Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions and comments on flat consumption tax, fair tax and economy, fiat, property taxes, sales tax, consume more tax more, consume less tax less

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:34 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,881,463 times

Advertisements

Don't tax any income from business or individual. Instead apply a flat consumption tax. The more you consume the more you pay.

If you are rich, you won't just keep the money in your bank account. You'll reinvest it. Perhaps build a new factory, buy stock, buy land whatever.

I guess you could also tax business profits that are leaving the country (ie. owned by a foreigner).

This system would also attract many wealthy people, who wouldn't want to come to this country and pay zero taxes on their dividend income?

Also many people wouldn't hold fiat due to it's poor track record with inflation. People would receive their wages and business profits in fiat paper. If they don't spend the money buying assets or reinvesting they'll surely be wasting their hard earned money.

So you would have taxes like:
property taxes
sales tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,775,451 times
Sounds like the fair tax.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Sounds like the fair tax.
Oh yea. I was reading the fair tax entry and it sounds amazing

Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,546,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Oh yea. I was reading the fair tax entry and it sounds amazing
Amazing and it will work. So pretty much count on it never happening. We can't have our congress or illegal immigrants paying taxes. That would just be unfair.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Amazing and it will work. So pretty much count on it never happening. We can't have our congress or illegal immigrants paying taxes. That would just be unfair.
As much as I would hate to agree with you. Unfortunately, you are right.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 AM

460 posts, read 1,141,584 times
I hate keeping track of paperwork so much for tax purposes I would love not having to worry about that :-)

Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,506,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
The biggest problem I have with this "Fair Tax" is how to you define "retail". If an airline buys fuel from a supplier to fuel it's planes, does it have to also pay a 30% tax on that fuel? What about if steel companies buy raw iron ore? Is that a retail sale from the mine? So now the steel company pays 30% on materials bought to make the retail product, and then they also have to pay 30% tax on the finished product?

The Fair Tax would increase tangible based corporations expenses 30% overnight. Even if they make a profit or not, corporations would be paying taxes. I can see that putting quite a few out of business.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:44 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,171,331 times
You are talking about a national sales tax. If you handled it like state and local sales tax, it could also become quite complicated. For example, to be fair to those who make less money, you would have to exempt things like groceries, medical items like prescriptions and OTC drugs, and other necessities. You would also most likely have exceptions, such as sales for resale, in order to not pyramid the tax to the point that a consumer would never be able to afford the item. If not, imagine if at each step of the process a tax would apply - let's say you were buying a chair. If the guy who chopped down the tree had to collect tax on the sale of the wood to the lumber yard, and then the lumber guy had to collect tax on the sale of the lumber to the lumber finisher, and then he collected tax on the sale to the chairmaker, and then he collected tax on the sale to the wholesaler, and he collected on the sale to the retailer, by the time you bought the chair the price would be through the ceiling.

If you talk to experts in the state and local tax area, most will tell you that sales and use tax law is a lot more complicated than it seems on it's face. Not that I think this is necessarily a bad idea. Just that it isn't as simple as it seems.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,546,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The biggest problem I have with this "Fair Tax" is how to you define "retail". If an airline buys fuel from a supplier to fuel it's planes, does it have to also pay a 30% tax on that fuel? What about if steel companies buy raw iron ore? Is that a retail sale from the mine? So now the steel company pays 30% on materials bought to make the retail product, and then they also have to pay 30% tax on the finished product?

The Fair Tax would increase tangible based corporations expenses 30% overnight. Even if they make a profit or not, corporations would be paying taxes. I can see that putting quite a few out of business.

The idea is that since all current taxes would be gone, you would get a company then lowering prices to attempt to get more customers. Other companies would then follow suit. The 23% or 30% tax then on top of that would bring the cost of good to about the same level they are right now.

It goes into depth in the book about it. Apparently have been tons of studies done on this showing how it would work great.

As for you Corp question, yes I think they would pay taxes on the materials they buy, but that is the only tax they would pay. The Corporation would obivously pass that tax on to the consumer, but with the removal of all other taxes it apparently doesn't make any difference in the cost of goods or doing business.

Something like that. The Fair Tax book is a really interesting read.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,506,814 times
I disagree that a 30% tax would bring the cost of goods to their current level with our after tax dollars. GM for example will be paying multiple 30% taxes on the products they buy to put into their cars, and their producers will be paying multiple 30% taxes on the materials they buy to make those products...etc. etc. Read janetvj's post, it expands on my concerns.

We'll end right back where we are now, with loopholes to define what a retail product is, etc. and lots of complicated tax code.

Edited to add: Have you ever been to China town in NYC? The asians deal almost exclusive in cash. Why? I will let you figure that out. Think about all the under the table dealings that will go on with a 30% tax!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics