Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,210 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever noticed if things get better (recession wise) during the warmer months? Real Estate usually booms around this time...I wonder what will happen....people are happier around this time of year, I know I am....what do you guys think? Maybe its just wishful thinking....my husband is unemployed so I guess I am just hanging on to any glimmer of hope that things will get better and people will start hiring again...please don't bash me...just thinking out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well RE didn't boom last spring. Foreclosure rates may boom though but I don't think you're looking for that type of "happy" news

Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Most of the forecasts I see (apart from the doom and gloom fanatics that see the end of the world coming) see a recovery starting in 2nd or 3rd qtr 2010. Maybe tempered and slowed by some pretty bad inflation if all Obama's spending wishes are granted. Nothing this summer. As with all recoveries, the last thing to come back will be the jobs.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:10 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Most of the forecasts I see (apart from the doom and gloom fanatics that see the end of the world coming) see a recovery starting in 2nd or 3rd qtr 2010. Maybe tempered and slowed by some pretty bad inflation if all Obama's spending wishes are granted. Nothing this summer. As with all recoveries, the last thing to come back will be the jobs.
Remember, those are just "forecasts". A lot of the same forecasters were saying everything was going to pick up the first quarter of 09'. Does it feel like its picking up to you? Me either.

I'm hoping the summer time will bring about more business and help get the economy out of the near depression we are in but I don't see that happening for a long time. We have to first stop losing 500k to 700k jobs every month.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times
Things will get better. They are already getting better. I'm mildly optimistic that we have reached the bottom and are climbing out.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:11 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Things will get better. They are already getting better. I'm mildly optimistic that we have reached the bottom and are climbing out.
I hope your right! I am curious to see the numbers this month for unemployment...hopefully not alot but even one lost job it too much

Old 03-13-2009, 03:26 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Once the banks stabalize (which we are seeing) and start loaning again, and once companies stop laying people off we will begin to see things get better. Even here in MI. at last weeks business expo in my city, attendance was the same as last year and many companies said they booked quite a bit of business for the year. Also a buddy of mine who was laid off last fall from a company that builds all kinds of machines said he is getting called back in April. They went from an order of 14 machines to 47. And these are LARGE machines so they will be busy for a while. Don't get me wrong, we are a long, long, way from getting there...but if we can string together a whole bunch of little things like this, then things will look much better. I like the thought of spring and summer coming because people will spend more, but will we lose all that momentum come fall and summer?? I think the initial shock and reality of things are beginning to subside. The unemployment numbers are what really sucks.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:34 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Remember, those are just "forecasts". A lot of the same forecasters were saying everything was going to pick up the first quarter of 09'. Does it feel like its picking up to you?
I think you're ignoring some signs that things aren't getting any worse, may be bottoming, and could start back up. Consumer spending numbers are much better than expected for Jan & Feb, and the banks are all saying that the worst is over and they made money so far in Q1. If you listen to the technicians talk about the market, they all agree that we could test bottom again, but that all the talk about the DOW at 5K was probably nonsense and that a sustained rally could be in the cards for Q3/Q4.

I'm not saying all is fine and we're out of the woods, but I have not heard anyone talking Q2/3 of 2010. Everything I've heard is pointing to a slow and shallow recovery beginning probably in Q4 2009. Employment always lags the actual start of the recovery by months, so when it starts, we will be in a recovery and not even know it, while still seeing bad unemployment numbers.

The people claiming the end of the world, doom and gloom, and a complete meltdown are just not living in the real world. Could a recovery not take hold until mid-2010....sure, but it will come.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
And then this: Obama's Auto Task force just hired a bankruptcy lawyer for advice.

U.S. autos task force hires bankruptcy lawyer (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090313/bs_nm/us_autos_lawyer_1 - broken link)

And then..it's also "Failed Bank Friday" so in an hour or two we get to see how many banks the FDIC took over this week.

There are so many mixed signals coming from all walks of the economy that no one can be sure of anything anymore.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
alt a reset graph - Google Image Search

No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics