Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times

Advertisements

I'm out of a job. I just transferred to a four year school in a small college town. Stephenville, Texas fyi. The library was a good stable job for a college student. Worked full time and went to school full time at the local community college. I was able to study and day trade during my time off the desk. I made $760 bi weekly after FICA and county retirement with holdings.

Tuition is due this week and it's going to take my checking account to zero. I don't have a savings account. Any money I save gets transferred to my Roth. Unless something miraculous happens, I'll probably have to take out a student loan to get through the rest of college. I need to file for a tax return. About half way through the previous year though, I had my employer stop with holding income taxes, so I wont be getting much of a return, but anything helps. I think it's about $600. Tomorrow I'll be doing some serious job searching in this town. There are three convenience stores in the area that have job postings on the work in texas website. I'd take just about any job at this point. Rent is $225 a month plus utilities. I'm just going to put in an application everywhere. Something is bound to come through. Just need to get an interview and I'll be in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
I'm out of a job. I just transferred to a four year school in a small college town. Stephenville, Texas fyi. The library was a good stable job for a college student. Worked full time and went to school full time at the local community college. I was able to study and day trade during my time off the desk. I made $760 bi weekly after FICA and county retirement with holdings.

Tuition is due this week and it's going to take my checking account to zero. I don't have a savings account. Any money I save gets transferred to my Roth. Unless something miraculous happens, I'll probably have to take out a student loan to get through the rest of college. I need to file for a tax return. About half way through the previous year though, I had my employer stop with holding income taxes, so I wont be getting much of a return, but anything helps. I think it's about $600. Tomorrow I'll be doing some serious job searching in this town. There are three convenience stores in the area that have job postings on the work in texas website. I'd take just about any job at this point. Rent is $225 a month plus utilities. I'm just going to put in an application everywhere. Something is bound to come through. Just need to get an interview and I'll be in.
Maybe you'll need to put up with your 'noisy' roommate a bit longer. I'm sure you'll find a job because you are responsible and determined. Maybe a Roth account is something you might want to put off until you graduate? I think it's great you're thinking ahead, but you sound like you need a bit more of a cushion right now.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Maybe you'll need to put up with your 'noisy' roommate a bit longer. I'm sure you'll find a job because you are responsible and determined. Maybe a Roth account is something you might want to put off until you graduate? I think it's great you're thinking ahead, but you sound like you need a bit more of a cushion right now.

Good luck to you.
LOL. It's cool though. Really. I've got another place lined up and rent will be the same. No deposit either. Something will turn up. It has to. How can I offer my 10% to the one this world belongs to if I have nothing to give? I ought to get involved with a church here, but I can't stand the bureaucracy and politics that go along with major denominations. I guess I'm a lutheran, but I don't need the ELCA or the MS telling me what to believe.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Go fishing and cook the fish -- even ones w/ 3 eyeballs
Plant a garden
Raise chickens - to heck w/ covenants!
Live in a tent
Pray
Be happy

Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
I have money saved up.

For everyone else, they become criminals. Gotta do what ya gotta do to put food on the table right?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,920 times
I understand this original post was set in a hypothetical tone but it made me wonder why some don't put in place some of the changes they would make if they lost their job now so that they could have a softer fall if a job loss truly were to happen. Why do we all wait for the shoe to drop and then scramble to figure out how we will survive. I think this is a big problem in this county, the paycheck to paycheck mentality, it just doesn't allow for things to happen without having a bad outcome for some.

My house is paid for because I own a modest home that I could afford to payoff not just sustain the cost of the monthly mortgage. I don't have credit card debt because I don't buy things I can't afford--- I buy things when I need them and when I have saved up for them. I don't understand this whole desire for immediate gratification as it sets one up for little happiness and lack of being content in one's life.

If my husband lost his job tomorrow we have plenty to sustain ourselves because we have always lived knowing that there is a possibility that could happen someday and we live well below our means. And I do not say that in any sort of arrogance as we have made great sacrafices and had to change our mindset so that we don't live our lives in fear of job loss.

I think if we all lived as if we were losing our job tomorrow a lot of this financial mess never would have happened.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:43 AM

523 posts, read 2,906,090 times
I've thought about this a lot recently because my company is doing poorly and we've already had two rounds of layoffs. I would likely receive about 2 months of severance from my employer and I would file for unemployment. I would start working with headhunters and my business school's alumni career services center. While I was out of work, I would sublet my bedroom (I already rent two of the bedrooms in my house) and use some savings to travel the world. I've always wanted to take a few months off to travel. I've been to nearly 30 countries so far but only for 1-2 weeks at a time. I would prefer true immersion in a couple of other cultures. I would spend at least part of that time doing some sort of community service in an other country (Habitat for Humanity or the like). Finally, there would be time to enjoy life, learn a new language, and do more philanthropic activities! After I came back, my new language skills and experience would make me an even better, more interesting candidate for some of the jobs I would be interested in so hopefully I could get a career boost!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I understand this original post was set in a hypothetical tone but it made me wonder why some don't put in place some of the changes they would make if they lost their job now so that they could have a softer fall if a job loss truly were to happen. Why do we all wait for the shoe to drop and then scramble to figure out how we will survive. I think this is a big problem in this county, the paycheck to paycheck mentality, it just doesn't allow for things to happen without having a bad outcome for some.

My house is paid for because I own a modest home that I could afford to payoff not just sustain the cost of the monthly mortgage. I don't have credit card debt because I don't buy things I can't afford--- I buy things when I need them and when I have saved up for them. I don't understand this whole desire for immediate gratification as it sets one up for little happiness and lack of being content in one's life.

If my husband lost his job tomorrow we have plenty to sustain ourselves because we have always lived knowing that there is a possibility that could happen someday and we live well below our means. And I do not say that in any sort of arrogance as we have made great sacrafices and had to change our mindset so that we don't live our lives in fear of job loss.

I think if we all lived as if we were losing our job tomorrow a lot of this financial mess never would have happened.
That's what me and my boyfriend currently do. Both of our companies are doing exceptionally well (my company is actually expanding and building a new multimillion dollar facility this year, and his is building 3 new facilities in Europe) but we save nearly half of our income for our 'rainy day fund'. We want a minimum of 6 months of funds saved and accruing interest. We currently rent out two of my houses 4 bedrooms, so the first thing would be to (begrudgingly I might add) move ourselves back into one room and rent out the second. That alone would cover rent and utilities. After that, we could easily survive off of one income. Credit cards are paid off, no mortgage and our landlord is in the Army so he won't be going into forclosure any time soon. We're very, very lucky.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
I've thought about this a lot recently because my company is doing poorly and we've already had two rounds of layoffs. I would likely receive about 2 months of severance from my employer and I would file for unemployment. I would start working with headhunters and my business school's alumni career services center. While I was out of work, I would sublet my bedroom (I already rent two of the bedrooms in my house) and use some savings to travel the world. I've always wanted to take a few months off to travel. I've been to nearly 30 countries so far but only for 1-2 weeks at a time. I would prefer true immersion in a couple of other cultures. I would spend at least part of that time doing some sort of community service in an other country (Habitat for Humanity or the like). Finally, there would be time to enjoy life, learn a new language, and do more philanthropic activities! After I came back, my new language skills and experience would make me an even better, more interesting candidate for some of the jobs I would be interested in so hopefully I could get a career boost!
How do you like living in Charlotte? I know you put a lot of thought into what area of the country you wanted to move to. Did you end up buy a place there? I think travel sounds like a great idea!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post

You sound like the determined type that will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics