ?? I'm in the same situation and I'm not finding any viable solutions ... Any recommendations would be great !
No, I called EverBank, and they only do investment products, not current accounts. At this point, the project is small enough that it's not worth my while to open an offshore account in the islands or even in Europe, although if it grows, I will certainly look into doing that.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,352 times
Default Solution

There's a solution to your problem. I am also a business owner and I have been accepting foreign wires denominated in Euros for years. Wells Fargo FX Dept provides FX accounts in most of the world currencies, you can wire money in and out with a click of a button.

Let me know if you need any details.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:30 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Necro.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:12 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
To contribute a little more than that, google the term "non-resident account"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics