Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times

Advertisements

I think someone(financiers) are trying to mobilize us for war. We now have our popular president + depression..Those are two ingredients very well suited for it. Now as I suspect as they have dried up the civilian alternatives for work and the military build up is underway. A very clever silent draft. Now I look for a pretext probably against Iran. Same old thing, depressions precede a war.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/19/us/19recruits.html

Or maybe its all just random.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,994,734 times
I think you need to reinforce your tin foil hat, loony!

(I'm joking...I actually wonder the same thing sometimes.)

Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Dunno, haven't seen any black helicopters today.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:16 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I think you need to reinforce your tin foil hat, loony!

(I'm joking...I actually wonder the same thing sometimes.)

Hi J Arp,

If depressions were so difficult to solve then I would think its crazy. However they are not difficult to solve at all for those who know. A simple suspension of the income tax and the problem is solved. This silent draft is just so convenient. It reminds me of the FDR and Wilson eras.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,430,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi J Arp,

If depressions were so difficult to solve then I would think its crazy. However they are not difficult to solve at all for those who know. A simple suspension of the income tax and the problem is solved.
You can't honestly be serious? You truly believe that the "fix" is that simple?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:33 PM

8,982 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
You can't honestly be serious? You truly believe that the "fix" is that simple?
It would certainly encourage consumer spending; but it would not solve all the problems.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:36 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,430,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
It would certainly encourage consumer spending; but it would not solve all the problems.
It wouldn't even begin to touch most of the problems. I'm not even convinced that it would do much to increase consumer spending. People are hoarding cash. Giving them more of it won't necessarily change that behavior because the root problems still exist.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
It wouldn't even begin to touch most of the problems. I'm not even convinced that it would do much to increase consumer spending. People are hoarding cash. Giving them more of it won't necessarily change that behavior because the root problems still exist.
If I had an extra 200 dollars a month; I would certainly curtail my hoarding! There are so many problems that need addressed that simply suspending the income tax will obviously not cure everything. But from a consumer spending standpoint; it couldn't hurt.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I think someone(financiers) are trying to mobilize us for war. We now have our popular president + depression..Those are two ingredients very well suited for it. Now as I suspect as they have dried up the civilian alternatives for work and the military build up is underway. A very clever silent draft. Now I look for a pretext probably against Iran. Same old thing, depressions precede a war.

There have been warning signs the past couple of years that the economy was going to fall into a rut soon. If you were not aware, you were not paying attention. The state of the economy comes as a surprise to no one who has been paying attention; and no it is not random.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:48 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,512,471 times
Default my tinfoil hat.

Quote:

Ok. I going to have fun with this and run with wild speculation.

So...tinfoil hat on!

I don't think Iran is big enough to bring forth any economic miracles. I would have to be china that we throw down with. And while there is anti-Chinese sentient out there. I don't thing we have enough of it yet to have the will to fight. To be honest I think it will probably take a decade just to get the resentment level up to a point of even considering going to war. Also we have to take into account that we really can't do this large of a gig by ourselves we are going to need allies. Yeah Britain is willing to go down the tubes with us....but who else? France..maybe...Russia..no..Spain...who cares...Germany..?????? Germany.
Hold on for a second and let me ramble slighly off the current thought here. Now Germany won't join us but I bet you they will supply us.....and perhaps the Chinese as well. In fact I betcha Germany is the one country in the end that would make out if we did throw down with china. They maybe the next/return to superpower status after it all said and don't. And of course Switzerland will make out as usual. They always do.
Anyhow to get back to the U.S. vs. China I'm not sure how we are going to pull our allies together to do it. But I guess it could happen. Now if we (U.S.) did go to war with china this would allow for international arms corporations and the people who finance them to make alot of money and it would get American working together in a big way. The problems though for us (Americans) this time as oppose to WWII is that Europe probably won't be the ones that have there land scared by bombs. We maybe the ones decimated by the conflict. in essence we may look like Germany did after WWII and out ability to produce goods could be shattered. And unlike last world war there maybe no Marshall plan for us (America) to recover. Of course this won't really matter to the "evil" bankers (if they exist). They will just get rich. And get ready to further their growth by lend the money to rebuild what we and china have destroyed.

OK...tinfoil hat off. Actually I'm going to keep it on. I get pretty good radio reception with this thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics