Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:40 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,027 times

Advertisements

an attitude like that will make the recession deeper. the only reason the dow is up is because people are taking advantage of the low share prices and are starting to buy. what this will do is cause share prices to rise (because the dow is up) which will turn more people away from buying stocks, thus causing the stock buyers to lose money because they have no one to sell to (prices too high) which means they have to hold on to the shares because no one is buying stocks because they drove the prices up. it is confusing, i know. but, if you dont listen to the tv then DONT listen to them when they tell you to buy. you cant pick and choose what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 04:48 PM

also, since they drove the price up and made less people want to buy then stocks will go down again along with share prices and the cycle will continue. but be warned, the higher the dow goes the further it will come down. so if we keep seeing these bear market rallies then the dow will get higher each time then when they stop the dow will get lower each time. remember when we had that 150 point gain from the chinese stimulus plan? it was met with a 250 point drop the next week, because it did nothing to make people wanna buy. this is also the reason we will ALWAYS have recessions with a capitalized market.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:50 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
Don't let 'em get ya down. The crisis is over. Time to jump back in the market! Hurry on in there, now!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:55 PM

this is also the reason why when the dow gets too high (like in 1929 and 2007) a recession is bound to follow. those same stocks that were $100+/share can now be purchased under a $1. but what ever, do what you want.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Don't let 'em get ya down. The crisis is over. Time to jump back in the market! Hurry on in there, now!
the way you said that makes it sound like you KNOW that this will happen, yet you are trying to encourage a depression. dont be an idiot.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:03 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Lots of opportunity. I bought two stocks, one yesterday and one last week, and wrote March calls on both of them. Both are well above the strike price as of today. Either I will get called out next Friday and only realise around 15% or the market will fall back and I get to rewrite the call.

Either way works for me.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,968 times
Do some research on the market during the Great Depression. The market rallied for two months just before the last big correction.
Seems like a repeat to me in this suckers rally. I agree, with all the spending and foreclosures that need to be absorbed, the Dow will fall dramatically again when people wake up and see that nothing has changed for the better.
God I hope I am wrong.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Do some research on the market during the Great Depression. The market rallied for two months just before the last big correction.
Seems like a repeat to me in this suckers rally. I agree, with all the spending and foreclosures that need to be absorbed, the Dow will fall dramatically again when people wake up and see that nothing has changed for the better.
God I hope I am wrong.
YOU ARE NOT WRONG! but you know, anyone who doesnt think people will start break dancing on wall st. and skittles will rain from the sky is a gloom and doomer.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:17 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
God I hope I am wrong.
That is why you have to look short term.

I wrote a 50 cent call on a $2.50 stock and I am selling them on a month by month basis. I don't need to sell many calls to have a zero cost base.

My pension money .... that is all in cash equivalents.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That is why you have to look short term.

I wrote a 50 cent call on a $2.50 stock and I am selling them on a month by month basis. I don't need to sell many calls to have a zero cost base.

My pension money .... that is all in cash equivalents.
so you dont care how your actions today will make the economy the same way years or even months later? you just care about personal gain is all. making short term plans in a recession will not stop it from happening again. well, like i said, do what you want! your actions will only effect you later in life. i did the smart thing and stopped investing in the irresponsible stock market. look at wamu (dead), citigroup (dying), GM (dying), chrysler (dying), ect ect. dont invest in companies like these and dont listen to so called professionals (in september 07 some guy said wamu was a strong company and worth the money. now look! its dead and i bet thousands invested in that company just to lose money). if you have to buy, then buy gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics