Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:02 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,260 times

Advertisements

Looking all financial problems going on right now, I am one big cause of it is the most Americans spend money like crazy. There seems only a handful of financially responsive people. Others just go out buy things they really don't need, even if they don't have money they just get Credit Cards, Loans, etc. Of course, most go buy expensive houses, multiple luxury car, phones, etc they really can't afford. Also, they don't have emergency cash. Which all leads to current problems.

I doubt, the problem will go away UNLESS everyone start acting financially responsible. People need to live within their incomes. They should buy only what need and put rest into savings / retirement funds. The US would be much better off if everyone was living a financially responsive life. Problem is people get attempted to buying what they want (Luxury house, cars, vacations, etc). Even if current problem is solved, it will come right back unless these irresponsible change their behavior!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 12:20 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,797 times
It’s true. Why do people go and spend three thousand dollars on a refrigerator? Why do people go and buy a 50in television? People have forgotten what it means to be thrifty. It might be because of the easy credit they can get to buy now and pay later. If one has cash they are more likely to haggle and shop around for the items they need. When using cash they stay within their budgets. With credit they are more likely to over purchase and get in trouble paying their monthly installments. Instead of saving money, customers will use their hard earned cash to pay the high interest rates on their purchases.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:39 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
well, the government certainly does not ecourage either saving or responsible behavior. Do you see the stimulus checks they are sending out and the irresponsible people they want to bailout, those that lived large on borrowed money? What sort of message is that sending to our society? It tells people that the government will shield you from any consequences for your bad behavior.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Looking all financial problems going on right now, I am one big cause of it is the most Americans spend money like crazy. There seems only a handful of financially responsive people. Others just go out buy things they really don't need, even if they don't have money they just get Credit Cards, Loans, etc. Of course, most go buy expensive houses, multiple luxury car, phones, etc they really can't afford. Also, they don't have emergency cash. Which all leads to current problems.

I doubt, the problem will go away UNLESS everyone start acting financially responsible. People need to live within their incomes. They should buy only what need and put rest into savings / retirement funds. The US would be much better off if everyone was living a financially responsive life. Problem is people get attempted to buying what they want (Luxury house, cars, vacations, etc). Even if current problem is solved, it will come right back unless these irresponsible change their behavior!
Yes, we know.

More people are saving and paying off debt, but that slows down the economy even more!

The bottom line is that the system is carrying too much debt and the interest on that debt is diverting money from the economy. Everything is slowing down. Just wait till January!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 02:45 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,057 times
Quote:
Even if current problem is solved, it will come right back unless these irresponsible change their behavior!
True. It used to be that people had 1 TV and 1 car, or 2 cars if they had 2 working parents. Now everyone seems to expect a computer, TV, and car for everyone in the family.

I was amazed at the open houses I went to when looking around and about everyone had a bigscreen TV. Even the townhouse where the couch was like 5 ft away.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:10 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, the government certainly does not ecourage either saving or responsible behavior. Do you see the stimulus checks they are sending out and the irresponsible people they want to bailout, those that lived large on borrowed money? What sort of message is that sending to our society? It tells people that the government will shield you from any consequences for your bad behavior.
Good hard working people shouldn't need government to encourage responsible behavior. In fact, I highly doubt they government will start making people live more sensible lifestyles and save money. Waiting for government to say "stop spending and save" isn't going to anywhere, people to start doing that on their own...

Old 11-09-2008, 03:37 PM

88 posts, read 301,234 times
I completely agree. This is one reason I have no credit cards. I would be urged to spend, spend, and spend some more. I do own 2 vehicles and a big screen. The big screen I have owned for almost 6 years and need 2 vehicles due to my work schedule conflicting with the kids activities that the wife needs to take them to. I am one that wasgoing to buy a house on one of the Adjustable, Interest Only type of plans but decided against it due to the worst case scenario......Wow I got lucky by deciding not to buy. I think the overnment should not be bailing out these industries. The American public is paying so these places can fail again. It is almost like we are paying for the goods they sell 2 times.......

Gib

Old 11-09-2008, 04:05 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,138 times
Quote:

The problem is that we don't produce goods anymore so the "spenders" are the ones that drive the economy. The prudent guy who saves and buys a new car every 10 years and lives in the same house for 20 years is a detriment to the this "great" consumer economy. As much as you laugh at your neighbor who is always in debt, buying things he can't afford on credit, he is the one driving the growth in the economy over the past 30 years. If we all start saving only, we make the recession worse. Look at the automakers when people quit buying.

We have created a monster.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:12 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
It’s true. Why do people go and spend three thousand dollars on a refrigerator? Why do people go and buy a 50in television? People have forgotten what it means to be thrifty. It might be because of the easy credit they can get to buy now and pay later. If one has cash they are more likely to haggle and shop around for the items they need. When using cash they stay within their budgets. With credit they are more likely to over purchase and get in trouble paying their monthly installments. Instead of saving money, customers will use their hard earned cash to pay the high interest rates on their purchases.
i agree with the premise of the thread
i will admit i bought my 52 inch lcd and it was worth every penny
however i paid in cash and can more than afford it

Old 11-09-2008, 04:16 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,280 times
duh, American economy relies heavily on consumerism. Sadly, that can backfire on the very same consumers as we're seeing now. I think Obama should start a revamped New Deal, implementing public spending and Government control over the economy. Once the economy booms again, loose the control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics